Bought a CJ! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bought a CJ!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #31
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

It seems your a DIYer I hear alot of ppl use raptorliner with great effect

2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #32
aaronhorn

What size are the old wheels? Do you think you want to sell them at all? I'm up in Rapid City, so I'm not to far away from you. Nice looking CJ!
aaronhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #33
dmoffat
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJeeper20 View Post
It seems your a DIYer I hear alot of ppl use raptorliner with great effect
I kinda am a DIY kind of guy. I'm a tech at a GMC dealership.. The reason for Line-X is that the dealership has a setup for it and I wouldn't be paying full retail. Thanks for the idea though, I appreciate all input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhorn View Post
What size are the old wheels? Do you think you want to sell them at all? I'm up in Rapid City, so I'm not to far away from you. Nice looking CJ!
Thanks. You have a PM...

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
dmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoffat View Post
.. I'm a tech at a GMC dealership..
Nice. What's the company policy about mechanics working on their own vehicles in the company shop? I always wondered about that...

Also, what's the policy on owning your own tools? Is that a requirement?
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #35
dmoffat
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Nice. What's the company policy about mechanics working on their own vehicles in the company shop? I always wondered about that...

Also, what's the policy on owning your own tools? Is that a requirement?
They do let us use the shop on our own stuff, which means I spend a LOT of time there. I own a good collection of tools, Snap-On should love me.. I also have my own laptop for programming and diagnostic stuff, but the shop has a lot of GM specific specialty tools.. like transmission stuff, seal drivers, GM's scan tool, D-max injector pullers, etc.

Some days I may question it, and 7 years (2 at a dealership) does take a bit of a physical toll, but I should feel pretty lucky. I get paid really well to do something that I enjoy as a hobby.

98 Wrangler - 2.5L, 5spd, 4" Rough Country lift, Homemade Highline, 35" Buckshot Mudders - SOLD
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

nice jeep.....really like your shop
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoffat View Post
They do let us use the shop on our own stuff, which means I spend a LOT of time there. I own a good collection of tools, Snap-On should love me.. I also have my own laptop for programming and diagnostic stuff, but the shop has a lot of GM specific specialty tools.. like transmission stuff, seal drivers, GM's scan tool, D-max injector pullers, etc.

Some days I may question it, and 7 years (2 at a dealership) does take a bit of a physical toll, but I should feel pretty lucky. I get paid really well to do something that I enjoy as a hobby.

Don't burn yourself out, like me........we work alot of hours and by the time I get time off, I really have no desire to see another wrench or vehicle.......lmao! That's why my CJ build is taking so damn long, some days I don't want any where near the damn garage, ya know what I am saying?

My wife and I been married for 24 yrs. When we first got married we lived where my dad does now(150 ft from the garage ,where my cj is being built). After work I spent all night in that garage. Sometimes it was for my projects, sometimes I was working on my grandad's farm equipment(all night long). Now I live 30 miles from that garage, so just driving there after work sucks.

You are at the age now when I was going full throttle non stop 24 hrs a day, lol. My mom used to tell me to slow down, you are going to be burnt out by age 30. Well she only missed that prediction by 13 years.......lol.

Anyway, your jeep looks good.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

They do let us use the shop on our own stuff, which means I spend a LOT of time there. I own a good collection of tools, Snap-On should love me=DMOFFATT

Before I got into motorcycle work seriously, I used to drink w/the Harley techs after work. I couldn't believe that the "Starter" tool set was 10-12k. For a specific brand V-twin. I mean this is the simplest motorized vehicle on the road...except a golf cart. When I sold cars after college I never realized how much those guys were giving the Snap-On truck every week. I always had a decent assortment of "Tiawan Ted", harbor freight tools, but...wow!
Luckily the Snap-On guy lives around the corner from me, and I've been blowing his long, steep, d-way since I got my Simplicity 4x4 tractor a few years ago. He didn't even know it was me until the 2nd year and people were thanking me @ our "redneck block party". I do everybodies d-way. I try to be considerate, but I'm still running a small bike shop in a sprawling neighborhood, so this is my pennance. For them putting up w/me. And it's either him or me that fixes everbodies mowers, weedeaters etc. You know "that guy" in every hood. He's been great to me as far as getting tools at night, sunday etc. Tool prices are a HUGE cost of doing biz. Too bad the techs don't get even close to the $90/hour shop charges, no?
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #39
dmoffat
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attwanl View Post
nice jeep.....really like your shop
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355 View Post
Don't burn yourself out, like me........we work alot of hours and by the time I get time off, I really have no desire to see another wrench or vehicle.......lmao! That's why my CJ build is taking so damn long, some days I don't want any where near the damn garage, ya know what I am saying?

