Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5

KrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach SaleFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #76
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
A couple of weeks ago we started on a string of bad luck... both heat pumps developed problems... one had to be worked on three times, my water softener went out on me, the deep well pump quit, my alarm system fried and my lawn irrigation system crapped out. We had a bad storm recently and I think we had some lightning damage. All told, I'm into parts and repairs for the house at about $2000 so far... needless to say, the Jeep work has suffered some lately. Never fear though... we shall overcome! These home repairs are eating a lot of my time though.
Been there, done that! My original 3 year plan to restore my CJ-7 came out to be 4 years due to work travel and home related repairs and maintenance. Our house also got struck by lightning in 2001 and took a direct hit to the rain gutters. We had dime size holes in most of the gutters at the rear of the house and anything electronic that had a circuit board or computer chip got fried too. Good thing I was home because a small Invisible Pet Fence transformer plugged into a basement electrical outlet flew onto the floor and caught fire.

Nice build thread you got going here on your CJ-5. I like the details and work you are doing and I feel your pain when it comes to oil leaks that show up for no reason on the drivetrain. Just last weekend I took the D300 out of the CJ for the third time to replace another seal. This time it was the adapter plate seal between the trans and TC.

Great job.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #77
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Been there, done that! My original 3 year plan to restore my CJ-7 came out to be 4 years due to work travel and home related repairs and maintenance. Are house also got struck by lightning in 2001 and took a direct hit to the rain gutters. We had dime size holes in most of the gutters at the rear of the house and anything electronic that had a circuit board or computer chip got fried too. Good thing I was home because a small Invisible Pet Fence transformer plugged into basement electrical outlet flew onto the floor and caught fire.

Nice build thread you got going here on your CJ-5. I like the details and work you are doing and I feel your pain when it comes to oil leaks that show up for no reason on the drivetrain. Just last weekend I took the D300 out of the CJ for the third time to replace another seal. This time it was the adapter plate seal between the trans and TC.

Great job.
Yeah Keith, I know that these house "disasters" happen to others, but sometime it seems like someone is picking on me. But I guess we all feel like that sometimes. Good thing you caught the transformer before something really bad happened!

I haven't mentioned it yet on this thread, but my newly sealed D300 has started leaking :... I've been so disgusted about it I've just ignored it for now! At least it's just the inspection cover leaking and not a seal, but its still aggravating.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #78
Rhoener
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hi,

great work, great attention to detail Keep on, like to see the finished product

Know very well what a mass of work it is

Cheers from Germany

Rhoener
Orange Jeep Club Member #90
Rhoener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #79
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Well, it’s been a while since I updated everyone on my progress. I haven’t really got a lot done since my last post. Still working out some lightning issues… well pump and heat pump still acting up a bit and on Monday, the water heater quit. (It has a computer board that controls the heating elements.) So, with all that work and the usual yard/house work that goes along with summer, there hasn’t been a whole lot of Jeep working time left over. But here’s where I am now…

Got the brake lines in. Went with Inline tube for some ss pre-bent lines. Good quality stuff… am pleased with them overall. One problem I had was that my Jeep is listed as a 1980 but the chassis was built in late 1979. I found out the hard way that Jeep changed rear brake line routing from 1979 to 1980. I ended up having to ship back the rear brake line to Inline Tube and they sent me the correct line. Not a big deal, just a PITA. Also, for anyone attempting a brake line change out on their Jeep, I can recommend Inline Tube, but don’t expect the new lines just to lay right into place… it will take some amount of bending and fitting to make it right. Also notice that I changed out the flex brake lines to some braided ss lines to accommodate the spring lift. The new lines are from Russell and seem to be a good product.

Oh, BTW this has also been taking up some time… his name is Smokey. He is about 55-60 lbs and only 5 ½ weeks old! Keeping him exercised and cared for also eats up Jeep time.

Now that the brakes are done (except master cylinder and booster work), I plan on moving on to the fuel system. I have decided I want to locate the fuel line on the passenger side of the frame to move it away from the exhaust system as much as possible. With that in mind, I had been wondering how to get the fuel line from the right side of the frame to the left side of the engine where the fuel pump is located. Then it hit me… I wanted to get the bar that ties the frame together at the engine mounts and decided to have a bar made out of some angle iron and fasten the fuel line to the bar to cross under the engine. Haven’t bent the fuel line yet, but the bar is in and I think it will work pretty well.

I replaced the original fuel tank with this 15 gallon poly tank years ago. Cleaned up real nice.

