Body Tub questions/opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Body Tub questions/opinions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
IHPuller450
1983 CJ7 

Body Tub questions/opinions

Ok guys so i have purchased 2 tubs in addition to the one that is currently on my jeep which is steel. one is steel off of a yj and the other is fiberglass off of a cj. now the question im posing to you is which of these would be my best option? the fiber tub is broken and both steel tubs are very rusty...

im going to link to my facebook album of them if you have a facebook you should be able to see them and if someone could make them click free that would be great! thanks guys!

Current tub:
Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Fiberglass tub:
Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Steel Tub:
Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Ben Jones | Facebook

Thanks again!

"Manual transmissions are too distracting, they interfere with eating, napping, texting, drinking, shaving, phone calling, makeup application, reading, bird flipping, DVD watching...................................etc.
You know, all the important stuff that needs to get done while people are behind the wheel."
IHPuller450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Well, I don't socially-engineer, so I can't see your pics. But, just to try to give you some response, at least until the Facebookers chime in, I guess I would think that Fiberglass is easier to fix than rust, and cheaper. Plus, once you're done fixing it, it won't re-rust as steel will. So, I like fiberglass, but that's just me...
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
IHPuller450
1983 CJ7 

yeah, that is my opinion too but the fiber is broke just under the windshield frame mount... its going to be a pain to fix, not that i couldnt just difficult. plus i like to weld alot more haha
"Manual transmissions are too distracting, they interfere with eating, napping, texting, drinking, shaving, phone calling, makeup application, reading, bird flipping, DVD watching...................................etc.
You know, all the important stuff that needs to get done while people are behind the wheel."
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHPuller450 View Post
yeah, that is my opinion too but the fiber is broke just under the windshield frame mount... its going to be a pain to fix, not that i couldnt just difficult. plus i like to weld alot more haha
Sounds like you just answered your own question!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
BeatCJ
1981 CJ5 

Looking at the pics, the fiberglas tub is shot and beyond repair. Of course, so is the red steel tub. If I were you, I would keep looking for a replacement. At least the tub on your Jeep is straight, on those 2 tubs the structure and reinforcements are in weak enough that the tubs are twisted out of shape.
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
Looking at the pics, the fiberglas tub is shot and beyond repair. Of course, so is the red steel tub. If I were you, I would keep looking for a replacement. At least the tub on your Jeep is straight, on those 2 tubs the structure and reinforcements are in weak enough that the tubs are twisted out of shape.
My thoughts exactly. Those two bodies aren't worth much effort. They would both be too time consuming to fix, and if you're not an expert in fiberglass fixing or welding, I don't believe you would be 100% satisfied with the end result. But then again, I'm kinda anal when it comes to building old Jeeps

If your on a budget, try to find a better YJ body and re-locate the body mounts so it will fit your '7. If money is not a big issue, go for a new FG tub. That is what I did, and so far, I'm very pleased with it. (Although money is kinda an issue with me, I got a tax return which helped finance the FG tub and front end )
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Which one is the YJ tub? Because the ones I see all have major rust on them, and YJ's normally don't rust that bad since they where galvanize dipped.

I went with the rust free YJ tub route myself, and am very pleased with the results.
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
84MSRB
1984 CJ7 

Look up or call Daveys Jeeps in Salem, OH. A jeep graveyard.
84MSRB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
IHPuller450
1983 CJ7 

the red steel tub is the one off of the yj, and yes i was also dissapointed with how rusty it was. Daves jeeps in ohio is a great place although they always seem to be lacking in the cj/yj tub area lol.

You dont think that corner is fixable on the fiber tub? i thought that if i put it on the frame and then using the proper dimentions held it in place to fix it it could be done. The only issue with that is that the structure under the windshield would be iffy, but since i am planning a full cage for it i thought i might be able to tie a support in to hold that area stabe. any thoughts on this?

thanks again guys!
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The fiber tub looks to be cracked on seams on the side, nice clean break anyway.

The door post can get a steel backing support that can integrate the bottom door hinge bolts and the top hinge bolts to clamp it solid. It then could be 'glassed from the back. I also cracked mine right below the windshield/door hinge plate and that is what I plan on doing. I am thinking some pieces of carbon fiber might be called for in there too.

When my tub was made, diamond plate was sandwiched in places like where the steering wheel and brakes are to beef it up. I would think you could also use some small steel plates across the cracks and sandwich them in for reinforcement. Then there are carbon fiber sheets that are real strong.

I would sure clean it out to have a good look at it anyway.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
BeatCJ
1981 CJ5 

Sure, the 'glas tub IS repairable, but it depends on what you want out of it. I see the breaks on the rockers under the doors, and the damage to the cowl support, a crack in the cowl, it looks like to me it probably has no subframe/support left. I bet it's just destroyed.
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
IHPuller450
1983 CJ7 

the rest of the fiber tub seems to be in decent shape, aside from those few breaks. the PO of the tub told me that it hadnt been mounted for that long when he rolled it over, and the jeep did have a cage in it so i dont think it affected the understructure of the tub that much but i could be wrong there.

i just want to make some progress on it... its been sittin in the driveway for over a year now and i havent done anything except get it running, i guess being 2 hours away at school dosent help that much either...
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
BeatCJ
1981 CJ5 

So those breaks are from the roll over? Again, to me that's a red flag. Maybe you could repair it, but I think it will be a huge amount of work. I think the best tub of the three you have is the one on it, but I could be wrong. Mike is right though, clean it out, roll it over and look at the underside. Do you know anyone that does fiberglas work? Get their advice. it's really hard to give good advice looking at Internet pics.

I think you should look for a different YJ tub. It will save you time and money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.