Bought my first cj5 today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bought my first cj5 today

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Bought my first cj5 today

Hi All. I am new to this forum. This is the first of many questions im sure. I have a 1980 cj5 that is going to be my weekend driver/restoration project. the first question I have is about the color of the interior floor pans. Were they the same color as the body? Mine are black, the jeep is tan. The reason I ask is because I thought this jeep was mostly unmolested. I was looking it over today and saw that under the paint around the transmission shifter and on top of the rear wheel wells was what looks like fabric tape. It seems stock to me, but I am not sure.

is this stock/normal or has someone done something silly here? I have posted a pic of the jeep. I dont have any of the interior yet. As you can see from the pic, i had a little trouble getting home with it. I went through 2 tires on the way back and a 2 hour trip took 4. But we got there.

Here is a link to the photobucket photo.
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...Cj5/photo1.jpg

thanks for the help

tdagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Welcome to the club!!! It will be a love hate relationship

kov
kovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

Looks like a nice Jeep. It is a good thing that DOT did not see you chain up that axle, you would have got parked in a hurry. I am pretty sure all the Jeeps came with floors the same color as the body. Is there much rust on it? what engine?
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
lordhelemt

Either a respray or new floorboards. Interior matched exterior from the factory.
lordhelemt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
CJ_Rick
1978 CJ5 

My CJ's body was originally red and I just went out and looked under the carpet and the front floor pan looks to be black. Can't swear that it came that way but I know I didn't do it, although the PO did have the jeep repainted but I doubt he took the carpet out.
78CJ5, 304, 4" BDS lift 1"body, Wide track axles, Powertrax noslip locker front & Detroit locker rear,4:56, 35s, Tera Low, Warn 9.5ti Winch, TKHFAB Rock Angles, Rock bumpers front & rear...
2012 JKU.
2012 JK, 2"lift, 32"BFG's, JCR Dagger stubby front bumper, Warn 9.5cti winch.
CJ_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Yeah I was ready to be pulled over the whole time. It has the straight 6 in it with a 4 speed manual. Not too much rust in it. It needs some new floor boards just in the very bottom because someone put in a aftermarket roll bar, which got mud and water under it and rusted them out. It has 2 spots on the rear where the bottom corners of the tailgate would be, and the passenger side fender has a few small rust spots, but not holes on it. I am planning on fixing the floors soon, and driving it this summer, then pulling the body to paint it and get the underside looking good. It is not going to be a trail rig, but a weekend around town jeep. Im almost certain the paint on the outside is original. I will post some pics later this week of what I am talking about.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

I have had my 1981 CJ5 for a little more than a month. I made my first online parts order the day I brought it home. Had $500.00 in new items before the License Plates came for it.
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

i havent ordered anything yet. I plan on putting some floor boards in in the next few weeks. Other than that I am waiting til this winter to tear it apart and paint it
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Tdagner I do believe I have been seeing this one on Craigslist lately. I am in Raleigh but like to scan around the state to see whats out there. Thats how I got my $1000 cj5 steal. Congratulations
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

Tdagner BTW I used to live on Main Street in Salisbury in the early 70's A favorite place to go was W. LEE FILE's general store on Bringlefarey (sp) Road, I think it was. Home of the lovely Cheerwine!
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Smitty-Yep, got it in Raleigh. I am in Raleigh on work for a week out of every month, so I found it on my down time.

Drugcop4, small world. W Lees place was WAAAY before my time, but I just asked my dad and he remembers it. And yep, cheerwine is one of the best things to come out of Salisbury.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.