Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bought a CJ!

23K views 135 replies 28 participants last post by  MisfitSeven 
#1 ·
-- This does turn out to be my build thread. Dana 44/14 bolt swap starts on page 7..

Haven't had a Jeep for a few years and really been missing it. Found a '77 CJ7 on craigslist somewhat near by and picked it up Saturday night. I am so freakin excited. It's kinda rough, but that's exactly what I want. It has a good running 304 and a Powertrax locker in the front. More pics to come, this is one from last night..

I've got tons of plans for it but I'm still in research mode. Think I want to do an SOA with YJ springs to start with, but I'm not sure how or where to gather all the parts for that. I don't like the 3 speed manual in it now, (too tall of first gear) so I'm debating swapping and converting an extra SM465 I have. It needs a new top, probably just get a Bestop Tiger top. It came with the full doors but they don't fit with the cage the previous owner had built. Not sure what to do there, may start over with the cage.

Comments or advice is welcome. Once I start making progress I'll start a build thread with plenty of pics.

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, you are a CJ guy, so you know the rules!
Service EVERYTHING, from fuel/air filters down to flushing the brake system with some fresh fluid...
Can't trust ANYTHING the PO might (or probably Didn't... DO!)

The only big red flag I see is the 'Power Trax' locker in the front.
When you service the front diff, you might want to check the center pin in that locker.
I've never had any luck with them. Broken half a dozen in the past few years.
There is a hardened pin, but they charge you extra for it...
Typical, don't put the hardened pin in the thing in the FIRST PLACE!... :mad:

Once the hardened pin was in place, I didn't have issues with them...

#5 ·
I'm not that terribly experienced with CJ's.. I had a CJ8 for a bit but I never did much to it. My other project Jeep was a TJ.

I had it in the shop cleaning it up and checking it out today for a bit. It is really rough sheet metal and bondo wise, but the frame appears okay. It's going to take a lot of work I can see that but that's what I wanted, something to keep me busy.

The powertrax just got put in, but I'll be sure to check it out. He sent the original spider gears with me, as well as an aluminum intake and two brake wheel cylinders.

I've just got to sit down and set my plan for a Stage 1 build. I know I need a better crawl ratio.. am I on the right track with the SM465 or is there a better way?

#11 ·
I'm not that terribly experienced with CJ's.. I had a CJ8 for a bit but I never did much to it. My other project Jeep was a TJ.

I had it in the shop cleaning it up and checking it out today for a bit. It is really rough sheet metal and bondo wise, but the frame appears okay. It's going to take a lot of work I can see that but that's what I wanted, something to keep me busy.

The powertrax just got put in, but I'll be sure to check it out. He sent the original spider gears with me, as well as an aluminum intake and two brake wheel cylinders.

I've just got to sit down and set my plan for a Stage 1 build. I know I need a better crawl ratio.. am I on the right track with the SM465 or is there a better way?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my-bbc-cj-project-1019388/

check this jeep out and ask KW, about the trans. I think he still has that same trans in his monster jeep ;)

#7 ·
Just add a couple pics of the simple little things I did today other than cleaning out the inside.. I've got so much to do. Also order the Tigertop for it this afternoon.

Terrible hitch from PO.

Hitch no more.. nothing like torching next to the gas tank.

Chopped off part of the front bumper.

#10 ·
Thanks guys. It's definitely going to be a money pit. I'm beginning to back off the SOA idea for now. I just want to clear the 33's I've got and wheel it for a year or so then try building my own link suspension or do the soa next winter. Contemplation this Black Diamond 3' lift.. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16110_004.htm Figure with tube fenders my 33's should be okay. I like the looks of the Smittybilt XRC's http://www.quadratec.com/products/12508_300X_PG.htm and their rear fender flares to match.

#14 ·
Made some progress today. Installed the new Tigertop and Smittybilt Tube fenders as well as the rear flares. It's starting to come together. Hopefully 3 inches of lift doesn't leave my 33's looking small. I haven't done anything for the side marker light yet, I think I'm going to stick a couple small LED's on the inner fender so it has something. My lift and 4 of my 5 wheels will be here next week but I have to go to Kansas City for training next weekend. Guess I'll see if I get an ambitious after work one day.

hacking up and installing tube fenders..

Took it on a bit of a test run to make sure things are functioning properly. Seems the dog likes it too.

#15 ·
Wheels and lift kit are here. Have a funny feeling I'll be working late to get it done.

Attachments

#17 ·
papa355 said:
lol......... :)

Are those dick cepek tires? hard for me to read the side
Yep the old ones are. They're 29x12.50r15's. I'll bet they're nearly as old as I am.

I did get the lift and everything on. I'm so glad the PO had replaced the spring bushings recently. Everything went almost too easy. I do need to get some wheel spacers though, can't turn very sharp at all.

Attachments

#18 ·
the reason you cant turn sharp is your steering arm is at such a sharp angle due to the lift and not installing a drop or flipping the tie rod. also, if it has never been adjusted, im willing to bet you only get about a 1 and 1/8th turn from straight to right, and close to 2 turns from straight to left? when installing a lift the geometry of everything up front is thrown off.

