Body Mount Blues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Body Mount Blues

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Body Mount Blues

Wrong size? Fix? just received My body bushings from 4WD hdwr for my 77 CJ 7. Catalog says fits 79 to 80 something but the "fitment checker" on the website says they should work. They are rubber bushings from Crown. It would appear that the holes on the 77 frame are smaller than in later years as they fit an 82 frame ok. I could not find rubber bushings for that year specifically . Not that they don't exist. My Question is ...Should I return the bushings, or can someone give me an idea as to how to enlarge the mounting holes. It would appear that I Have 1"n eighth holes and need 1"n quarter. I don't have an 1"n quarter drill bit nor do I wish to buy one to ream out a few holes. How would I use a hole saw to do this as I have noplace for a pilot hole? Or can someone point me to the correct bushings and I will hassle with returning the ones that don't fit. Thanks.

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I am confused. What holes are you talking about? The only holes I am aware of go through the body mounts themselves. The only "fitment" issues I can foresee would be whether or not the bushings that fit into the holes of the mounts themselves would fit into the new ones. The mounts themselves don't go through any holes, they slide into place.

I'm still working on my first cup of coffee. What am I missing here?

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

The Frame body mount brackets have a large hole that I presume that the large "Shouldered" bushing should fit into on the top side between the tub and frame . with the steel sleeve pushed through from the top secured by another rubber "Doughnut" and metal washer bolted from underneath. the large shouldered or stepped bushing will not slid down into the frame bracket hole. for some reason this is causing me a headache , I have looked at the stickies thread on this subject but I am also known to overlook the obvious at times. thanks for the reply.
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

The "sleeve" fits into the body mount before the mount is placed between the chassis and the body. The only thing above the body is a large washer like nut held in place by a "keeper". Sometimes if that has rusted out there's a body washer and a nut you'll have to hold.

This is a bottom view...

This is a side view of the No. 1 mount, behind the front wheel...

Notice there has been a repair on the body due to rust. The contact point where the body rests on the mount completely rusted away, so a plate had to be welded in so that the body would have support and the mount could be bolted in place. (My health is failing and I'm not very happy with the finishing of the plate, but that's another story.) On the body portion, the hole should only be large enough for the bolt to pass through. The whole mount is UNDER the body. There's a large washer between the mount and the bottom of the body attachment.

Does that help or am I still lost?

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

1977 frame holes are smaller than the later years which is probably the rubber bushings you received. 76-79 frames have smaller holes in the frame horns at the front so the later bushings are not going to fit through the holes. I don't know about the rest of the holes after the Toeboard Support but I thought they were all the same size holes as later years.

I currently do not know of a manufacture who makes bushings for your frame out of rubber but poly mounts are available.

What frame holes were you trying to fit the rubber bushings through?

Toeboard Support

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Thanks for chiming in Keith. The frame horn holes at the front are WAY smaller than the rest. Rest of the holes in the remaining frame horns(thanks for the proper terminology, that helps) are also too small by a fraction, eighth or so, enough that it is not going to happen.I went with rubber mounts to absorb as much vibration as possible (for what its worth) but it would appear that Poly bushings are going to be the way to go. Might even be made in USA. Thanks to you both for helping and Hang in there Windknot ,Keep Jeepin.
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Windknot, do you have any other pics of your under tub repairs? I am in the process of pulling my bushings out and I have 3 or 4 where metal fatigue has caused the bushings to go through the underside. I have some
1/8" plate that I was going to use, but I am not exactly sure how I am going to use it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom
jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I don't have any other spots where I had to replace metal, but what I did (and I did it when the body was sitting on the chassis) was cut out as much of the rust as I could and then let gravity do its thing by holding the plate in place as it was welded. I was fortunate in that the retaining nut can be accessed above the "horn" of the body attachment point.

The other problem for me was at the rearmost mounts where the bolt rusted into the nut. I had to open the cross member up for access and remove the "nut" after I cut the bolt head off. I could then remove the rusted together nut and bolt and work with it at the bench. Close the cross member back up to retain its strength.

Unread 06-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

It looks like a wedge was welded under the plate to correct the angle and have a flat surface for the bushing to rest against.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

In my case, it's just 1/8" flat stock. Just the part where the body mount touched the body was rusted. the "horn" is a "U" shaped piece of stamped steel. All I did in essence was restore the bottom of the "U", put a hole where it belonged so the bolt could pass through, placed the body mount and bolted it in place. No keeper nut here, just a body washer and a nut since it's accessible. It certainly could've been done cleaner. I hope to start a "body off" next year where the rust can be taken care of properly.

Unread 06-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

This will be a temporary fix to keep me on the road while I look for anothe tub. I have so many areas where the underside of the tub has collapsed allowing the bushings to go through, it will be a hack job for sure. Hopefully, nobody will be looking under the tub at the mess that I make.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^Rubber side down, shiny side up!^^^

Unread 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

LOL! My shiny side ain't too shiny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.