boxed frame idea... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > boxed frame idea...

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

boxed frame idea...

Since most of the boxed frames rust from the inside out, I was thinking of a way to clean the rust and prevent the cancer. Since I had to cut off the rear crossmember I purchase a cheap chimney sweep on stealbay that I am going to trim down and run it through the frame. Then por-15 it of using the marine clean and metal ready. Whacha think about those apples.

Unread 09-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Yeah I did the same thing basically. But I took a sponge and tied a really long rope to it ( in the middle) and then pulled it through rear to front and back again out the rear.

But who knows how much crap I just painted over. I know the insides of my frame were bad news. I stood it up and all kinds of small rust chunks would come out. And I sand pressure washed it out. And then let it dry and phospo etched it. then did the paint trick. Cost me less then 100 bucks as opposed to the 500 I was looking at the galvanize. Although I wish it were galvanized but it is what it is.

Hopefully I have welded it back together with enough metal!
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

I thought about doing that but the frame I have is in pretty good condition and I didnt see any spots that looked like they might be weak or thin, besides when this frame starts rusting out, I will make my own frame thta is stronger and cleaner
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

well hopefully by doing this the frame will outlast me...
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraman72 View Post
Since most of the boxed frames rust from the inside out, I was thinking of a way to clean the rust and prevent the cancer. Since I had to cut off the rear crossmember I purchase a cheap chimney sweep on stealbay that I am going to trim down and run it through the frame. Then por-15 it of using the marine clean and metal ready. Whacha think about those apples.
If the brush has steel bristles, don't do it. I had the same idea.

I bought a 5" square steel bristle chimney brush, then trimmed it down, with a cutting wheel.

I trimmed, then tried it, trimmed some more, tried it, etc. When I thought I had it trimmed enough, I shoved it in the rear opening of the frame...about 4" in.

It was nearly impossible to get out!! The bristles will face the direction of the push, when entering, but do not want to reverse themselves, when you go to pull the brush back out!

Of course, I finally got it, but it was a hassle.

I ended up buying a 7pc. engine cleaning brush kit, with abrasive, nylon bristles, and shoved them into frame holes. I did the best that I could, then blew the frame out with air. Good enough.

I'm going to spray boiled linseed oil in there, and call it a day.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

would be funny driving around with a chimney brush hanging out the *** end of my frame....
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
datmony
1986 CJ7 

Boiled linseed is a great option. That is what anyone who has steel bicycles uses to keep the in good shape. Been being done since before the turn of the century and that stuff lasts forever and a day. Good call rixcj.
datmony is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.