Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 08-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #91
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
There are two different "thicknesses" of water pumps for AMC V-8's available. By that, I mean that one pump sticks out farther from the block than the other. This will have an effect on where the water pump pulley ends up.

Perhaps Ford has the same option? Just a thought...

Rich
Yeah Rich, I know what you are talking about. I think Chevy has a couple of different length water pumps too. I measured an unmolested 351W in a junk yard the other day and that water pump and mine are about the same length... about 6". I think the water pumps are the same. It appears the balancer is different. I think all 351Ws are 28oz balance... if so, I might be able to swap for a later model balancer. The one I have now is a Fluidampr ($200+ ). Maybe I can sell it on eBay or something. Anyway... I'm just wondering if the V-belt route is the best way to go if I'm gonna have to start changing parts. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one. The pic below is of the junk yard engine. (quite a nice engine... kinda wish I had the whole thing )

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #92
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I'm not sure on the belts on mine yet Bob. I was thinking if I run the serpantine I may make my own pulleys for that out of aluminum but that's a ways off yet. I leaning pretty hard towards the electric fan. I like the idea of being able to turn it off if I need to drive in deep water and they do seem to work very well. Definately going to go with a 3 core radiator. I think there'd be overheating problems otherwise. And as far as clearance goes I don't think there will be any problems even if I went with a mechanical fan. I think I had about 5"-6" inches between the end of the water pump shaft and the radiator. A shroud is a good idea too.
Dang Jim!!! make your own pulleys? You the man! Yeah, I'm definitely going to go with electric fans. Haven't researched radiators much yet, but I'm thinking 3 core will be necessary with my engine. Seems I've read that clearances are tight on some V8 swaps... would like to know now so I can prepare.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #93
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

OK, some progress lately. On the pulley issue, did some research and found out that Fluidampr makes a crank pulley spacer... 5/8"... just what I need. Ordered one and should be here this week. This should solve my pulley alignment problems. In the pic below, I shimmed out the crank pulley with some washers to about 5/8” and all is looking pretty good.

Next, I’ve been thinking about those “hat” washers that fit into the body mounts. Everyone on this site either has them and they’ve rusted out or, like me, the PO did not install any when he replaced the original mounts. At $5.00 each and subject to disappear on me in the future (rust), I’ve decided to make my own. Got a piece of 1” stainless pipe and ripped it so I could compress the tube to about the same size as an original washer. Got some stainless flat washers and had a friend weld it up. This is the proto-type next to an original. Yeah, think I am over engineering this one, but what the heck… right?

And finally, been working on the slave cylinder mount. Cut out some cardboard templates then transferred it to 3/8” plywood. Mounted it up and… dang! I think this might actually work. Now to find someone who can re-create my plywood mounts in steel plate. I’ll let ya’ll know how that turns out.

Unread 08-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #94
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Well done, Bobbo. I think your bushings are "up-town". I used EMT.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #95
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Bob the stainless tub mounting hardware ought to last you a while. I didn't go back and look, so I'll do it the easy way, where did you get the slave cylinder?
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #96
1983 CJ7 

Beautiful GS, and the Jeep and craftsmanship are top notch

Unread 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #97
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for all the kind words Guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Bob the stainless tub mounting hardware ought to last you a while. I didn't go back and look, so I'll do it the easy way, where did you get the slave cylinder?
Jim, my Jeep originally came with the 151 cid "Iron Duke" engine with this slave cylinder. I always knew I wanted to try to make that work without having to cobble up a mechanical linkage. Would have liked to have gone with the hydraulic clutch bearing (not sure of the technical name for it), but those things seem to never get any good reviews. A shame though, it sure would simplify things alot.

Unread 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #98
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Thanks for all the kind words Guys...

Jim, my Jeep originally came with the 151 cid "Iron Duke" engine with this slave cylinder. I always knew I wanted to try to make that work without having to cobble up a mechanical linkage. Would have liked to have gone with the hydraulic clutch bearing (not sure of the technical name for it), but those things seem to never get any good reviews. A shame though, it sure would simplify things alot.
More info Jim... looking at slave cylinders on eBay tonight and the same cylinder can be had for as low as $22 and free shipping (new unit with warranty!). I need a new boot for mine, but at that price, I might just get a new one all together.

Unread 08-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #99
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post

And finally, been working on the slave cylinder mount. Cut out some cardboard templates then transferred it to 3/8” plywood. Mounted it up and… dang! I think this might actually work. Now to find someone who can re-create my plywood mounts in steel plate. I’ll let ya’ll know how that turns out.

If you need some steel plate cut out on a CNC machine, PM me and I'll give you the info on how I need you to send me what you need cut.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #100
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon View Post
If you need some steel plate cut out on a CNC machine, PM me and I'll give you the info on how I need you to send me what you need cut.
Thanks aggiejon... yesterday, got a piece of 3/8" steel and gave it to a friend who says he can cut it out with his plasma cutter. I told him if he can do that, I will drill the holes and clean up the edges. Thanks for the offer!

Unread 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #101
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

There hasn’t been a lot of progress lately that I can show. However, I have completed the clutch slave cylinder mount and I think it turned out great. Strong as h*!!… I think you could pick the engine up with that mount… don’t think I’ll have any trouble with the mount flexing. May have to work with the stroke a little when the time comes.

In more recent news, my body man now has his own shop (for now) and is slowly getting back to working on my tub. I have received new headers and will be test fitting them soon. (Got them from Advance Adapters) Starting to try to work out some power steering hose issues. I’ve ordered new hoses, but it doesn’t look like they will work directly with the Ford P/S pump. I’m probably going wait until I get the tub on to see how the hose routing needs to be before I make that connection permanent. I can’t get over how much stuff is on the drivers’ side of the engine… power steering hoses and pump, fuel pump, steering shaft, brakes, clutch… why can’t something be on the other side!
Once I get the headers mounted, I’m going to trailer the chassis to a muffler shop to see about getting the pipes run. I would like to try to keep true duals through-out… I’ll let everyone know how that works out.

Unread 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #102
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Also forgot to mention that I'm still trying to cure my D300 leak. Figured out the leak (or at least part of the leak) was coming from the front output. Pulled the front yoke and seal... this is the yoke... notice the groves, I think this thing is wore out. (Like so much of the rest of the Jeep! ) I've just ordered a new yoke and seal. Since I'm having to change the yoke anyway, going with a u-bolt type yoke over the strap type.

Unread 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #103
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice work on the bracket Bob. Yoke looks just rough enough to cause trouble.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #104
1983 CJ7 

The Rugged Ridge yokes I ordered did not have the correct dust shield, so you may want to hang on to the original. I had to drill a hole through the dust cover and dimple the yoke and spot weld them in place. Somewhere in my thread I have pictures of what I did.
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #105
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Beautiful work Bob. Gotta go with true duals!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.