Bondo hell now what do I do?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bondo hell now what do I do??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 10-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bondo hell now what do I do??

I took off the diamond plate off the new to me 77 CJ7 and then was sanding down the holes to weld them closed and ran in to tons of bondo. Now I see why the diamond plate was there. My question is is there replacement panels for this area that has Jeep stamped on it or do I have to just rummage through junk yards? I hate bondo with a passion especially since I am trying to restore this thing. What I thought was a steal of a deal is going south quick. Here is pics of what I found:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nolefansjeep/6261676126/

Now keep in mind I don't have the money for a new steel tub either. I am lucky to get a $25 allowance on this baby a week and if I spend more mama ain't happy and if she ain't happy no one is happy.

nolefansjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Its not bad at all. You will need to do some hammer and dolly work quite possibly shrink the metal a bit too. Even if you had a perfect replacement panel you would still need to use body filler. Were body filler gets a bad rap is when some clown uses 50 LBS on a dent. The idea is to get the metal as straight as possible then use the filler as little as possible.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You look to have a good Jeep logo so I'd try to keep that. The bondo may be filling dents and not hiding rust. You need to find this out. Really for the way you want the paint to last you need to take most of the factory paint off. That's the only way you're going to see what you really have. Also to put a good paint job over a sloppy one will net problems in the future. A fairly cheap way to remove the paint is to buy yourself a gallon of aircraft stripper. Be careful though, it really burns your skin!!

Here's a shot of it at work on my hood. I did some sandblasting to get to the hard to get at areas also. It takes several applications of the stripper so take your time
100_0778.jpg  
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I posted a new picture as well I wanted to sand down to the metal to see what I was working with and there is a crack in the panel and about 1/2" of bondo over it. I know I will have to replace that panel I just haven't gotten to the rest yet to see how bad that is.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
jaxfljeep
1980 CJ7 

Nolefan: I bet the bondo isn't upsetting you nearly as much as knowing you bought an Orange and Blue Jeep. Sorry, I had to say it.
jaxfljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Jim will that aircraft stripper remove the bondo as well or do I have to sand that away before I use it?
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
somdfisher
1981 CJ7 

When I bought mine, I started sanding it down and went through about 2" of bondo before getting to where the po burned through the entire passenger side with a welder and I also found a 1/4" steel plate under it. I cut the whole side off and replaced it. I still have a little filler to use to smooth it out but I used bed line spray on the whole thing to hold me over until I get to a garage and redo that area.

Edit: forgot to mention that in the middle of summer, it looked like it snowed at my house there was so much dust.
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfljeep View Post
Nolefan: I bet the bondo isn't upsetting you nearly as much as knowing you bought an Orange and Blue Jeep. Sorry, I had to say it.
trust me as soon as I took off the diamond plate I was like oh $#@% my Florida fan friends are going to have a field day with me on this one. That is why I have to get this thing fixed and painted ASAP lol

I used to live in Jacksonville for 14 years just moved up here to the frigid north 5 years ago. I had a white 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited when I lived down there. Maybe you saw it running around Jax.
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Yes the stripper will loosen the bondo. I had some on one of my fenders and it took it off. Just apply the stripper as directed, it's important to only brush it one way, and let it work but don't let it dry. I used a puddy knife to scrape what what loose off. Apply another coat of stripper and do the same all over. It took me about 45 minutes to strip one fender but I was being careful and trying to be as neat as possible, the stripper is hard on anything it touches, washes off with water though.

The last pictures shows some good metal for you to work with. The hoes you have can be cut out and replaced with patches made from sheet metal. I used 16 gauge but 18 will work too. Do you have any welding experience? Are you planning to take the tub off? From what you say it sounds like you want to do a very good job that'll last. You could weld all of the body with a 120 volt welder if you know how. It would be more handy for you than taking it to a shop, which unless you have a friend that can do it, you'll spend a good bit of money.

Here's an example of fixing rust that I needed to do on my hood. None of that filler is over 1/16" thick. 1/8" is what many think is the max. Also I've done very little of this so that it's not as hard to do as we sometimes make it.
100_0764.jpg   100_0766.jpg   100_0768.jpg   100_0781.jpg   100_0828.jpg  

Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

just fyi .... "if" you do need the panel ... you can get it here .... http://www.classicent.com/jeep.php

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

mine was like that too, common jeep problem. I took some steel diamond and welded it it, it will never rot and if I rub a tree it take the tree with it.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #12
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

have you pulled the d plate off the windshield frame yet,probally won't be pretty either.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
have you pulled the d plate off the windshield frame yet,probally won't be pretty either.
not yet but it is in the plans
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with PROPERLY USED Bondo. There isn't a vehicle out there that has had body work done that doesn't have some on it.

The bad rep comes from people using it to fill big dents and holes. Not what it's for. It's for smoothing properly straightened panels out, and should never be more than 1/4" thick. Even thinner if you can help it. It'll outlast your vehicle and likely you if used correctly.

Sent from my DROID3 using JeepForum
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
weehce

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb
There is absolutely nothing wrong with PROPERLY USED Bondo. There isn't a vehicle out there that has had body work done that doesn't have some on it.

The bad rep comes from people using it to fill big dents and holes. Not what it's for. It's for smoothing properly straightened panels out, and should never be more than 1/4" thick. Even thinner if you can help it. It'll outlast your vehicle and likely you if used correctly.

Sent from my DROID3 using JeepForum
I don' know much about that. What I do know is it doesn't like to be wheeled hard.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.