Brake Combination Valve/Proportioning Valve Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Brake Combination Valve/Proportioning Valve Question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Wrangler1642
1979 CJ7 

Brake Combination Valve/Proportioning Valve Question

Hello,

first time posting so bear with me....

Question is for an 84' Jeep Scrambler. front disc and rear drums.

I have a question regarding the brake combination/proportioning valve.

First off is the entire unit called the combination valve and only a section of it the proportioning valve? From what I know only the rear drums are connected to the proportioning valve; is that correct?

Is what I labeled as the proportioning valve in the picture correct or is it internal?

Here is a link to the pictures if the photos dont work

Flickr: Wrangler1642's Photostream

Second off when I removed the entire unit and was cleaning it up, I noticed on the section that the rear brake line connects to HAD a small little rubber seal and washer that held it in place on the bottom of what I believe to be the proportioning valve.

The retaining washer and seal fell apart while I was cleaning the unit. If I had known better I would have avoided brushing that area but too late now.

So at the moment the seal and washer are missing but the entire unit seems fine except for this little exposed hole where the seal was.

Am I still able to use the valve even if this seal is missing or do I have to get a new unit?

Any ideas?

Unread 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

the whole thing you have there is the proportioning valve. not sure how important that little piece of rubber is, probably just keeps dirt away from that hole but nothing should entering or leaving through that hole while your driving...
i just pulled the valve off mine in preparation for replacing all the steel lines. I'm hoping i can re-use my prpotioning valve as they are kind of expensive and not available locally.
jpywell52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.