Think I’m just gonna scrap the sending unit and get a new one.

After the fuel lines are in, we’ll start to tackle the custom install of a hydraulic slave cylinder… not sure how that’s gonna turn out… be glad to get that job behind me!

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #80
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Pretty dog!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #81
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

great work going on in here, I also second the dog comment!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #82
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
great work going on in here, I also second the dog comment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Pretty dog!
Thanks... this is the fifth GSD my wife and I have had. We got our first one before we got married (over 25 years ago!). We kept her (the dog, not my wife) in an appartment... what a mistake! When we lost our GSD number four last year, we thought we would try doing without a dog for a while... it didn't last long. We really enjoy our GSDs!

Unread 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #83
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Finally got my fuel line installed. Used 3/8” ss line… very tough to bend and route. When I got started, I was thinking “this is a mistake”. But I forged on… now I have a one-piece line from the tank to the fuel pump. Notice I routed the line on the right side of the frame. I plan to run the exhaust on the left side, so I put the fuel line on the opposite side to reduce vapor lock problems. This left me with the problem of crossing to the other side of the engine to get to the fuel pump. As mentioned earlier, using the cross bar at the motor mounts worked out pretty good.

BTW, had a friend loan me some tools to work the fuel line with... in case you are planning the same thing... these will not work.

Had to pop about $56 for these to work the line... Also, forget about flaring the line without some serious tools. I think I will just double up on clamps.
ridgid-tube-bender.jpg  

Unread 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #84
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice work Bob. Dog looks alert and ready for action too. I've had dogs since I was a kid and have not lived a day without at least one since.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #85
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Just finished fixing the "strap on the poly gas tank will not fit" problem. Ended up simply cutting the strap and lap welding it back together removing about 1.5" from the strap. Worked out great...

Unread 08-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #86
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Now for the next problem. (There seems to be a lot of those!) Up until this point, I have been planning on running V-belts on my 351W. The engine originally came out of a 1974 Ford Galaxie 500. I sourced all the pulleys out of a 1987 F250 with a 351W. Never thought it would be a problem, however when I put on the crank pulley and the water pump pulley… they don’t line up! The harmonic balancer was sourced for a 1974 Galaxie and I think it is the wrong one when trying to use all the pulleys from the F250. Looks like I need another balancer (hopefully that is all) to fix my problem. One question I have now though... can anyone give me any insight to the differences between a V-belt setup and a serpentine belt setup from a “distance to the radiator” perspective? I am wondering now if I should try to go the serpentine route… I originally thought the V-belt route would be easier… any thoughts out there?

Unread 08-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #87
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

There are two different "thicknesses" of water pumps for AMC V-8's available. By that, I mean that one pump sticks out farther from the block than the other. This will have an effect on where the water pump pulley ends up.

Perhaps Ford has the same option? Just a thought...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #88
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Bob everything is looking great! Ford used different harmonic balancers back in the earlier years than they do now. I'm not sure but I have a feeling the later model balancer will be thicker than the one you have. The first thought might be to run the later balancer but that won't work on your older engine. It's much like the newer Ford flywheels are 52 ounce and the older are 27 ounce, might be a little off on those numbers. Reason this all happened has to do with the weight difference in the rotating assembly on them. They needed more weight in the later years to balance the internals. There's more to it than this but it's allot of reading. Anyway if it were me I'd make an adapater to move the pulleys out and be done with it. Another option is to try to find pulleys that work with each other.

Nothing wrong with the v-belt design either. Sometimes it's even better since you usually have more than one and you don't loose everything like when the serpentine breaks.
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #89
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Jim, You running V-belts or serpentine on your 302? Are you running a mechanical fan or electric? 2 or 3 core radiator? Any clearance problems?

...(edit) Sorry Jim... its been awhile since I looked at your build thread... you may not be that far along yet... my bad.

Unread 08-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #90
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Jim, You running V-belts or serpentine on your 302? Are you running a mechanical fan or electric? 2 or 3 core radiator? Any clearance problems?
I'm not sure on the belts on mine yet Bob. I was thinking if I run the serpantine I may make my own pulleys for that out of aluminum but that's a ways off yet. I leaning pretty hard towards the electric fan. I like the idea of being able to turn it off if I need to drive in deep water and they do seem to work very well. Definately going to go with a 3 core radiator. I think there'd be overheating problems otherwise. And as far as clearance goes I don't think there will be any problems even if I went with a mechanical fan. I think I had about 5"-6" inches between the end of the water pump shaft and the radiator. A shroud is a good idea too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.