Bought a CJ! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 136 Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
TxJeeper20
Registered User
1982 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington
Posts: 853
It seems your a DIYer I hear alot of ppl use raptorliner with great effect


Victory Loves Preparation
1982 CJ-5 350TBI/AX-15
1989 Porsche 928 S4
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 136 Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
aaronhorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: south dakota
Posts: 34
What size are the old wheels? Do you think you want to sell them at all? I'm up in Rapid City, so I'm not to far away from you. Nice looking CJ!
aaronhorn is offline  
post #33 of 136 Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
dmoffat
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJeeper20 View Post
It seems your a DIYer I hear alot of ppl use raptorliner with great effect
I kinda am a DIY kind of guy. I'm a tech at a GMC dealership.. The reason for Line-X is that the dealership has a setup for it and I wouldn't be paying full retail. Thanks for the idea though, I appreciate all input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhorn View Post
What size are the old wheels? Do you think you want to sell them at all? I'm up in Rapid City, so I'm not to far away from you. Nice looking CJ!
Thanks. You have a PM...

1977 CJ7 -- 304, SM465, Dana 20, custom front radius arm, Dana 44/14 bolt with 4.56 gears, 39.5x13.50-17 Iroks,
Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bought-cj-1327849/

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
dmoffat is offline  
post #34 of 136 Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam
 
Ken4444's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoffat View Post
.. I'm a tech at a GMC dealership..
Nice. What's the company policy about mechanics working on their own vehicles in the company shop? I always wondered about that...

Also, what's the policy on owning your own tools? Is that a requirement?

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Ken4444 is online now  
post #35 of 136 Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
dmoffat
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Nice. What's the company policy about mechanics working on their own vehicles in the company shop? I always wondered about that...

Also, what's the policy on owning your own tools? Is that a requirement?
They do let us use the shop on our own stuff, which means I spend a LOT of time there. I own a good collection of tools, Snap-On should love me.. I also have my own laptop for programming and diagnostic stuff, but the shop has a lot of GM specific specialty tools.. like transmission stuff, seal drivers, GM's scan tool, D-max injector pullers, etc.

Some days I may question it, and 7 years (2 at a dealership) does take a bit of a physical toll, but I should feel pretty lucky. I get paid really well to do something that I enjoy as a hobby.

1977 CJ7 -- 304, SM465, Dana 20, custom front radius arm, Dana 44/14 bolt with 4.56 gears, 39.5x13.50-17 Iroks,
Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bought-cj-1327849/

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
dmoffat is offline  
post #36 of 136 Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Attwanl
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Near asheville
Posts: 179
nice jeep.....really like your shop

What happened?
Attwanl is offline  
post #37 of 136 Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
papa355
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: warsaw
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoffat View Post
They do let us use the shop on our own stuff, which means I spend a LOT of time there. I own a good collection of tools, Snap-On should love me.. I also have my own laptop for programming and diagnostic stuff, but the shop has a lot of GM specific specialty tools.. like transmission stuff, seal drivers, GM's scan tool, D-max injector pullers, etc.

Some days I may question it, and 7 years (2 at a dealership) does take a bit of a physical toll, but I should feel pretty lucky. I get paid really well to do something that I enjoy as a hobby.



Don't burn yourself out, like me........we work alot of hours and by the time I get time off, I really have no desire to see another wrench or vehicle.......lmao! That's why my CJ build is taking so damn long, some days I don't want any where near the damn garage, ya know what I am saying?

My wife and I been married for 24 yrs. When we first got married we lived where my dad does now(150 ft from the garage ,where my cj is being built). After work I spent all night in that garage. Sometimes it was for my projects, sometimes I was working on my grandad's farm equipment(all night long). Now I live 30 miles from that garage, so just driving there after work sucks.

You are at the age now when I was going full throttle non stop 24 hrs a day, lol. My mom used to tell me to slow down, you are going to be burnt out by age 30. Well she only missed that prediction by 13 years.......lol.

Anyway, your jeep looks good.

