Boom's CJ-7 Project - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Boom's CJ-7 Project

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #31
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Yea the little details make all the difference. What else you got planned for it?

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #32
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Next steps after it is dialed-in and drivable: Black Diamond 3" Lift and at the same time will swap a Dana 44 rear that I bought last year for the AMC 20. New wheels & Tires, Paint, Seats, Tuffy console and stereo.

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #33
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

What size tires you going with? And what color?
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #34
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
What size tires you going with? And what color?
33" 12.50 15 BF Goodrich A/T

Sebring Red

:-)

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #35
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Made some progress with the Lokar throttle cable and throttle valve cable. The throttle valve cable seems like the perfect solution and the installation was a breeze. The bracket that attaches to a stud on the throttle body secures both cables. It is stainless steel and not only looks great, but also is very stout.

I cut the throttle cable to fit, making sure to leave plenty of slack for any future adjustment and to also allow for engine movement. My last 2 obstacles before I can drive it are to remove the exisitng nipple on the throttle body so that I can use the provided cable end. Also, I need to reference the stock throttle cable in order to engineer a proper fit to the gas pedal. All in all, I am very pleased with the quality of the Lokar cables. More to follow when I can actually drive the Jeep and get a feel for how the cables operate and how the transmission shifts, etc.
img_4647.jpg   img_4648.jpg   img_4649.jpg   img_4650.jpg  

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #36
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

It sure is clean in there! Looking good.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #37
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Well, she is officially driveable!! Lokar throttle cable and throttle valve cable work great! Engine has good power and the shift points are in the normal range. I drove it about 100 miles this evening and it never once stalled.

A couple of observations:

1. Runs a little rich. I may need Howell to burn a chip for me.

2. Also, I think it runs a bit hot for my taste. However, it just might be normal. I am not used to it yet.

Overall, I am pleased! It's been a long 8 months!

Unread 09-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #38
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

I have decided to go with a flex type fan and a fan shroud to see if it makes a difference. It's just my hunch that the electric fans are not cooling the 304 properly. Right or wrong, I will post my findings! Will either have electric or mechanical fan gear for sale shortly thereafter! :-)

Unread 09-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #39
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

After a rough couple of weeks, my Jeep is running great!! We had a few issues to work through, but between me, my friend Harold, and Troy at Howell, we got through it.

1. The engine was running very rich. The system would not go into closed loop and the O/2 sensor was hovering around 350mA and not moving. Moved the sensor closer to the engine made no difference, nor did using a heated sensor. Finally, Troy was able to troubleshoot and found out we were not using the brown 0/2 ground wire. My EFI kit was used and lacked the ease of the new kits. Once this solved, the sensor was reading properly (bouncing between 100 and 1000mA and the engine was running like never before!

2. Engine developed a bad oil leak. Initially thought it was the rear main seal, but after mopping up the oil and running the engine, it was evident that the drivers side valve cover was dumping out oil. New gasket properly installed by Harold sealed it up right.

3. Scored a YJ family style roll bar. I took a picture tonight, but it's not very good. I am excited to get this installed with the padding and seat belts. I know it is not a true cage, but the ability to use shoulder belts in the back and the updated look is well worth it to me.

4. No headlights! For some reason, I lost my headlights. Thought it might be a switch and since the switch looked pretty ragged, I replaced it tonight. Glad to have the new switch, but it did nothing to solve my headlight issue. Couldn't figure it out until I hit the high beam foot switch. Apparently, the plug had come loose and this was the cause of the headlight issue. I cleaned the switch and plug, filled it with dilectric grease and put it back together. Problem solved. Bright lights once again! Time to FINALLY take it for a spin.

I drove it tonight for about 50-60 miles. No issues. Temp guage normal. No check engine light. No oil spillage. What a nice night for a drive! :-)
img_4743.jpg  

Unread 09-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #40
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
I have decided to go with a flex type fan and a fan shroud to see if it makes a difference. It's just my hunch that the electric fans are not cooling the 304 properly. Right or wrong, I will post my findings! Will either have electric or mechanical fan gear for sale shortly thereafter! :-)
BTW... I have yet to install this. I am trying to hang on to the electric fan setup. I am not entirely sold, but will give it a little more time.

Unread 09-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #41
1983 CJ7 

Very nice and the engine and bay cleaned up great
Unread 09-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #42
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Productive weekend. I finished the installation of the family bar. Installed the spreader bars, pads, and rear seat belts. Thanks to an awesome thread by Bard. Very happy with the outcome. Nice to have the shoulder belts in the back. Can't wait to see how it looks with the lift and larger wheels/tires!
img_4751.jpg   img_4749.jpg  

Unread 09-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #43
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Looks real good.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #44
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Another productive week. Installed new Warn hubs, new brakes, and packed the front wheel bearings.

Got tired of waiting for Superlift to deliver the Black Diamond lift and decided to mount the new American Racing Bajas & BFG A/Ts. What a difference a set of new wheels & tires make! I can't stop looking at it. However, I need to be very careful driving as there is not much clearance with the 25 year old stock suspension.
img_4758.jpg   img_4757.jpg   img_4756.jpg   img_4755.jpg   img_4754.jpg  

Unread 10-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #45
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

It's looking good. Thanks for the great photos. After you get the lift installed, what are your next plans?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.