Body mount captured nut cage replacements - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Body mount captured nut cage replacements

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
89 JeepYJ
1984 CJ8 

Body mount captured nut cage replacements

I am in the process of replacing rusty floor pans on my cj8 and then I am going to pull the body off so can clean/paint/protect frame and underside of tub. Anyway while I have the driver and passenger side floor pans out I decided to go ahead and loosen the body mount bolts encase I had any problems with the nuts spinning. Sure enough two of the little sheet metal captured nut cages have rusted away to nothing. I want to go ahead and fix this before I weld in the new floors since I currently have good access to them. Question is can I buy those sheet metal cages or will I have to make them? Or is there a better solution than those. I thought about just welding the nuts to the body bracing, but that won't allow any adjustment when I go to line the body back up for tub re install. Any help would be appreciated since progress on this frame off is at a standstill until I get this resolved.

89 JeepYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
89 JeepYJ
1984 CJ8 

Come on I know that some of you guys have run in to this same problem. How did you fix it?
Unread 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Fab up the cages out of 16 ga sheet, drill a 1/2" hole in the center. Then cut a piece of 1/4" that will fit into the retainage cage with about 1/4" of room. Drill and tap the 14" stock for the body bolt thread and weld the new cage back into the rail. Simple stuff.
Unread 10-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
89 JeepYJ
1984 CJ8 

I figured that is what I was going to hear. I was hoping that there was another way I just hadn't thought of yet. If only I had a shear and sheet metal brake at home.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.