My wife and I been married for 24 yrs. When we first got married we lived where my dad does now(150 ft from the garage ,where my cj is being built). After work I spent all night in that garage. Sometimes it was for my projects, sometimes I was working on my grandad's farm equipment(all night long). Now I live 30 miles from that garage, so just driving there after work sucks.

You are at the age now when I was going full throttle non stop 24 hrs a day, lol. My mom used to tell me to slow down, you are going to be burnt out by age 30. Well she only missed that prediction by 13 years.......lol.

Anyway, your jeep looks good.
Burn out has been on my mind lately. Four months ago I had been going wide open for some time (60ish hours/week) and I noticed it starting to get to me.. that combined with personal issues (dumb girl) I really started to burn out. I have backed off lately. I'm lucky we aren't open weekends, so I dedicate that time to the Jeep and I avoid late nights unless necessary. I'm 27 and I've been wondering how far past 30 I'll make it.. If it's not mental burn out than just physical, already starting to notice arthritis in my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
Before I got into motorcycle work seriously, I used to drink w/the Harley techs after work. I couldn't believe that the "Starter" tool set was 10-12k. For a specific brand V-twin. I mean this is the simplest motorized vehicle on the road...except a golf cart. When I sold cars after college I never realized how much those guys were giving the Snap-On truck every week. I always had a decent assortment of "Tiawan Ted", harbor freight tools, but...wow! .......
Too bad the techs don't get even close to the $90/hour shop charges, no?
It is wild how much tools cost.. and don't even look at the ridiculousness of a nice box. Mine retails around $10k and it's not that big. The upside to spending big on tools the last 2 years is the big tax refund I get from it being a business expense. I'm comfortable with the money I make. I am straight commission, get paid per hour billed out, not just being there... some days I work my *** off and don't make a dime, but others are more than profitable. I do stay very near 100% efficiency so it works out alright.

Unread 03-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #40
dmoffat
1977 CJ7 

Speaking of being lucky... We started work replacing my second hoist, a 20+ year old 9,000 pounder, with a brand new 18,000 pound Bendpak. I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of excited.

forumrunner_20120309_231900.jpg

Also tonight I started work on a rear bumper of sorts. I did just weld to the rear frame, which I know isn't the right way, but with this rusty old CJ, I don't really care. I haven't got the tire carrier done yet or mounted because after I came back from taking a break I found my gas tank leaking. Figured I better quit welding while I was ahead.

forumrunner_20120309_232205.jpg

forumrunner_20120309_232213.jpg

Unread 03-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #41
papa355
1977 CJ7 

nice shop,bro !

Unread 03-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #42
dmoffat
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355
nice shop,bro !
Thanks. I'm spoiled, most techs don't have 2 hoists and a dead stall all to themselves. Its a pretty good setup and absolutely huge. The building started out as a John Deere dealership. We have 2 dead stalls, one stall with 2 four wheeler hoists (we sell Polaris too), 3 two posts and 2 four posts.

Unread 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #43
dmoffat
1977 CJ7 

Made some more progress today after going for a drive and getting the fuel level down. I guess I live on the edge. I've still got the plate to build to bolt the tire up and a little grinding to do.
forumrunner_20120310_233733.jpg   forumrunner_20120310_233741.jpg   forumrunner_20120310_233749.jpg  

Unread 03-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #44
papa355
1977 CJ7 

I don't have a shop@ home. But I can use my dad's shop anytime I want to, its a 32x48x10' high ceilings, pole constructed. My grandpa built it in 1977, we always wished it were bigger, but it's heated and decently equipped with all the necessaries.(except a hoist)

I also am the shop boss @ work and head mechanic/equipment manager.....so there is always room for "personal projects" . Hell my boss even finds those "after hours" cash projects for me. He told me the garage is always open for me to use, as long as the company stuff is up and going first of course. Although I have cut way back on doing those "after hours" projects. Like I said when you work 10- 12 hrs alot of time 6 days/week. I need to get the hell out of that garage.

Unread 03-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #45
papa355
1977 CJ7 

I like the simple tire carrier. I am going to do something similar. But I am considering making it drop down also. Mainly because I can't hardly lift a 35" tire anymore............lol. I guess if there is help there I'll be fine, but I can't lift one by myself, those days are over.......lol.

Tags
14 bolt , dana 44 swap , radius arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.