Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Body tub fits poorly to hard top

610 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Matt1981CJ7 
#1 ·
When trying to fit hard top to existing cj7 tub I realized the tub' driver side is 1/2" shorter than pass side. Also door will not fit - driver side very tough, while there is 1/2" vertical gap on the pass side. Door length has precise dimensions as well as hard top (measured it). I am wondering if i wanted to make the fitment nicer where would it be best to cut and reweld the body?

#3 ·
Windshield angle is the usual reason for ill-fitting hardtops.

The gaps between the doors and the top can be adjusted via the door hinges, assuming you can get the hinge screws loose. They can be a PITA sometimes.

Matt
And if the hinge was hard to move at one time, you could of bent the hinge. That makes the windshield sit higher on one side..

#4 ·
This sounds like a Repli-Tub that is ill fitting. Had the same problems with my Philippine made body tub where the drivers side was perfect but the passenger side was out of square and a steel door and hardtop could not be fitted. The U-shaped opening where the door was latched would not allow the door to close correctly and the Hardtop would not fit because the tub was out of square.

Is the tub a replacement tub or an original AMC made tub that has been fixed with weld-in pieces?
Measure from corner-to-corner to see if it is square.

Hinges should be exactly 12-3/4 inches apart and inline with each other. Use a 3/8 threaded rod to verify or similar metric size (10mm). The hinges on the tub need to be straight and any adjustment are made on the door hinges.

#5 ·
Both door perfectly line up on the bottom and on the front (including windshield) yet on the rear both sides are bad (nearly no gap at dri side, 1/2" gap on the pass side). Seems to be oe amc tub with no signs of being crashed and welded (side panels quite level). Dri side is also 3/8" shorter than pass. side (hard top protrudes that much on the rear side). Tried everything and could not figure out w/o cutting and welding.

#6 ·
Still could be a Rebli-tub.

Can you post photos of top of wheel house and floor panel by the trans tunnel and even a shot of the "B" pillar where it is welded to the floor panel? These areas are a little different on the Rebli-tubs vs OEM tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.