On Board Air You Didn't Know You Had - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > On Board Air You Didn't Know You Had

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Oily
1985 CJ7 

On Board Air You Didn't Know You Had

While doing a compression test, I got to looking at my compression tester hose. One end screws into the engine, the other end has a male quick disconnect. Sure enough, a female standard air hose connector fits on perfectly.
There are three types of connectors but it would be easy to rig up a 20 foot hose. I am sure you could get a hose professionally made with crimp on connectors. One end with a screw in the spark plug hole fitting and the other a 1/4" NPT threaded end for a female quick disconnect.
Remove the spark plug, hook up the hose, start your rig and run it on five or seven cylinders, and fill up you tire, raft, blow up doll, ......

Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
479AZ
1978 CJ7 

Sure if you don't mind a little gasoline vapor in your tires.....
479AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
BrockGrimes

Explosive tires are cool!
Now that's what I'd call a blowout!
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
melius
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So have you actually tried this??
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

I like the blow up doll best
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Thorwon
2007 JK Wrangler 

JC Whitney sold an emergency tire inflation tool in the 60s that did this. They took it off the market after a couple of years. I wonder why????????
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

sure it would work in a pinch, but definitely not a permanent use.
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

For years they sold a gadget you screwed into the spark plug hole that had a one way check valve in it to inflate tires.

When they found out the fuel was causing catastrophic tire failures, the company was sued out of existence...
(That's why you don't see them made in the US anymore)

And not to mention the tire men that were hurt or killed when tire machines made a spark trying to get that tire off the rim...

Same thing happens now with 'Fix-A-Flat' stuff that uses PROPANE or BUTANE for propellants!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

A carbureted engine would be a big hazard with fuel mixture. You could unplug the fuel injector on an injected engine and get relatively cleaner air. Still something I would consider as a last resort.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

Ahh, the "Chuffer" tire inflator. It is primarily used for motorcycle/ATV tires as it works best in low volume situations. Take forever to fill a 33" tire. They introduce NO air fuel mix into the tire. You can still find them for sale in the back of biker mags. I've got one in the saddlebag on the Harley as we speak. I stole the quote below off the net, as I'm too tired to do all the typing myself, but it is a good outline of how they work:

"To be serious: a chuffer was a very small air compressor -- like a bicycle tire pump -- that was merely powered by a car/truck/tractor engine.

The name, "chuffer" by the way, came from the sound this device made while in operation. (chuff - wheez - chuff - wheez - chuff - wheez)

Picture in your mind's eye, if you will, a cylinder. At one end was an externally threaded fitting. That end screwed into a vacant spark plug hole. At the other end was a rubber hose. That other end of the hose was connected to the tire (actually the inner tube) of the tire to be inflated.

Within that chuffer cylinder was a piston or diaphragm iwhich was forced to reciprocate because of alternating vacuum and pressure applied to it by the reciprocating engine piston. That is, the vehicle engine was used as merely the source of power for the chuffer.

The chuffer was check-valved such that it drew in fresh air when the chuffer internal diaphragm or piston moved in one direction. When the direction of the diaphragm or piston reversed because of the reversal of the engine piston, the chuffer fresh air intake check-valve closed and the diaphragm or chuffer piston moved in the opposite direction -- compressing the fresh air now trapped within the chuffer and forcing the now compressed air into the rubber inflator hose.

So -- gasoline vapor laden air was not pumped into a tire or anything else being inflated by the chuffer.

The chuffer was a great idea in the days of vehicle engines that had neither cat converters nor fuel injection, but I have no idea how well a chuffer might work with contemporary engines."

Understanding how the chuffer works, you can begin to see that hooking directly to the piston in your engine without some kind of check valve will not inflate your tire. Pumping an explosive air fuel mix into the tire is insane, in any event.

Fix a Flat has used inflammable propellant for a few years now. Tire shops still hate the stuff, primarily because it creates a big mess. Link for verification, or just check a can for ingredients....

http://www.tiredefects.com/fix-a-fla...-inflators.cfm
Unread 03-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty75 View Post
Fix a Flat has used inflammable propellant for a few years now. Tire shops still hate the stuff, primarily because it creates a big mess. Link for verification, or just check a can for ingredients....
Just to make sure no one is confused when they read containers, etc... I think you mean they're non-flammable.

inflammable–adjective
Pronunciation [in-flam-uh-buhl]

1. capable of being set on fire; combustible; flammable.
2. easily aroused or excited, as to passion or anger; irascible: an inflammable disposition.

Definition #2's my favorite but it doesn't apply to this forum.

Usage note:
Inflammable and flammable both mean “combustible.” Inflammable is the older by about 200 years. Flammable now has certain technical uses, particularly as a warning on vehicles carrying combustible materials, because of a belief that some might interpret the intensive prefix in- of inflammable as a negative prefix and thus think the word means “noncombustible.”

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.

Last edited by gojeepin; 03-15-2009 at 07:59 AM..
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

^ Yep, you are absolutely correct. I woke up in the middle of the night and went "damn". I know better. I knew I'd get called on it. Thanks for the correction... Ya gotta love the english language. I give major props to anyone who can learn proper english as a second language, there are no consistent rules.
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Crusty, 'Chuffer' is a different thing entirely.
'Chuffer' used compression to move a small piston to create pressure.
The roughly 3cc of volume the 'Chuffer' produces would take a month to air up the average 15" car tire!

And just for the record, the fuel/air mixture that gets exhausted from the cylinder right next to the intake for the 'Chuffer' still gets a pretty strong gas smell in the tires.
I've changed a few after the 'Chuffer' was used...

The OP, and the gadgets sold by JC Whittney years ago were simply a ball valve, so ALL FUEL wound up in the tire.

'Chuffer' makes for VERY SMALL amounts of volume,
While the idea of using the one way valve or the stem off a compression gauge will net about 40 Cubic Inches of volume for each compression stroke.
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

I've got an old Chuffer still in it's original box.

It's just too cool to actually use it's in such great shape (original packaging and all). I'll go spend $60 on a decent compressor.
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Definitions aside, there are proper useage for both outside of the 'American Vocabulary'...

Inflammable means To Inflame.
You could say 'SOMEONE' or some 'SITUATION' is 'Inflammable' or 'Violently Unpredictable'

Flammable means combustible.
You can say SOMETHING is 'Flammable' or 'Combustible'

Just like 'Regardless' and 'Irregardless' have been so bastardized in the English language they mean the same thing, but shouldn't.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.