Borg Warner T5 Help!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Borg Warner T5 Help!!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 01-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

T5 from other (non-Jeep) vehicle?

Just a quick hijack

Is it viable to use a T-5 from a non-Jeep vehicle in a CJ? I see T5 transmissions on Craigslist all the time and have always wondered if these are a direct bolt-in to a Jeep that already had a T-5.

My T5 is going south and I have pondered picking up a used one so I can get the Jeep back on the road as quickly as possible.

Unread 01-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #17
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Just a quick hijack

Is it viable to use a T-5 from a non-Jeep vehicle in a CJ? I see T5 transmissions on Craigslist all the time and have always wondered if these are a direct bolt-in to a Jeep that already had a T-5.

My T5 is going south and I have pondered picking up a used one so I can get the Jeep back on the road as quickly as possible.
They are not. Besides input shaft differences (and ratios). the "Chevy' version has the shift tower significantly to the rear, which would require cutting a hole in the floor between the seats in an awkward position. You can use Ford car T-5's if you choose the correct one (this is what a "World Class' or WC T-5 is).

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I agree; many/most that you find (especially the mustang world class) have a very poor first gear ratio, they would be OK on the street but first gears in the 3:1 range (and higher) do not work well off road in a manual transmission; not low enough, IMO, be certain of the first gear ratio (4:1 is near optimum for a dual purpose vehicle) and the availability of a a transfer case adapter before dumping cash for one of these(don't forget to also check the output shaft, diameter, spline count and length, and the input shaft, diameter, length and spline count there are a huge number of T-5 variants out there).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
They are not. Besides input shaft differences (and ratios). the "Chevy' version has the shift tower significantly to the rear, which would require cutting a hole in the floor between the seats in an awkward position. You can use Ford car T-5's if you choose the correct one (this is what a "World Class' or WC T-5 is).
Thanks for the information, and also the info from Happy Joe. It sounds like that a novice should probably stick with a T5 (or other transmission) that came out of a CJ in the first place in order to get the most exact match without having to worry about gear ratios, shaft differences, and other potential problems.

My T5 has started to make more noises and has become increasingly hard to shift, so I know it's in need of service. It was serviced at a transmission shop under the PO (new synchros, a few other parts), but it looks like it needs help again.

My quandry is if I should pull it and try to rebuild it myself, or pull it and have a transmission shop do the work. Just pulling the thing out will be a new experience for me anyhow. My thinking was that if I could find a proper T5 for a low price, then I could take the time to rebuild it and swap it onto the CJ.
Unread 11-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
billyballer

Does anyone know the tooth count of the 5th gearset that would give a .76 overdrive. I believe I have the .86 overdrive in my T5 and I would like to switch to a taller 5th gear for the highway. When I look I see 51 and 53 tooth 5th gear countershafts listed and a 23 and 25 tooth 5th gears listed. They don't say which counter gears go with which gears but it looks as if only the 23 tooth 5th gear is available.
billyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Happy Joe. My T-5 will pop out of reverse and won't downshift into 2 or 4 so I am looking around a bit as well. That really helped narrow the options.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Folks looking for a 5 speed would likely be ahead of the game (especially if they have a 4.0 or 258) by using an AX-15 or an NV-3550 tranny both are considerably newer and easier to find than a good jeep T-5.
The downsides to the AX-15 are the 3.8:1 first and most have the hydraulic throwout bearing (the last couple of years, in Cherokees, converted to a throwout cylinder, I think). The NV-3550 looks to me to be a better option. Both have a 23 spline output and came behind 4.0 engines so they can be found with the compatible bell housing. Both are also close to the same length as a t-5 (within an inch and a quarter, if I recall correctly) A clocking ring can be used to adapt them to a D300 or you can probably just re-drill the transmission flange.
Novak adapters has some good info.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...on_gateway.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv3550.htm

I was recently given a '93 Cherokee with an AX-15 that is probably going to replace my worn out T-5 behind the anemic 4.0 in my CJ-7.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.