Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #61
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
HEY BOB!!!

Where are you? Time to get up!
Hey Scott, sorry for the long delay on posting Jeep work. Life has been getting in the way lately. I’m trying to get back on the project… this should get everyone caught up.

After much consideration, I decided to cut the spring perches on my AMC20 to rotate the axle toward the t/c. I agree with most of you that it is the best way to handle severe d/s angles with a new engine/tranny/t/c combination and a 2.5” lift in a CJ-5. Some of you may disagree with me in doing this much work on an AMC20, but it is the route I’ve chosen. See pics below for a summary of what I did.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #62
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

The first thing I did was remove the axle from the chassis and prepared to remove the axle shafts. After visiting several auto part stores and borrowing tools that did not work, I finally broke down and bought this puller off of eBay. And let me tell you, if it was not for this puller, those axle shafts would not have come out!

Finally got the axle shafts out.

These will be going back in.

Spent some quality time with a 4½” grinder.

More time with the grinder.

What’s not shown here is assembling and welding the new spring perches, setting them on the springs and setting the axle back in the chassis. From there, we positioned the axle at the proper angle and tacked the new perches in place. We then removed the axle again and did a final weld on the perches.

Cleaned everything up and hit it with a little paint.

In this shot, you can see we have the axle back in place and bolted down. I have also temporarily installed the original d/s to get some measurements from. I did a lot of calculations in getting the axle in the position it is now. I don’t know if it will be perfect, but at least it is such that small degree shims can be used to fine tune the angle if needed in the future.

I think it all turned out pretty good.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #63
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Great fix on the axle Bob. That's going to work better than the shims in the long run.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #64
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

And hey, I'd like to give a shout out to BESRK for the spring perches... they worked great... just what I needed.

Unread 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #65
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hey Bob... it's good to see you back at it. I was worrying about you!! Your axle work looks great, and I really don't think you're going to be disappointed with an AMC20 and one-piece axles. Life sure can be inconvenient at times, but it sure is awesome everytime you overcome a challenge.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #66
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Well, I’m still working on the Jeep… just not getting much done on it lately but this will get everyone caught up.

Because of the 2.5” OME springs, I had the sway bar links lengthened.

As shown before, I stripped the rear axle to weld on new perches and add a set of Moser axles to my AMC20. I bought a Sears sandblasting kit (about $25) to work on some small parts during the build. It works OK, but my compressor is not near big enough. But I’m going to continue on with it as it will get the job done if you are patient enough. The pic below is a before and after blasting pic of my rear backing plates. I cleaned all the old brake parts and will reuse what I can and replace what I need.

I spent a considerable amount of time getting the bearing spacers the correct width. Took them to several machine shops until I found one that had the right machine to cut them down. I finally got the right amount of ‘stick out’ on the bearings and proceeded with the install.

I was concerned about the thrust block in the diff as I had read that some had to remove theirs to make the new axles work. I did call Moser about this and they said to retain the thrust block and cut the axles if I needed to. Luckily for me, I test fit the axles and was still able to move the thrust block maybe 3/16” so it looks like that will be a non-issue.

Axle and brakes installed.

I also went ahead and bit the bullet on the new drive shafts from Tattons. Beefy stuff… no complaints.

I was worried about the front drive shaft clearance since I had to move the transfer case back a few inches plus the OME lift springs. But I installed the shaft, lifted the front end letting the front suspension droop and it would appear I have plenty of clearance. Also shown in this photo is the newly installed Powermaster starter.

And finally, the rear shaft in place. I wanted to convert the rear yoke to accept u-bolts, but that was becoming problematic so I used straps. I did however get longer bolts for the straps allowing the bolts to extend past the yoke threads and installed a lock nut on the back side of them… of course I also used Locktite. As a friend told me, if you have trouble with the straps, you can always go back and modify the yoke if necessary.

