Boiled Linseed oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Boiled Linseed oil?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
jwhi1979
1979 CJ7 

Boiled Linseed oil?

I have read several post saying that boiled linseed oil can be used to coat the inside of my cj frame. Most of the posters were doing a frame off resto which im probably not going to do. My questions are:

Can I spray the linseed oil into the frame with out doing a frame off and if so are there any special precautions to take?

Where can I find linseed oil?

jwhi1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

Lowes / Home Depot has it. It's used to rust proof metal tables, vices, etc. Curiously, it's also used to treat the threads on spokes prior to bicycle wheel building because it's lubricating until it hardens...
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Linseed oil is the base to linoleum. It's a great sealant. However, I don't know how long it would last, or how well it would stand up to the elements. Even inside your frame it would still get hot and wet sometimes. If you're going to spray it in anyway, why don't you just spray in POR-15? It's made for that purpose, and it will last.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
tigercreek

1984 CJ7 

I use it on bee boxes and outdoor tables.

I have never experienced it as a permanent fix - it requires maintenance.

Just sitting in the elements it wears away.

I can't imagine it holding up in driving conditions.
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I used it inside my frame, but I did do a bare frame restoration. In your case, you should try to get as much loose debris out of your frame as you can. There is typically a lot of stuff accumulated inside jeep frames. If you don't get this crap out, the linseed oil won't actually coat the frame, it'll just lie on top of all the loose stuff.

Also, it doesn't really "spray", at least not with a garden type sprayer. It just "pees" out. Getting this oil to completely coat the inside of the frame, is VERY challenging. You wouldn't believe what I went through.

The point is, no matter what you decide to use, as much of the loose stuff as possible has to be removed.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
DCHCJ7
1986 CJ7 

What you want is something that will put a waxy film on the inside.
2 of the best products for this are below.

Waxoyl - US Distributor - RoversNorth.com. The Source For Corrosion and Rust Protection for your Automobile. Clean. Protect. Preserve.
Heavy Duty Anti Rust Qt 32oz

Waxoyl is very well known in the Land Rover community. the Eastwood antirust i used it on my own Land Rover (to cheap to buy Waxoyl) this worked great.
For the areas that there is no access the you have to drill holes and the kit comes with plugs.
I would look at this and get the gun with it. You can get all areas of the inside of the frame.

POR 15 is great for the outside of the frame, but for the inside the stuff above is what your looking for.
DCHCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakai81 View Post
get hot and wet sometimes
shows where my head is at this morning

On a serious note, I'm a POR15 and metal ready advocate too
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Boiled Linseed oil is some NASTY crap to work with,
But it works VERY well, is cheap, and doesn't take tons of prep to use.

Usually what I do is use pressure washer, and spray out the areas I'm going to coat,
Or use a sand blaster where you can,

Then get a cheap plastic pump sprayer (Something you can throw away instead of cleaning... Cleaning up afterwards is the hard part!)

Spray the linseed oil in where I don't want rust to happen,
Let it dry a week or so,
And give it another coat.
Second coat dries MUCH faster.

This stuff is VERY difficult to get off, so pay attention to where it's getting when you apply!
Two or three coats is usually enough if you let them dry good between applications.

It's a 10 year rust proofer, but god help the guy that has to remove it!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My dad used the stuff to cote his masonry tools so they wouldn't rust. I use them now and he hadn't used them since the late 60's... Still in great shape.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
DCHCJ7
1986 CJ7 

only thing I have used Linseed oil on is the stock of my Enfield No2 Mk IV rifle does a nice job but i would not use it on anything else.
DCHCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
RangerRick
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHCJ7 View Post
only thing I have used Linseed oil on is the stock of my Enfield No2 Mk IV rifle does a nice job but i would not use it on anything else.
Likewise on my WWII Springfield M1 Garand....

RangerRick
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I just used this combo because of the posts on this forum, and I am duly impressed! It made my plastics look fantastic! Thanks everyone
Yoda95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.