On Board Air - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > On Board Air

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #46
Morris4x4Center
Vendor

1987 YJ Wrangler 

On Board Air from VIAIR

We have recently picked up On-Board Air Systems by VIAIR. Although they are not as extreme as some others, we have yet to have a negative customer experience with them. As an "all in one" system they seem to do the job quite well. Components such as Air Tanks and Compressors are also available separately.

Hope this helps,

God Bless...

jeep-accessories-air-systems-viair.jpg  

Morris4x4Center.com

Toll Free: 877.553.5337 | Free Shipping on Orders Over $99!|
PM me for any questions or Price-Matching!
Morris4x4Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #47
surfj9009
1969 CJ5 

I have not seen these 3 ideas mentioned anywhere so I am gonna throw them out there.

As far as heat dissapation for the discharge air, if anybody is really concerned about it than a transmission oil cooler would be a great way to dissapate the heat before it gets to the tank, and they can be found for pennies at local pull and save type wrecking yards.

And here is a good one: With the minimal amount or materials and work it would take, how come everybody spends all the money on fancy manifolds with all the brass fittings and all. A small (5 or 6 inch long) piece of steel pipe, say 1' or 1.5 inch ID, with welded ends, threaded and tapped would only cost a few bucks, maybe.

Third, why all this fuss about getting the right fitting for the crankcase vent to the stone filter. Just drill and tap the compressor for the right size thread for the filter. Seems pretty easy to me. Buy the filter and make it work, instead of buying what you don't really need.

Anyhow, not to knock any other ideas, but this is how mine will get done. Just thought I would mention these ideas for others. Of course I have a CJ 5 and I don't particularly care if it doesnt look shiny, i just prefer functional and cheap.
surfj9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #48
Acidcold
2005 WK 

I have the Heavy Duty Viair system installed on my jeep to air up my 31x10.5 from 18psi to 40psi in about 1 minute or so, i also run a semi air horn. i tried running air tools on this kit but it drains the tank very fast which leaves me with about 5 seconds of actual tool power! sucks! my kit came with 400C air compressor, i'm thinking of running a second compressor for faster tank fill up.

Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #49
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I like the tank.

BTW is that your address on the box?
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #50
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I have the York, upright, blows a little oil but I'm fine with it. It fills an old Nitrogen tank that fits under the hood. HOWEVER I have another that needs new seals. Where's the best place to get them.. top bottom and O-rings? Don't need the shiny plate replaced. Anyone finally got an answer to this one? That way I can have a spare - but it's not worth $60 to do! thanks
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 03:37 AM   #51
surfj9009
1969 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2 View Post
I have the York, upright, blows a little oil but I'm fine with it. It fills an old Nitrogen tank that fits under the hood. HOWEVER I have another that needs new seals. Where's the best place to get them.. top bottom and O-rings? Don't need the shiny plate replaced. Anyone finally got an answer to this one? That way I can have a spare - but it's not worth $60 to do! thanks
I am in the same boat. i picked up a few from the local pull-and-save and would like to rebuild them, but the local auto parts store gave me the wrong gasket kit, and they couldnt find the right one.

Where is a good online source for these rebuild kits, becasue i want a kit for mine as a spare also. I am a big fan of having spare parts.
surfj9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #52
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

I doubt that anyone is still following this thread, but the York crankshaft seal kit is Mopar # J8120180. I located a couple of these about a year ago through my local dealer (@ about $40 each). Since the Yorks were used in a bunch of different makes, including Mercedes, these are also likely available through other vehicle manufactures.

