brake drums - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > brake drums

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 03-16-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
rustyCJ

brake drums

i can't get a drum off! i am trying to pull an 11" drum off of a 78 amc20. the adjuster screw is rusted solid and even after soaking it everyday for a week with penetrating oil it is still solid. how can i get this drum off?

another question, how do you change out a BENT wheel stud?

Unread 03-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #2
Brandon Miller

bust it off and beat it through for the stud I'd say
Brandon Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
79Renegade

Brandon pretty much said it.
I've fought a few of them also. You can also get a couple pry bars and wedge between drum and backing plate and try to loosen up. Usually the drum will start to break apart if it is old and rusted.Becareful not to hose up the backing plate.
As with the wheel stud, if it isn't bent too much ,you should be able to pound or press out.If bent bad, cut off and knock out remaining stud. If axle is still on jeep it may be hard to pound back in. You can try to put a nut on the front tighten to pull stud through.

Greg
79Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
Brandon Miller

I've never beat one on - just put a nut on it and pull it through gently, works every time
Brandon Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

rusty:

You can find drum brake pullers at most auto parts stores.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2003, 06:25 PM   #6
rustyCJ

Quote:
Originally posted by CJeep
rusty:

You can find drum brake pullers at most auto parts stores.
what exactly are they and what do they do? i dunno what one is but i dont think it would be any help to me. if i am wrong let me know. my problem is the drum is being held up by the shoes and the adjuster nut is rusted solid so no backing the shoes off. anyone else ever had this problem, a broken adjuster or something similar maybe?

about the wheel stud, here was the deal. the axle was dropped and and the wheel stud was bent at the base and broke off just above the bend. there was nothing left to beat on to break off. i took a grinder to it today and cut it flush with the hub and used a C-frame press and pressed out what was left.
Unread 03-18-2003, 11:11 AM   #7
79Renegade

A brake drum puller is similar to a regular puller. It grabs the back of the drum with the claws and the shaft is put on the center of the hub.By tightening, it is suppose to pull the drum off.
I didn't mention the puller because the drums I tried getting off wouldn't have come off with a puller. You can try one if you can get a hold of one, it may save the drum.

I busted mine off on my current project, they were 10" drums(not too much to them and rusty). I know the 11" drums I did a year ago were finned and pretty heavy duty!!
A puller may work on the heavy duty 11" drums if not badly rusted.

Greg

Last edited by 79Renegade; 03-18-2003 at 11:15 AM..
79Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.