Bolting springs to shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bolting springs to shackles

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-18-2003, 11:13 AM   #1
bstruckm

Bolting springs to shackles

Ok, my 81 Cj7 project moves on, tonight weather permitting I should be able to bolt the axles back onto the frame

I bought all new grade 8 bolts, and heavy duty shackles.

My question is should I use a flat washer or a lock washer on the nut side, and should I use a flat washer on the bolt head side?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bstruckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

When I put my RE lift on, it required no washers on either side.
Unread 06-18-2003, 11:44 AM   #3
rustyCJ

for the spring main eye bolt you can use a lockwasher because of the sleeve in the bushing and the rigid hanger, the shackle bolts need to stay semi loose to allow flex. i always go buy new nylock nuts(or whatever they are called) cause they still lock even if not torqued down.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.