Well, I’m still working on the Jeep… just not getting much done on it lately but this will get everyone caught up.
Because of the 2.5” OME springs, I had the sway bar links lengthened.
As shown before, I stripped the rear axle to weld on new perches and add a set of Moser axles to my AMC20. I bought a Sears sandblasting kit (about $25) to work on some small parts during the build. It works OK, but my compressor is not near big enough. But I’m going to continue on with it as it will get the job done if you are patient enough. The pic below is a before and after blasting pic of my rear backing plates. I cleaned all the old brake parts and will reuse what I can and replace what I need.
I spent a considerable amount of time getting the bearing spacers the correct width. Took them to several machine shops until I found one that had the right machine to cut them down. I finally got the right amount of ‘stick out’ on the bearings and proceeded with the install.
I was concerned about the thrust block in the diff as I had read that some had to remove theirs to make the new axles work. I did call Moser about this and they said to retain the thrust block and cut the axles if I needed to. Luckily for me, I test fit the axles and was still able to move the thrust block maybe 3/16” so it looks like that will be a non-issue.
Axle and brakes installed.
I also went ahead and bit the bullet on the new drive shafts from Tattons. Beefy stuff… no complaints.
I was worried about the front drive shaft clearance since I had to move the transfer case back a few inches plus the OME lift springs. But I installed the shaft, lifted the front end letting the front suspension droop and it would appear I have plenty of clearance. Also shown in this photo is the newly installed Powermaster starter.
And finally, the rear shaft in place. I wanted to convert the rear yoke to accept u-bolts, but that was becoming problematic so I used straps. I did however get longer bolts for the straps allowing the bolts to extend past the yoke threads and installed a lock nut on the back side of them… of course I also used Locktite. As a friend told me, if you have trouble with the straps, you can always go back and modify the yoke if necessary.