Boom's CJ-7 Project - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Boom's CJ-7 Project

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 10-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #46
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Thanks, Ken! I am not sure what I will tackle after the lift. Probably some small stuff. I have poured a lot of time/money into it as of late and want to back off a bit now that it is driveable. Eventually, I will redesign the dash, replace the seats and have the body done/painted. That makes me tired even typing that out! :-)

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #47
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

you'r goig to be waiting a long time for that lift from what we hear from others trying to buy on. None in the country it sounds like.

I think you killed it with the YJ roll bar but that' my opinion.

I think you are going to find a ton of mud in the body so be prepared.

it's a sweet CJ and you all but stole it from the guy. congrats
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #48
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
you'r goig to be waiting a long time for that lift from what we hear from others trying to buy on. None in the country it sounds like.

I think you killed it with the YJ roll bar but that' my opinion.

I think you are going to find a ton of mud in the body so be prepared.

it's a sweet CJ and you all but stole it from the guy. congrats
Thanks, Al. I can appreciate and respect your opinion on the roll bar. I sure love the old CJ style. However, I have kids, so the shoulder belts are important to offer some safety over the lap belts. I also might eventually install a sound bar.

I will wait it out on the 3" Black Diamond, unless I decide to go 2.5" Old Man Emu.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #49
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
It's looking good. Thanks for the great photos. After you get the lift installed, what are your next plans?
I think a stereo is in order for the near future. I like the Sony you chose. I may go with a similar head unit. I don't need CD, just a USB will suffice.

Unread 10-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #50
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

It's looking great. I love the "Family" style roll bar. I bought one for mine as well, now I know what it will look like and I think it looks great. Are you going to add the roll bar extension that mounts to the windshield? I have a YJ windshield so it's already setup for it, but the CJ windshield people just drill the holes and put in nutserts so they can mount it.

Nevermind, after looking at the last couple pics on the other page I see you did add it, I personally love the way it looks.
Unread 10-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #51
conifers4
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looking great
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #52
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

ya I have a son and i've considered it myself. I just can't bring myself to do it. So I bought my wife a rubicon and took the rear seat out of the CJ
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #53
awkrueger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Forget the Black Diamond and go BDS. I believe they have a 2.5" kit and then it jumps up to a 3.5". I just installed the 3.5" on my YJ. Very nice quality stuff. My only issue is the military wraps hitting the crossmember with my current shackles.
awkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #54
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

An interesting couple of weeks... Last weekend I installed a stereo. During the cutting of the dash, I managed to destroy the volt and oil gauge due to excessive vibration. They were old guages anyway, but it was not a smart move on my part. I replaced the guages with new ones from Crown. I was able to get ahold of a Crown reseller on a Sunday afternoon and he actually had them in stock. What are the odds, eh?

After a couple of short drives, I noticed my speedometer & odometer stopped working. This time, I not only bought the cable, but also purchased a Crown replacement clock and the speedometer cluster. Installed them and both the temp and fuel guages were DOA. I was going to exchange the cluster, but the reseller did not have another one in stock. I decided to take apart my old cluster and clean it up. It looked pretty good and all the gauges still work, so I swapped the old one for the new one and returned the faulty Crown cluster.

That same evening, last Thursday, I took the Jeep for a long night ride. I was feeling pretty good and proud of the progress. The engine was running great and I was beginning to trust the vehicle's durability. I briefly stopped at our local UPS store to check my PO Box and left her idling in the parking lot. I came out 2 minutes later and decided to pop the hood to check out the engine. Everything looked good. All of a sudden, coolant spewed out from the cap. I ran around to check the guage and it was at 3/4 the way to HOT. I noticed my electric fans were not spinning. I was only 2 miles from home and it was a cool night, so I put the hood down and started driving. The temp guage went back to normal. I made it home, popped the hood, and started the investigation. The old Flex-a-lite controller bit the dust. I am pretty sure it was due to a bad ground, as I found it loose, but I am not positive.

I was never happy with the old fan controller, so I was not too sad to see it go. I replaced it with the Flex-a-lite 31165 Variable Speed Controller. This controller is much better. Stays on for 30 seconds after the engine stops and does not come on until 6 seconds after the engine starts. Also, it looks to be much more durable than the last controller. The fans move more air than ever before. Very necessary upgrade that I should have looked into long before I was forced to do so.

Here are some pictures of the dash, the old faded red console I repainted black, and the fan controller. I think I am going to take off on another short ride tonight or in the morning!
img_4808.jpg   img_4809.jpg   img_4806.jpg   img_4807.jpg  

Unread 10-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #55
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

A happy ending with the fan controller, and your dash looks great!! REALLY great!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #56
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Still waiting on the Black Diamond lift and I suspect I will be waiting a bit longer.

I finally figured out why my rig was running so warm. My radiator, which is a 4 row that the PO raved about when he sold it to me was about 50 percent clogged. No doubt, it acted as filter for the crap which accumulated while the Jeep sat for 2 years! I had it rodded out and it finally runs COOL. What a joy to drive it now and not worry about it getting too hot!

The engine is starting to feel dialed in. I drove it about 50 miles on the highway this evening and it performed well.

This week, I am going to toss the hooker headers, which the orginal installer butchered, in favor of the stock manifolds. My friend Harold is going to port the 2.5" pipe to to a 3" manifold that feeds into a hi-flow cat and an offroad flowmaster muffler. I am anxious to see the difference this makes in sound and power. I have a nasty exhaust leak on the right side that I cannot wait to leave behind.

While the radiator was in the shop, I cleaned the grill housing and painted the inside to match the fender wells and firewall.

Unread 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #57
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Did you ever get your new exhaust run? Is the offroad flowmaster too loud or does it sound too good for you to care?

Oh, and I have the exact same center console.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #58
chucker440
1988 YJ Wrangler 

nice looking cj, cant wait to see more of this one will be watching
chucker440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #59
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Cool build, i'll be watching this one.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #60
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Did you ever get your new exhaust run? Is the offroad flowmaster too loud or does it sound too good for you to care?

Oh, and I have the exact same center console.
Funny you should ask! I am taking the Jeep to him this morning. I can't wait to see and hear the finished product! I currently have a fierce exhaust leak that makes it sound like I have a lawnmower engine under the hood! I am not going to miss the headers the PO had installed! Should have it back in a couple of days. I will get under it and take some pictures and try to post a video, too. I am hoping it is not too loud and obnoxious, but just a nice tough authoritative rumble! haha!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.