Borgeson or Omix Ada steering shaft for 77 cj5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Borgeson or Omix Ada steering shaft for 77 cj5?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Steering Y-Link Adapter!

Unread 02-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
tomcat77
1977 CJ5 

Borgeson or Omix Ada steering shaft for 77 cj5?

Steering shaft is shot on both ends. Think thats whats causing my uncontrollable wandering. Is the omix ada hd shaft w/2 joints ok or should I go ahead and invest in the borgeson steering shaft?

tomcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
tomcat77
1977 CJ5 

Forgot to add its a 77 cj5 with power steering.
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
plowtruck
1978 CJ7 

Not a huge fan of the Omix shaft I just put on. The clamp on the upper end, and the bolt, were not nearly as 'beefy' as the OEM shaft. I can't remember what the torque specs were for this bolt, but I do remember that there was no chance to get anywhere near the spec without tearing the threads off the little bolt they provided. I'm just running stock tires and suspension, so I suppose it will do. But considering that's about the last bolt I would like to see go - I would not recommend this purchase.
plowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Borgesson. No contest

I'd prefer one with a manual bull gear, but I'd consider buying one with an automatic bull gear for the right price.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadamsnv View Post
borgesson. No contest
x2.
walkerhoundvm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
CurtG

1984 CJ7 

I have the borgenson HD one for my cj7 (1984) so far its great. Side by side its a easy pick of the clear winner.
CurtG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I got the Omix or crown standard replacement and stripped the splines on the shaft after about 8 mos. stock cj7 on 31's. They warrantied it out for the HD shaft for just the cost diffrence, It doesn't seem too much more durable... The HD shaft made a huge diffrence in the feel of my steering.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I went with the Borgeson and am happy with it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
tomcat77
1977 CJ5 

Ok looks like borgeson is a heavy favorite around here. I want to get it right the first time. So a totally worn out steering shaft and lower column bearing would give the symptoms of not being able to control the steering right? I do have a 1" (2" longer than stock) shackle lift. But I think the shaft is my main problem.
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat77 View Post
Ok looks like borgeson is a heavy favorite around here. I want to get it right the first time. So a totally worn out steering shaft and lower column bearing would give the symptoms of not being able to control the steering right? I do have a 1" (2" longer than stock) shackle lift. But I think the shaft is my main problem.
Don't be surprised when the new shaft doesn't fix the wandering completely.

If/when that happens, fix your caster.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
tomcat77
1977 CJ5 

I can deal with some wandering but not the way it is. Ive had a 78 bronco on 38's for 20 yrs so I know how they will wander some......but this thing is a death trap. Ive never been afraid to drive something until now.
Unread 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
jranger35
1983 CJ7 

Prior to installing a Borgeson steering shaft on my last CJ7, you could grab the stock shaft in the middle and shake it like crazy due to all of the slop/play that had developed. I tested the Borgeson the same way and there was no play at all. It definitely improved upon the steering in that there wasn't as much play in the steering wheel (I didn't have to make constant adjustments) while driving, but like Matt said, if your steering angles are off and/or your suspension is worn, you will still have control issues.
jranger35 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

By buying Borgeson, there's a much better chance you're buying a product made in the USA:

http://www.borgeson.com/shoptour.html
Unread 02-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
tomcat77
1977 CJ5 

I probably will buy the borgeson. I was just wondering if I could get by with the double jointed omix ada because this jeep will never see more than 300 road miles in a year. Its just a woods toy for me and the kids but I would like to be able to drive it to Lowe's or the store occasionally on nice days. Nothing more than 20 miles roundtrip.
Unread 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

There are many pieces to the steering puzzle that can cause problems, but the borgesson shaft cured 90% of mine. The rest is all castor like Matt said.

Let me put it this way.

If you're having steering problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems and my shaft ain't one

I'd prefer one with a manual bull gear, but I'd consider buying one with an automatic bull gear for the right price.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.