Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Body too heavy?

936 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Pacfanweb 
#1 ·
:confused:
I bought a home made (could pass for factory at a distance) CJ7 tub. It's made from 3/16" plate steel. The factory tub was disassembled and used as a pattern. It's HEAVY (every bit of 600 pounds)! Now I'm wondering if it's too heavy. It literally takes 6 people to move it. Should I cut my losses, scrap the tub, and use the cash towards a factory or fiberglass tub? I'm not sure the leaf springs will support the extra weight.

#10 ·
I guess me and a buddy should be able to get it off. Maybe I'll even be able to get it off myself.
I wouldn't attempt to do it alone. You might be able to if you've got some sort of 'rigging' and have removed the tires. It's an easy job with three or four people. Not so easy with two. And I'm too old to be doing deadlifts with CJ tubs....

#9 ·
..Should I cut my losses, scrap the tub, and use the cash towards a factory or fiberglass tub?
...Okay. You live in Toledo (or Too-Lee-Do as we call it... JK :cheers2:), OHIO. Home of Willys-Overland Motors (Repli-tubs), and 4WD Hardware (IMO the best 'glass tubs on the market)....

Scrap it, go down the road and talk with Jay at Willys-Overland if you want a steel tub. Or hit the T-Pike for three hours and visit 4WD Hardware and look at their 'glass tubs.

#11 ·
Stock empty CJ7/YJ tub is only what.....250 at most. Myself and one other move them all the time easily.
If keeping it, maybe a 4 inch lift springs so you get 1 to 1.5 lift and soft ride......watch the body sway though.

#12 ·
Keep the floor and graft a stamped body to it.

#13 ·
For my CJ5, I just used an engine hoist to lift the body. Connected a chain at the seat mounts and it almost balanced perfectly. It was too heavy for my wife and I to lift. I just guestimated it was up in the 300-400 lb range but it may have been a little lighter.. I'm just feeble. :D

#14 ·
3/16" steel???

Hell, just use it, and you won't need any body armor. ;)

Any CJ body weighs more than that after all the add-on armor is installed anyway.

And leave your rear seat out....if someone ever starts shooting at you, you can dive in the back and be protected. :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.