New Ogura (Japanese) clutch assemblies are available through Burden Sales Co. (http://www.surpluscenter.com). Units available are:

1-3145
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #53
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Seem to have cut myself off before I finished the above. The clutches are:

1-3145 Single A belt, 6" dia, 75 ft lbs
1-2769 Double A belts, 6" dia, 90 ft lbs
1-3146 8 groove serpentine belt, 75 ft lbs
1-2184 6 groove sepentine belt, 90 ft lbs

Burden Sales markets a lot of new hydraulic system parts, both regular stock items and surplus. The Ogura clutches are used on their engine driven hydraulic pumps that have the same crank taper and mounting bolt pattern as the Yorks. I am using the 1-2769 unit which was about $90 (versus $115 at O'Reilly's for a rebuilt unit). I also purchased my Campbell Hausfeld air regulators and some 12 volt solenoid valves (air tank drain) from this vender.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #54
PFS

1984 CJ7 

Sweet, duffer. Thanks for the info. Mine's not sounding healthy lately, and might need to go to ICU very soon.
Pete
Unread 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #55
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I missed some nice tech this last summer. I would like to know where Hammer gets those nice relay plugs?????
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #56
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

It's ones we use at work... I work for an Air Ride suspension company, and those 70 amp relays are the only ones we have come across that keep the system working...
the average automotive 20 or 30 amp relays die in short order...
And we often pull TWO COMPRESSORS off of one relay, so they live FINE for a single electric compressor or compressor clutch...

(York compressor clutches only draw about 3 to 5 amps, so the relays I use are WAY OVERKILL for a York clutch.)

The relay it's self is the 'Starter Solenoid' for a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
(I keep telling people the 'Solenoid' is just a relay, but they don't listen!)

And the socket is something we have made up for us at the company.
If you need one, I will root around and see if I have any still in my 'Odd Parts' box...
Contact me on PM and we'll discuss price.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #57
GPER
1979 CJ7 

That's a first, I thought sure you would have a Summit or NAPA number I could pick some up. I was going to use them to clean up the relays on my headlights. I sure don't want any Harley part$$$$$$ in there. Thanks anyway for the offer.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 02:01 AM   #58
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I know old thread, but a few notes I'd like to add/share.

Someone mentioned an auto trans cooler. Check pressures of an auto transmission compared to an OBA setup, It may not last long at all at 125 psi, if you even get above 100 psi...

If you cannot source those nice large amp relays like JH gets (and I'd love to find), if the regular 30a ones burn up, put 2 in parallel.

I would be very leery of using your bumper as a tank. Aired up to 150, get in an accident that can possibly puncture that.. Or if a weld isn't quite good... Put an valve stem in the cap of a 20oz pop bottle and air it up, watch what happens (plug your ears ), then picture a steel tube rupturing...

Replacement clutches for the Yorks are available at many truck stops if they do any A/C work. I work at a large national chain truck stop and we stock clutches and many of the air fittings needed for this project. Of course being a 24hr travel center we are more pricey, but in a pinch..

Acidcold has a nice picture, and pretty tank (no offense) but it is small. That is the reason it is not very well suited for air tools. Instead of a 2nd compressor, put more air storage in the system.

Hope this is all helpful info...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #59
steveojeepster
1978 CJ7 

Does anyone have experience with JeepAir's CJ bracket systems? http://www.jeepair.com/air-conditioning/cj-series-258-six-cyl-engine-bracket-69.php. I'm looking for a bracket set up for a 258ci CJ motor to mount a York compressor. I have had a hell of a time finding stock brackets in salvage yards in the Northeast, and find Kilby's prices to be too high. I'm curious if these kits are of reasonable quality and complete for the install of a York compressor. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.
Steve
steveojeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #60
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Ive not used those brackets however I used a Cherokee (90's) bracket which sits high on the engine. The alternator hangs upside down below the york and you need to make a bracket (very easy ) for the tensioner which ends up underneath.

I changed the pulley on the alternator from one v belt to two (from a ford) and that allows the belt from the engine to drive the alternator and the alternator to drive the york. The belts are a fun trial and error process but I always buy two I can let you have the numbers if you get that far...

There's no need for an idler and the belts do not touch the engine. My one 'jury rig' was that the york top edge touches the upper radiator hose so I have wrapped some innertube around it to protect it.

There are mounting bolts on the engine for the bracket tensioner and a drill and grinder will get you the right 'hole'!

All in all it was a $10 bracket at a yard (and many forums will sell the I6 york bracket for little money), a piece of 1/4inch flat stock about 5x3 and some time.

That's my 2 cents!
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on board air

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.