ETA:

here, red is where you are, green is where you would be with a drop pitman arm

and here, red is where you are, green is with a tie rod flip

#19 ·
I wondered about getting a drop pitman arm. I will see if I have even turning center to lock each side. Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. Will definitly look into flipped steering arm, that sounds like a better idea that the drop pitman. Biggest reason I say I can't turn very sharp is because the tires rub on the springs. I ordered some 1.25" spacers to solve that problem.

#20 ·
I wondered about getting a drop pitman arm. I will look into that and see if I have even turning center to lock each side. Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. Biggest reason I say I can't turn very sharp is because the tires rub on the springs. I ordered some 1.25" spacers to solve that problem.
ohh, DUH! i didnt even think about rubbing. i told you all that because that is what we determined here this past weekend. before we decided on a new tie rod, we adjusted the old one. had to bust out the torch, massive pipe wrench, and a 4 foot metal pipe to break it free to turn it outwards. invest in all of the above and pb blaster. and motrin.

you should be able to adjust your steer stops to prevent rubbing, if you dont want spacers.

#22 ·
Stupid GM training 10 hours away in KC... I wanna work on my Jeep! Atleast when I get back my wheel spacers, rear shoes, drums and hardware kit should be there. Next week shall be busy. I can't wait to try it out with good tires.

#24 ·
Finally ... got the rear brakes rebuilt, wheel spacers installed and a new ignition switch. I think I'm going out on a little drive to see how its working and holding together this afternoon. Of course I couldn't resist taking a poser pic..

Attachments

#28 ·
diddy2003 said:
Nice CJ man! Good job so far on the project.
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback

Modified the driver's seat brackets this morning (I'm 6'2", 250) so it is down and back just a bit. Will do more when I go to suspension seats (soon). Also started work on a spare tire carrier.. I need to learn to take more pics, but I get in a zone when I'm working and forget.

Installing the ignition switch yesterday I noticed the snap ring that holds the spring and what-not down was gone.. how or why? No idea.. so I put it back together how it was and hoped for the best.. seems the upper bearing has come apart now and my steering wheel is a little floppy. Looks like a big PITA to replace. Guess that adds to a long list of projects. I ordered a new battery tray, rear extended brake line, clutch linkage (PO has it held together with baling wire) and a couple wiper blades. This thing is gonna keep me busy for a while.. which is exactly what I needed.

#29 ·
I guess here's one pic of the tire carrier.. or what's left of one I built for a buddy that's been on a couple different Cherokees. Waiting for more square tube to finish it.

Attachments

#30 ·
Ordered a couple d-ring shackle mounts from Ground Pounder Fab (besrk?) this morning. I believe I'll be ordering the entry level Superwinch and a pair of Corbeau suspension seats within the next few days. I'll get my steel for my rear tire carrier Thursday. Then the only major project I feel I need to do for stage 1 is getting the crawl ratio to be more respectable. May have our guy line-x the floor when I do the seats. We'll see.

#33 ·
I kinda am a DIY kind of guy. I'm a tech at a GMC dealership.. The reason for Line-X is that the dealership has a setup for it and I wouldn't be paying full retail. Thanks for the idea though, I appreciate all input.

What size are the old wheels? Do you think you want to sell them at all? I'm up in Rapid City, so I'm not to far away from you. Nice looking CJ!
Thanks. You have a PM...

#39 ·
Thank you!

Don't burn yourself out, like me........we work alot of hours and by the time I get time off, I really have no desire to see another wrench or vehicle.......lmao! That's why my CJ build is taking so damn long, some days I don't want any where near the damn garage, ya know what I am saying?

My wife and I been married for 24 yrs. When we first got married we lived where my dad does now(150 ft from the garage ,where my cj is being built). After work I spent all night in that garage. Sometimes it was for my projects, sometimes I was working on my grandad's farm equipment(all night long). Now I live 30 miles from that garage, so just driving there after work sucks.

You are at the age now when I was going full throttle non stop 24 hrs a day, lol. My mom used to tell me to slow down, you are going to be burnt out by age 30. Well she only missed that prediction by 13 years.......lol.

Anyway, your jeep looks good.
Burn out has been on my mind lately. Four months ago I had been going wide open for some time (60ish hours/week) and I noticed it starting to get to me.. that combined with personal issues (dumb girl) I really started to burn out. I have backed off lately. I'm lucky we aren't open weekends, so I dedicate that time to the Jeep and I avoid late nights unless necessary. I'm 27 and I've been wondering how far past 30 I'll make it.. If it's not mental burn out than just physical, already starting to notice arthritis in my hands.

Before I got into motorcycle work seriously, I used to drink w/the Harley techs after work. I couldn't believe that the "Starter" tool set was 10-12k. For a specific brand V-twin. I mean this is the simplest motorized vehicle on the road...except a golf cart. When I sold cars after college I never realized how much those guys were giving the Snap-On truck every week. I always had a decent assortment of "Tiawan Ted", harbor freight tools, but...wow! .......
Too bad the techs don't get even close to the $90/hour shop charges, no?
It is wild how much tools cost.. and don't even look at the ridiculousness of a nice box. Mine retails around $10k and it's not that big. The upside to spending big on tools the last 2 years is the big tax refund I get from it being a business expense. I'm comfortable with the money I make. I am straight commission, get paid per hour billed out, not just being there... some days I work my *** off and don't make a dime, but others are more than profitable. I do stay very near 100% efficiency so it works out alright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.