Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5 - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bob’s “What the heck was I thinking” build… ’80 CJ-5

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #211
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Shaweeet! Good job, Bob. Good info for many CJers to come.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #212
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Did any of you with a new WS frame have this problem? I know it's not much to shim out, but crap... can't anything go right?

And while I'm ranting, this afternoon, I set the roll bar in the Jeep to see how things fit and I was not surprised to find it did not fit. Somewhere in this thread I'm sure I told ya'll I put in a new floor and center valance (behind the seats). Well, looks like the new floor went in a little different than the old one and the holes do not line up for the roll bar mount behind the seats. Not that it can't be fixed, but crap!!!... will anything that I purchase/repair just bolt right up the first time??? Seems that every 15 minute job ends up taking me all day... I guess all ya'll go through the same thing... thanks for listening.

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #213
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Every Jeep project / upgrade I do ends up the same as what you're experiencing. The "simplest" jobs end up taking forever.

Thankfully, these setbacks are really fun for us, otherwise we could get a little frustrated.... .

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #214
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Bob I think I have an idea why things like your windshield tab doesn't fit right. If that's not stamped with the AMC tooling then someone made the tooling to do so. It takes allot of time and effort just to design that tooling and I have a feeling they get as close as they can and go with it. They are likely aware of the fitment issues but due to the cost of changing the tooling, or making it over, they leave it as is. They get away with that because they know they have little or no competition in making and selling the parts.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #215
Ronzi
1983 CJ8 

Very nice work on your Jeep so far and I have enjoyed reading your build thread. I know what you are saying about everything being a pain but in my experience once its all done I realized a lot of that extra work made it all more worth it. I had more fun putting mine together than using it I think lol.
As far as your windshield hold down bracket, mine did the same thing and I had to shim it but I thought it was because I used a fiberglass frame. Also I wanted to mention for some small odd ball parts I needed (examples : some of the tilt steering components like the tilt lever and the horn stuff and even things like the little rubber bumpers that cushion the glove box door closing) I actually was able to get at the Chrysler Dealer.
Enjoy finishing up your great build and I will keep checking out your updates
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #216
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Had the same issue with Clay's WS frame. It came from an '85 CJ7, and we had to do a fair amount of welding on it. But we had the identical issue once it was mounted. I lay it to the aftermarket glass tub?? I tightened down the bolts.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #217
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Had the same issue with Clay's WS frame. It came from an '85 CJ7, and we had to do a fair amount of welding on it. But we had the identical issue once it was mounted. I lay it to the aftermarket glass tub?? I tightened down the bolts.
Yeah Scott, I hadn't tightened down the bolts yet so I could see how much shim I was gonna need. It will need 3/16 to 1/4 inch of shim... now, do I use washers or do I make this way more complicated that it needs to be and build a single shim out of some bar stock or aluminum...

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #218
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I didn't use shims! It came together just fine. I can't tell you why, though.

Two primary and significant events happened during our build, besides turning our heep into a piece of art! The first is just how long it took to complete the build. Having acquired the CJ through sheer desire, I postponed the pleasure of use for 3 and a half years rebuilding it. That was frustrating. Secondly, despite the best efforts at making a quality rebuild, it started leaking fluids the first couple of weeks. Paint was chipped as a result of use. The hood blew up into the WS frame... twice! Are you building a show piece or something to enjoy? Answer THAT question and you will know exactly what to do. NOBODY cares about the little stuff. Only the accomplishment.

Unread 06-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #219
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Yeah Scott, I’m having a hard time not being a perfectionist on this build… When I’m through with it (or at least got a driver) it will probably be too nice to beat on, but that’s OK. I’ll still use it, but not very hard. Like you said, I’m just trying to make the best quality build that I can.

Unread 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #220
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I didn't use shims! It came together just fine. I can't tell you why, though.

