Bought my first CJ today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bought my first CJ today

97-06 Jeep TJ 03-06 LJ 4" Rough Country Suspension liRancho Shocktober is here for fall 2015!!!!You Pick the Size and Style of Lift Kit. We will Find you

Unread 05-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Rich_S

Bought my first CJ today

1979 CJ7, 258 I6, T18A, Dana 20. Combo I've been looking for for awhile. Has a 4" suspension lift and some other HD parts. Body and interior are kind of rough, but I bought it as an offroad toy.

I drove it home 140 miles after buying it, and it runs well.

I have a few questions as I'm looking underneath it and not sure what some of the things I'm looking at are.

For example, what's with these spring eyes? I've never seen a gap like this before. The inner leaf wraps around the bushing like you'd expect, but WTF is the other one? Is that some sort of weird add a leaf or something? Front and back are the same.

Also, , what is that bushing under the t-case? Is that a transmission mount? Is the skidplate being used as a cross member or something?

Finally, I don't think this is a stock CJ roll bar and sound bar, looks like it is either custom or came out of a YJ:

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'll put up more pics in a little bit.

Rich_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

Military wrap springs. They're an upgrade. I'd like a set if I could find them on the type of springs I run. The bushing looks like the t-case anti torque arm. The skid plate IS the crossmember. It's dual purpose. Looks like it has a 1" drop too.

1978 CJ5 Wheeler
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 all stock daily driver
TIPPEDITOVER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
Rich_S

Thanks, great info.

A few more pics:

A lot of the stuff is custom fabbed, which I guess is good and bad. Good because it looks pretty solid (the floor pan is pretty thick mild steel not sheet metal for example, and the frame has been redone. Also the bumpers are custom.) But potentially bad if some off the shelf stuff doesn't fit. We'll see how it works out.

I didn't take any of the exterior, but these are some he sent me before I bought it:

Yes, those are trailer hitches at each bumper corner, apparently for righting the Jeep with a hitch mounted winch should it tip over.

I'm on my second JKU as a DD and have in the past owned a TJ and a YJ, but this is my first CJ. I have a lot to learn, trying to take it all in.
Unread 05-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
Gratefulcaver
1983 CJ7 

Congrats !
I like the picture with the woman in the back sitting on the steps crying because she knows just how much time and money your going to spend on this new rig lol...
Gratefulcaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Yikes, might be time for a longer rear driveshaft?
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post

Also, , what is that bushing under the t-case? Is that a transmission mount? Is the skidplate being used as a cross member or something?

I forget the correct name, but it is part of the torque arm on the transmission mount.
Unread 05-31-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Overall, not a bad looking CJ.

I agree, that rear driveshaft is dangerously extended. And it doesn't appear there is enough lift to necessitate a dropped t-case. I'd lose that.

Lastly, you're going to hate where your exhaust pipe exists, if you ever take the top off. Exhaust fumes will boil back into the cab due to the aerodynamics. It should exit at a 45 at the rear drivers corner.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Overall, not a bad looking CJ.

I agree, that rear driveshaft is dangerously extended. And it doesn't appear there is enough lift to necessitate a dropped t-case. I'd lose that.

Lastly, you're going to hate where your exhaust pipe exists, if you ever take the top off. Exhaust fumes will boil back into the cab due to the aerodynamics. It should exit at a 45 at the rear drivers corner.

Good luck,

Matt
This is NOT an absolute certainty. Mine exits exactly the same way and does NOT draw exhaust fumes into the Jeep.
Unread 05-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Rich_S

Re: The driveshaft - Previous owner claimed it was custom built by some famous guy in PA, I forget the name, never heard of him. Anyway, here's a better pic. It looks like they just splined it all the way back. I guess I need to take it out to see how much of it is actually going inside.

Re: The exhaust - Absolutely. It's terrible even with the hardtop. Eventually I'll redo it and probably even put a cat on it to get rid of the smell (I'm going to register it as an antique so no inspection required).

Here's an engine shot. I think it's leaking oil from the PCV valve. Shouldn't there only be one? Other should be a breather or draft tube, right? Air has to go into the crankcase so that blowby can be sucked out I'd think.

Unread 05-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

That blue coating on the drive shaft splines usually only covers 2-3" of the spline. If that is the case, it wouldn't take much for the shaft to separate.
Unread 06-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod33 View Post
This is NOT an absolute certainty. Mine exits exactly the same way and does NOT draw exhaust fumes into the Jeep.
Your CJ must defy physics, then. The OP knows what we're talking about.

Rich, you are correct about the PCV system. There should only be one valve in the front hole of the valve cover. The back hole is for the PCV fresh-air intake.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #12
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratefulcaver View Post
Congrats !
I like the picture with the woman in the back sitting on the steps crying because she knows just how much time and money your going to spend on this new rig lol...
I can still remember my wife's reaction, when I took her for a ride in my old jeep, 1984 model, the first day I bought it.

She said, " It's noisy, windy and smelly, you wanted this, WHY?"
jeep.jpg

wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #13
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

rich,

need to reposition that fuel filter when you get time.
it should be mounted in such a way that the out, outside port is at 12:00 o'clock high.

it is to allow over flow fuel to flow back to the tank,

in this current position, it can allow fuel to be syphoned out of the carb, during long periods of non run time, like over night and make for hard starts.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
Rich_S

Thanks for the input guys, it's all going on my list.

Couple of ? on the T18. 1st gear (granny) has the shifter way up almost touching the dash (way higher than 3rd gear), is that normal on the T18? Also, the shifter does not really "center" on it's own so much, I have to guide it directly to the gear (like if shifting from 2-3 I can't just pop it out of 2 let it center itself in neutral and then push it straight up, I need to actually move it over and up) is this normal or is a spring in the shifter missing/broken?
Unread 06-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
Rich_S

Tatton's was the place the PO said he got that rear driveshaft from. I just looked him up and he sells them on eBay for $150, which seems like a steal. I'll probably just measure and order a new one for that price.

When you measure yoke end to yoke end, you measure with the vehicle sitting as is, correct, and you measuere straight line distance (at whetever angle), not the perfect horizontal distance between the two points, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.