1977 CJ7, 360 AMC with HEI, TH400 quadratrac, dana30, AMC20, SOA, 35" M/T MTZ
papa355 is offline  
post #38 of 136 Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
hutch1200
Recovering Bronco Rider
 
hutch1200's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Clarks Summit
Posts: 3,218
They do let us use the shop on our own stuff, which means I spend a LOT of time there. I own a good collection of tools, Snap-On should love me=DMOFFATT

Before I got into motorcycle work seriously, I used to drink w/the Harley techs after work. I couldn't believe that the "Starter" tool set was 10-12k. For a specific brand V-twin. I mean this is the simplest motorized vehicle on the road...except a golf cart. When I sold cars after college I never realized how much those guys were giving the Snap-On truck every week. I always had a decent assortment of "Tiawan Ted", harbor freight tools, but...wow!
Luckily the Snap-On guy lives around the corner from me, and I've been blowing his long, steep, d-way since I got my Simplicity 4x4 tractor a few years ago. He didn't even know it was me until the 2nd year and people were thanking me @ our "redneck block party". I do everybodies d-way. I try to be considerate, but I'm still running a small bike shop in a sprawling neighborhood, so this is my pennance. For them putting up w/me. And it's either him or me that fixes everbodies mowers, weedeaters etc. You know "that guy" in every hood. He's been great to me as far as getting tools at night, sunday etc. Tool prices are a HUGE cost of doing biz. Too bad the techs don't get even close to the $90/hour shop charges, no?

I've also learned that sometimes... when people don't agree with you .... its best to hold them down and kidney punch them till they agree with you
hutch1200 is offline  
post #39 of 136 Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
dmoffat
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attwanl View Post
nice jeep.....really like your shop
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355 View Post
Don't burn yourself out, like me........we work alot of hours and by the time I get time off, I really have no desire to see another wrench or vehicle.......lmao! That's why my CJ build is taking so damn long, some days I don't want any where near the damn garage, ya know what I am saying?

My wife and I been married for 24 yrs. When we first got married we lived where my dad does now(150 ft from the garage ,where my cj is being built). After work I spent all night in that garage. Sometimes it was for my projects, sometimes I was working on my grandad's farm equipment(all night long). Now I live 30 miles from that garage, so just driving there after work sucks.

You are at the age now when I was going full throttle non stop 24 hrs a day, lol. My mom used to tell me to slow down, you are going to be burnt out by age 30. Well she only missed that prediction by 13 years.......lol.

Anyway, your jeep looks good.
Burn out has been on my mind lately. Four months ago I had been going wide open for some time (60ish hours/week) and I noticed it starting to get to me.. that combined with personal issues (dumb girl) I really started to burn out. I have backed off lately. I'm lucky we aren't open weekends, so I dedicate that time to the Jeep and I avoid late nights unless necessary. I'm 27 and I've been wondering how far past 30 I'll make it.. If it's not mental burn out than just physical, already starting to notice arthritis in my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
Before I got into motorcycle work seriously, I used to drink w/the Harley techs after work. I couldn't believe that the "Starter" tool set was 10-12k. For a specific brand V-twin. I mean this is the simplest motorized vehicle on the road...except a golf cart. When I sold cars after college I never realized how much those guys were giving the Snap-On truck every week. I always had a decent assortment of "Tiawan Ted", harbor freight tools, but...wow! .......
Too bad the techs don't get even close to the $90/hour shop charges, no?
It is wild how much tools cost.. and don't even look at the ridiculousness of a nice box. Mine retails around $10k and it's not that big. The upside to spending big on tools the last 2 years is the big tax refund I get from it being a business expense. I'm comfortable with the money I make. I am straight commission, get paid per hour billed out, not just being there... some days I work my *** off and don't make a dime, but others are more than profitable. I do stay very near 100% efficiency so it works out alright.