Two primary and significant events happened during our build, besides turning our heep into a piece of art! The first is just how long it took to complete the build. Having acquired the CJ through sheer desire, I postponed the pleasure of use for 3 and a half years rebuilding it. That was frustrating. Secondly, despite the best efforts at making a quality rebuild, it started leaking fluids the first couple of weeks. Paint was chipped as a result of use. The hood blew up into the WS frame... twice! Are you building a show piece or something to enjoy? Answer THAT question and you will know exactly what to do. NOBODY cares about the little stuff. Only the accomplishment.
I have to disagree Scott. It's attention to detail that separates a dependable rig and what that lacks in that area. Anytime I've ever took a shortcut it comes back to bite me. Might be as small as that bolt that works lose at the worst time, like on the trail, or the countless other problems that can happen. If you look at the problems most guys admit they later have on their rigs it's because they hurried through the job and they knew it might be a problem before it ever was. As the old saying goes "haste makes waste". So saying nobody cares is a reach, I for one like the little stuff I see people do. Just like the way you laid those boards in the floorboard of Clay's tub and making sure the glass and resin would flow around them. That's the way things are done that last and that's why the attention to detail does matter. Sure you could have done it quicker but I bet you haven't thought for one minute the job will fail. Now had you not done what you knew was best you'd always have doubts.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #221
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Funny you should chime in Jim... keeping up with some of your threads, you were the first guy that I thought of when Scott said that "NOBODY cares about the little stuff". I somehow figured you might disagree. I enjoy the attention to detail stuff. I've got a buddy that helps me out with my Jeep once in a while and we can go on for hours about the smallest things. When I'm done with this Jeep, I want it to be tough and dependable above all... nice looking secondary... not to say that I wont strive to have it all!

Unread 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #222
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Let me clarify... I'm not saying to take short-cuts, because I don't believe in them. Clay's 5 should be evidence of that, and I am proud of it. Using it as an example, we get all kinds of head-turns going down the road. I know it is built as well as I can make it. I took pains to make sure this was structural and that looked nice. Besides the overall look, I needed the function. What I mean by nobody cares is that outside of our Jeep clique, here on the forum where we have advice, ideas, and constructive criticism, the people that will see your Jeep, everyday, will not see the detail you put into it. They won't care if you use shims, spacers, washers, etc. All they will see is a nice rig. I have Jim's shackle hangers on the 5. We all know that, but the folks around here don't, and they don't care. Not saying to do shabby work... my apologies to anyone who thought that.

Unread 06-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #223
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Let me clarify... I'm not saying to take short-cuts, because I don't believe in them. Clay's 5 should be evidence of that, and I am proud of it. Using it as an example, we get all kinds of head-turns going down the road. I know it is built as well as I can make it. I took pains to make sure this was structural and that looked nice. Besides the overall look, I needed the function. What I mean by nobody cares is that outside of our Jeep clique, here on the forum where we have advice, ideas, and constructive criticism, the people that will see your Jeep, everyday, will not see the detail you put into it. They won't care if you use shims, spacers, washers, etc. All they will see is a nice rig. I have Jim's shackle hangers on the 5. We all know that, but the folks around here don't, and they don't care. Not saying to do shabby work... my apologies to anyone who thought that.
I know what you're saying Scott. In thinking about it, the best way I can put it is that I'm building the Jeep I want even if nobody sees the details. I have painted parts and used ss bolts where no one will ever see it, but I know it's there... it gives me piece of mind I guess. I think that is part of the reason I like to hang out on JF... there are a lot of guys like you and Jim that "get it".

Unread 10-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #224
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Dang... last post was in June!?! Life's been busy... lots of stuff going on and not much time for Jeep work lately.

However, I am trying to get back to it. Been working a little on the cage the last couple of weeks. Borrowed a friends tubing cutter to help with the roll bar add-on kit I got from Extreme Custom Fab. Its going pretty well so far. This week I plan to have a friend make some plates that will go on the bottom of the tub to back up the front roll cage floor plates. I'm undecided about tying the cage to the frame at this point. I know it would be the best thing to do, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do it. Until then, I don't want to let that further slow down the build. Also, I plan to add some bungs to the original roll bar so I can attach some shoulder belts to later.

Here's a couple of pics for ya...

Any suggestions on the cage build would be welcome.

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #225
S76
1984 CJ7 

Just got caught up on your thread commadore. What nice work and attention to detail. Thanks for sharing the windshield frame fix. I'll be there in a while.

If I may offer one suggestion to make your project move along faster.........

Quit your day job! I'm considering it to finish mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.