On Board Air - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > On Board Air

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #31
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

probably a dumb question but....

I wonder if somehow you could just modify the stock smog pump into an air compressor. Maybe put a swich to devert the air into a tank you could do while ideling or something.. then switch the valve back and it operae as normal.. you could just fill a tank up as you needed.

Maybe it has been attempted or even done.. I am not sure.. I'm just thinking out loud.

DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #32
arctichalo
1981 CJ7 

With a 350 SBC, we tried OBA with the GM air conditioner compressor (2x) (Hamilton if I remember correctly). After learning they are lubed by freon (and killed both within momemnts of the tryout), we searched around the junkyards for a York, around $20 or so. With all the extras (toggle switch, wiring, separator, check valve, regulator, brass, lines, etc), and some fab work to mount and plumb for the sepentine, we have around $150 invested. We used the rear bumper for a hold tank, ran the line through the body and made a control manifold for it inside the old glove box hole. It charges to 100 psi in less than a minute while in use, so we don't complain. It is mounted to handle severe trail use, and in a year or so of use, we have had no problems with the system. We use it for swapping / inflating tires mostly. Air tools for trail fixes when needed.
arctichalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #33
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAltman3 View Post
I wonder if somehow you could just modify the stock smog pump into an air compressor. Maybe put a swich to devert the air into a tank you could do while ideling or something.. then switch the valve back and it operae as normal.. you could just fill a tank up as you needed.

Maybe it has been attempted or even done.. I am not sure.. I'm just thinking out loud.

I have actually thought about it before, but I don't think they can build enough pressure to be useful at all, but I'm not 100% on this.

Maybe JeepHammer would know?
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #34
DonAltman3
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah

Although my front bumper looks a bit ugly, it is functional.

Mine holds enough air to fully inflate the 4 tires that are on it.
I put a quick connect air fitting with a gauge and on it.. I make sure to pump it up before I leave but honestly its probably not a great idea for everyone to be driving with an air tank under pressure. I used 1/4 inch thick 3x5 inch tubing and it is welded directly onto the frame.
DonAltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #35
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

Where can I find an electric air compressor? Iv searched and searched but all i can find is the portable rechargeable ones.
nichols077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #36
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Viair - they sell both portable and hardmounted compressors
Extreme Outback - same type a deal as viair
some ppl have a Puma brand compressor, but I can only find an industrial site by that name so i don't know where they come from

4wd.com sells Viair kits, w/ everything you need.
http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?plID=867
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #37
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

thanks man
nichols077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #38
Mudbuggy
1979 CJ5 

Does any one have a source for the small switches? I would like to get one for my system but don't know what part # or source. I don't want the regular air compressor switch. It looks to booty fab. A simple Air Conditioner switch from an automotive system would be perfect, but I don't know what cars had what psi high side switch.
Mudbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #39
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbuggy View Post
Does any one have a source for the small switches? I would like to get one for my system but don't know what part # or source. I don't want the regular air compressor switch. It looks to booty fab. A simple Air Conditioner switch from an automotive system would be perfect, but I don't know what cars had what psi high side switch.
you are referring to the pressure switch? if so, i'm also interested in a source, besides kilby ($40 is a lil steep)

pic of what I'm talking about (from kilby's site)
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
Unread 05-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #40
Mudbuggy
1979 CJ5 

OK I have searched and found that you can get other switches. These switches run about 20 bucks retail. I don't know how killby says buy direct and save! they are way steep. I googled MP# 24551. It seems to be the right thing.I can't remember the settings of it off the top of my head, but I did look at the specs and they seemed about right.
Unread 05-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #41
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i found another source for the smaller style pressure switches
http://suicidedoors.com/AirManagemen...reSwitches.php
Quote:
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #42
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Pressure switches

A response to JeepHammer's condemnation of "pump type" pressure switches is in order. First, the one shown in his jpg does look pretty mickymouse. That said, Square D pressure switches of this type are OEM on a lot of shop air compressers and there are at least a dozen different configerations available for a wide range of pressures and differentials (and they do not give a damn if the media is water or air). I have been using a 100-200 lb version with a 20 lb differential for some time with a 10" York with absolutely no problems. It is currently set to start @ 120 and off @ 140, with a 150 lb safety. The advantage of these switches is that you can set the off/on any place you want within seconds and if you want to spend about $55, you can even get one that you can set the width of the differential range. As for the AC vs DC, I will wager a bet the contacts on these switches will stand far more than any of the "canned" DC versions. Some of the Square D versions are rated to 15 amps @ 220 DC! The only downside to these is that they are not sealed units, and if submerged, most certainly will short. I mounted mine right below the top of the hood and plugged the conduit openings with tight fitting pannel plugs. If you are planning to do a bit of snorkeling, a tube of silicone would do the seal job, but then you would have to remove the gunk to do any adjustments.

Another tidbit: I use a line regulator also, but fitted it with male and female quick connects and just pop it between the hose and bumper outlets. I suppose you could also use it right at the chuck, but it would be a little awkward.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #43
cwajciec

I have had GREAT luck with Seige Engineering for tanks, switches, etc... They run air horns, air suspension, and also OBA.

See below on EBAY. Switches for $12. I have their tank and switch and it has worked for the past year.

http://stores.ebay.com/Siege-Engineering-Equipment

I have a slight oil blowby issue, but I just drain the tank after hard use and refill the crank. I have seen very little oil in the actual air line to the tires. It seems to separate in the tank.
cwajciec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:02 AM   #44
Mudbuggy
1979 CJ5 

Seems EBAY is the place to go for the switch. I searched air horn switch and it pulled up a few of these small switches. Thanks!
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #45
Mudbuggy
1979 CJ5 

I gave suicide doors a try. I ordered ever thing I needed and it should be here next week. The switch was a couple bucks more, but they had all the DOT air lines and fittings. Seems like a one stop shop. I like it. Thanks!

Tags
on board air

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.