Unread 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #67
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

You're doing a real nice nice job. I bought those same driveshafts, but haven't installed them yet.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #68
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Well, as I mentioned before, I had someone else blow the Jeep apart for me. I not sorry I let him do it, just wish I had insisted on him taking pictures as he was doing it. I went to his house Friday and picked up a box full of parts to see what I had, what I needed and what kinda shape everything was in. I’m looking through the box scratching my head wondering ‘what the heck does this go to?’ Guess it’s just to figure it out now. A lesson to all… take lots of pictures as you tear things apart! It may not be quite as bad as I imagine though… looking through the box of parts, I realize that I will have to replace a lot of it anyway… looks like most of the dash switches and all the dash mounted lighted indicators will have to be replaced as well as all the dash knobs . Oh well, new parts are easier to work with… just expensive.

BTW, one part I cannot put my hands on is the emergency brake cable that goes from the petal to the equalizer bar… anyone have any good pictures of theirs? I’ve got an extra cable in the box but I not sure it is the right one. The guy may have mixed up some parts on me.

Unread 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #69
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hey Bob. Your stuff is looking REAL good. Excellent work on the axle install. I have used one of those Craftsman sand blasters, and they work pretty good. I had the same issues with air until I upgraded my compressor. Then I went and bought the HF sand blaster, and in truth, the Craftsman was a LOT less aggravating! The garvity feed blasters have their place. The backing plates came out nice... I wish now that I had done the same. I would recommend some self-etch prmer now that you have them at bare metal, if you haven't already done something different. Keep going Buddy!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #70
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the compliments Scott and Rich... as far as the paint on the backing plates, when I got done with the sand blaster, I just cleaned them real good, degreased them and hit 'em with some caliper paint. It's better than what they were.

Unread 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #71
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey what's up here in this thread? Any new work?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #72
musicpuppy
2002 WJ 

Fantastic work my friend,can't wait to see the finished product. And then your gonna do the old Buick, Right???? hahaha
musicpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #73
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey what's up here in this thread? Any new work?
Hey Jim... been collecting parts and have started on getting the new ss brake lines put on but no pics yet. A couple of weeks ago we started on a string of bad luck... both heat pumps developed problems... one had to be worked on three times, my water softener went out on me, the deep well pump quit, my alarm system fried and my lawn irrigation system crapped out. We had a bad storm recently and I think we had some lightning damage. All told, I'm into parts and repairs for the house at about $2000 so far... needless to say, the Jeep work has suffered some lately. Never fear though... we shall overcome! These home repairs are eating a lot of my time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpuppy View Post
Fantastic work my friend,can't wait to see the finished product. And then your gonna do the old Buick, Right???? hahaha
Thanks for the complement musicpuppy, I can't wait to see the finished product too... seem like a long way off. Old Buick? I don’t get it... you may have to explain that one to me.

Unread 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #74
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
Hey Jim... been collecting parts and have started on getting the new ss brake lines put on but no pics yet. A couple of weeks ago we started on a string of bad luck... both heat pumps developed problems... one had to be worked on three times, my water softener went out on me, the deep well pump quit, my alarm system fried and my lawn irrigation system crapped out. We had a bad storm recently and I think we had some lightning damage. All told, I'm into parts and repairs for the house at about $2000 so far... needless to say, the Jeep work has suffered some lately. Never fear though... we shall overcome! These home repairs are eating a lot of my time though.
Hey Bob, We had a similar occurence at our household a short time ago. Both A/Cs, well, and drainfield! I feel for ya Buddy. I'll make you a deal on a Kinetico softener system... complete. It's been sitting in my shop for about 6 years now.

Unread 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #75
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Hey Bob, We had a similar occurence at our household a short time ago. Both A/Cs, well, and drainfield! I feel for ya Buddy. I'll make you a deal on a Kinetico softener system... complete. It's been sitting in my shop for about 6 years now.
Yeah, starting to think I ain't living right or something... maybe I need to go to church. My most hated job in the world is plumbing... seems you can do everything right and still end up with a leak! Got a guy at a local plumbing distributor house that's gonna cut me a good deal on a new softener and then stand behind it... if anything goes wrong with it, he's personally gonna come to the house and fix it ... did I mention how much I hate plumbing!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.