body work and welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > body work and welder

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-14-2002, 02:35 PM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

body work and welder

I have made up my mind to keep my tub and I want to redo it correctly. I haven't done a whole lot of body work, so this is going to be somewhat of a learning experience.

I don't own a welder and will have to buy one. What I am looking for is what do I have to get in order to do the body work? I have to replace both floors and the rear inside wheel wheels. Thtat is going to be the first step in my road to redoing the tub.

I would love to know what people have done and how I should go about doign this or is it all just a waste of time and should I buy a fiberglass tub and not waste my time.

Any info would be appreciated. Also, 110 vs 220 power sources would be nice to know as well. for in the garage right now I only have 110 and would have to do something about 220

Also, one last thing, where is the best place to get replacement floor plans and body panels. I have a CJ-5 and all I see out there are rear replacements for CJ-7 for the tail light sections. My 5 is a 76 so I have a tailgate as well and will be needing a new one of those. I have seen RayBuick having some, just wondering if there are any other places that people have used and have liked.

I know I threw out a general idea, just looking to see what is out there.

Thanks,
cb

certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2002, 03:04 PM   #2
55-willys

you need a wire-feed welder. i bought a millermatic 135 that comes with the gauges for a bottle. but you can buy the cambell hausfield that will also come with a regulator for using a bottle. depends on how much you want to spend. each of this run 110 volts and are more than enough to do any type of body work you would ever do. but keep in mind that you need a setup that will use the gas bottle. dont buy just a welder that will use flux-core wire. flux core wire is great for welding in the wind but not for body work. you can buy direct from cambell-hausfield for about $175.00. or go with the millermatic for about $500.00 i started with the cambell but figured i needed more power, so bought the millermatic. the man i sold the cambell hausfield to just loves it. check on ebay for a good deal.
Unread 12-14-2002, 04:49 PM   #3
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

A Millermatic 135 is an excellent choice as 55-Willys says....

Check out my CJ restoration link at the bottom of this post - It may have some info that you'll find useful.
Feel free to e-mail me with specific questions if you like.
Unread 12-14-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

what type of welder did you use to do the work? I am thinking that what you did looks nice and is something that I might want to do. Get some diamond plate and go for it. I just need to do the floors and a little in the rear. Well, that is what I can see right now, we will see when I get into it
Unread 12-14-2002, 10:06 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by cb4158
what type of welder did you use to do the work? I am thinking that what you did looks nice and is something that I might want to do. Get some diamond plate and go for it. I just need to do the floors and a little in the rear. Well, that is what I can see right now, we will see when I get into it
I use a Millermatic 185.

Be sure to Install something in the tailgate opening as it will tend to close up at the top from the welding - probably best to tack a bar in...
Unread 12-15-2002, 07:32 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

There is a campbell hausfeld wg2020 for sale on EBAY for cheap. It allows for the bottle hookup as well. Anyone used this model with body work? I have seen the millermatics as well and I am just wondering who has used the above model and if they were happy with the results. It is like half the price and it appears to have like 50 amps max power less.

Speaking of max power, anyone simpsons fans out there when Homer changed his name to Max Power. Strap in and feel the g's baby!

cb

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.