1977 CJ7 -- 304, SM465, Dana 20, custom front radius arm, Dana 44/14 bolt with 4.56 gears, 39.5x13.50-17 Iroks,
Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bought-cj-1327849/

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
dmoffat is offline  
post #40 of 136 Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
dmoffat
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 147
Speaking of being lucky... We started work replacing my second hoist, a 20+ year old 9,000 pounder, with a brand new 18,000 pound Bendpak. I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of excited.

forumrunner_20120309_231900.jpg

Also tonight I started work on a rear bumper of sorts. I did just weld to the rear frame, which I know isn't the right way, but with this rusty old CJ, I don't really care. I haven't got the tire carrier done yet or mounted because after I came back from taking a break I found my gas tank leaking. Figured I better quit welding while I was ahead.


forumrunner_20120309_232205.jpg


forumrunner_20120309_232213.jpg

1977 CJ7 -- 304, SM465, Dana 20, custom front radius arm, Dana 44/14 bolt with 4.56 gears, 39.5x13.50-17 Iroks,
Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bought-cj-1327849/

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
dmoffat is offline  
post #41 of 136 Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM
papa355
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: warsaw
Posts: 914
nice shop,bro !

1977 CJ7, 360 AMC with HEI, TH400 quadratrac, dana30, AMC20, SOA, 35" M/T MTZ
papa355 is offline  
post #42 of 136 Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
dmoffat
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355
nice shop,bro !
Thanks. I'm spoiled, most techs don't have 2 hoists and a dead stall all to themselves. Its a pretty good setup and absolutely huge. The building started out as a John Deere dealership. We have 2 dead stalls, one stall with 2 four wheeler hoists (we sell Polaris too), 3 two posts and 2 four posts.

1977 CJ7 -- 304, SM465, Dana 20, custom front radius arm, Dana 44/14 bolt with 4.56 gears, 39.5x13.50-17 Iroks,
Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bought-cj-1327849/

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
dmoffat is offline  
post #43 of 136 Old 03-10-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
dmoffat
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chadron, NE
Posts: 147
Made some more progress today after going for a drive and getting the fuel level down. I guess I live on the edge. I've still got the plate to build to bolt the tire up and a little grinding to do.
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20120310_233733.jpg   ForumRunner_20120310_233741.jpg   ForumRunner_20120310_233749.jpg  

1977 CJ7 -- 304, SM465, Dana 20, custom front radius arm, Dana 44/14 bolt with 4.56 gears, 39.5x13.50-17 Iroks,
Build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bought-cj-1327849/

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
dmoffat is offline  
post #44 of 136 Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 AM
papa355
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: warsaw
Posts: 914
I don't have a shop@ home. But I can use my dad's shop anytime I want to, its a 32x48x10' high ceilings, pole constructed. My grandpa built it in 1977, we always wished it were bigger, but it's heated and decently equipped with all the necessaries.(except a hoist)

I also am the shop boss @ work and head mechanic/equipment manager.....so there is always room for "personal projects" . Hell my boss even finds those "after hours" cash projects for me. He told me the garage is always open for me to use, as long as the company stuff is up and going first of course. Although I have cut way back on doing those "after hours" projects. Like I said when you work 10- 12 hrs alot of time 6 days/week. I need to get the hell out of that garage.

1977 CJ7, 360 AMC with HEI, TH400 quadratrac, dana30, AMC20, SOA, 35" M/T MTZ
papa355 is offline  
post #45 of 136 Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 AM
papa355
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: warsaw
Posts: 914
I like the simple tire carrier. I am going to do something similar. But I am considering making it drop down also. Mainly because I can't hardly lift a 35" tire anymore............lol. I guess if there is help there I'll be fine, but I can't lift one by myself, those days are over.......lol.

1977 CJ7, 360 AMC with HEI, TH400 quadratrac, dana30, AMC20, SOA, 35" M/T MTZ
papa355 is offline  
Reply

Tags
14 bolt , dana 44 swap , radius arm

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
I just bought an 82 CJ 7 Bwanabill Jeep CJ Forum 74 10-23-2011 06:55 AM
Bought a 83 CJ7 sshafer03 Jeep CJ Forum 6 10-19-2010 09:48 AM
Just bought a '83 CJ 7 and need some help sgt jeep Jeep CJ Forum 5 04-07-2007 10:37 AM
Help - Just bought 86 Cj7 qwert98 Jeep CJ Forum 4 04-25-2006 10:22 AM
I just bought a CJ-5 (I think) Tyork_tex Jeep CJ Forum 22 04-21-2006 11:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome