Bluto's Nonsense-79 CJ 5 Do-Over - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bluto's Nonsense-79 CJ 5 Do-Over

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #31
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Yes... you need a plan! In my experience taking a Jeep apart is the easy part of a build, and it's much faster. You're attacking it with vengeance! But the idea of a cattail in a high wind comes to mind! Kind of scatters everywhere. If dismantling the Jeep is your primary focus, then you are doing a great job. Pretty soon it will be in little pieces, clogging up your garage, and you'll be scratching your head wondering what to do next.

What is your goal? How nice is this Jeep going to be upon completion? What are you going to use it for?

Take it down as far as you want to go. Send out parts to shops that you don't intend to tackle. While waiting for parts to come back, pick something to fix... one thing at a time. Personally, I would do body work last, but that's my opinion. If you do body work now it will likely get scuffed/scratched during storage, unless you plan to use your living room.

I was scared of the wiring on my '79 too, but it proved to be something I could figure out with the help of a Chiltons. You can too. It doesn't take a lot of wires to make it run. Aftermarket wiring makes it easy, but it can be costly. Do some pricing research on parts before you junk something.

Your hood can be fixed. You need a hammer and dolly. Watch a video on how to use it then get busy.

Your fenders could be made into flat fenders, if you like that look.

Use aircraft stripper to remove the paint/decal.

Grind off the bolt head on the dash.

When easy-outs break off inside a drilled screw then your problems are compunded by 400%! Center-punch a broken bolt, drill it out, careful to not damage the threads. Clean the hole with a tap. Get a tap set!

ALL the bolts you will use can be bought. They are not scarce. Most can be had at your local DIY store.

Sandpaper is good until it doesn't sand anymore! Coarse sandpaper will leave grooves in the surface. Better to go too fine than too coarse, IMO.

Okay. Got all that? Now pick something and ask questions.

Good luck.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #32
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Yes... you need a plan! In my experience taking a Jeep apart is the easy part of a build, and it's much faster. You're attacking it with vengeance! But the idea of a cattail in a high wind comes to mind! Kind of scatters everywhere. If dismantling the Jeep is your primary focus, then you are doing a great job. Pretty soon it will be in little pieces, clogging up your garage, and you'll be scratching your head wondering what to do next.

What is your goal? How nice is this Jeep going to be upon completion? What are you going to use it for?

Take it down as far as you want to go. Send out parts to shops that you don't intend to tackle. While waiting for parts to come back, pick something to fix... one thing at a time. Personally, I would do body work last, but that's my opinion. If you do body work now it will likely get scuffed/scratched during storage, unless you plan to use your living room.

I was scared of the wiring on my '79 too, but it proved to be something I could figure out with the help of a Chiltons. You can too. It doesn't take a lot of wires to make it run. Aftermarket wiring makes it easy, but it can be costly. Do some pricing research on parts before you junk something.

Your hood can be fixed. You need a hammer and dolly. Watch a video on how to use it then get busy.

Your fenders could be made into flat fenders, if you like that look.

Use aircraft stripper to remove the paint/decal.

Grind off the bolt head on the dash.

When easy-outs break off inside a drilled screw then your problems are compunded by 400%! Center-punch a broken bolt, drill it out, careful to not damage the threads. Clean the hole with a tap. Get a tap set!

ALL the bolts you will use can be bought. They are not scarce. Most can be had at your local DIY store.

Sandpaper is good until it doesn't sand anymore! Coarse sandpaper will leave grooves in the surface. Better to go too fine than too coarse, IMO.

Okay. Got all that? Now pick something and ask questions.

Good luck.
I appreciate the reply. The plan such as it is right now is to finish dismantling the jeep. Lift the tub, pull the drivetrain, wash, grind where necessary and paint or Por 15 the frame. Blast the tub, good fender, repair or replace the bad fender, tack the hole in the, driver's side rocker...

A 360 will be rebuilt at some point, T176/D300 found/rebuilt/installed, but that is way down the road. Either 1-piece the AMC 20 or replace it, but that is later.

I will do what I can and get pro or semi pro help on the rest.

I'll drive it on the street, maybe the occasional trail or mud when I can. Not a rock crawler.

I'm waiting to get it to a friends shop to try to weld nuts on the frozen/stripped bolts and go at them that way. The engine will be pulled there and the tub lifted.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #33
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
I appreciate the reply. The plan such as it is right now is to finish dismantling the jeep. Lift the tub, pull the drivetrain, wash, grind where necessary and paint or Por 15 the frame. Blast the tub, good fender, repair or replace the bad fender, tack the hole in the, driver's side rocker...

A 360 will be rebuilt at some point, T176/D300 found/rebuilt/installed, but that is way down the road. Either 1-piece the AMC 20 or replace it, but that is later.

I will do what I can and get pro or semi pro help on the rest.

I'll drive it on the street, maybe the occasional trail or mud when I can. Not a rock crawler.

I'm waiting to get it to a friends shop to try to weld nuts on the frozen/stripped bolts and go at them that way. The engine will be pulled there and the tub lifted.
Your plan sounds very good to me. Of course, all this is my opinion, but getting the frame done to satisfaction, then axles, etc, gives you a platform to start reassembling the Jeep upon. Kind of like having a table to lay parts!

I'll stay away from any drivetrain comments. Too many others with a higher level of intellignece than I!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #34
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Your plan sounds very good to me. Of course, all this is my opinion, but getting the frame done to satisfaction, then axles, etc, gives you a platform to start reassembling the Jeep upon. Kind of like having a table to lay parts!

I'll stay away from any drivetrain comments. Too many others with a higher level of intellignece than I!
Thanks. The shop I will use from time to time is 30 mins away. So there will be an issue as to what pieces will be where and when. The advantage is having tools, someone who knows what they are doing, hydraulic lift, welders, compressors etc.. The disadvantage is getting the time to be there and not at home.
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #35
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

After sanding, scraping, chemicals and finally a 3M decal "eraser" the decal is off. There will be more sanding to do and the fill to go but at least the hideous decal is gone...

I need a change of pace so tomorrow I'll do something else, don't know what but something else.
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #36
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Moving along

finally got a few things done...the stubborn single bolt holding the dash went away...

So I started labeling wires...every plug or connector that I could find...

The fuse panel (?), had some odd wiring, things just shoved into the panel, not necessarily with a fuse...

What's left of the defrost/defog duct...

Various other pieces of the heater box..

Removed...

The dash finally out..

Yea!

Took a pretty good whack to get this unstuck...

Some sort of critter lived in here...

Some of the mess I was digging out of the top vent area on the hood near the windshield...

For removing the E Brake assembly. Everything is unbolted, this is all that is holding it in. I cannot budge the little "bead" through the linkage up at all to allow it to come out of the space...(sorry don't know the terms ), I only need about 1/2 inch of movement of the "bead" (blue arrow) in the linkage to clear the lips (red arrows) of the bracket and the cable will clear. It is completely frozen. Other than cutting it what can I do to get it moving enough to get it off of there?

Hopefully in the evenings this week I will remove the master cylinder, the old seatbelts which I can't seem to break loose, the pedal assemblies, the rest of the heater/duct stuff and do another power wash. Also have to remove the nasty decals on the side panels as well.

Editorials are welcome.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #37
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Under the body before the rear axle you should see the set up below. Its the e-brake tensioner. If you back off the two nuts on the threaded portion you should be able to move the cable. However, judging by the rust on other parts, these may be frozen up too. In that case you will probably want to cut the cable. The e-brake cable is something you will want to replace in your rebuild.
100_1195-small-.jpg  
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #38
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker909 View Post
Under the body before the rear axle you should see the set up below. Its the e-brake tensioner. If you back off the two nuts on the threaded portion you should be able to move the cable. However, judging by the rust on other parts, these may be frozen up too. In that case you will probably want to cut the cable. The e-brake cable is something you will want to replace in your rebuild.
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Congrats on the forward progress. Don't sweat the wiring. If you miss labeling something it isn't a big deal. All the plugs go to specific equipment, and they don't cross up. The exception is the orange strand and the black strand for your dash lighting, and it doesn't matter which one is plugged into which one... if that makes sense!

Chiltons has a good breakdown of the wiring. It is tedious at first but when you sit down and start following each wire you will come to understand it. Any splices that you make you will want some dielectric grease and heat-shrink. Preferrably soldered joints, although that didn't work out so well for me!

Also, there s a very good heater box rebuild thread started by rixcj. Everything you ever wanted to know about the heater box with commentary and pics from some of the best of the best. There is a blower motor upgrade that you will want to do while it is all out of the Jeep.

Keep going, Bluto.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #40
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Thanks, I'll be doing the motor upgrade but I need to locate the other thread I haven't seen that one.
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #41
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Since I've been short of time (and money since I started buying a house) I'm given to piecemealing projects on 'Black Betty' as I have time (7 days working week). This'll allow me to progress without things getting out of control. I say well done on all of your photos you're taking to help with re assambly.
With regard to the existing wiring from what I can see it doesn't seem like toast yet, but inkeeping with the JeepHammer idiom, this'd be a great opportunity to upgrade wiring/switches/relays. This is an element I'm presently working on myself and as a result my wire soldering skills have increased to a much higher level than I've ever had. (a lift of the lynch lid to those here that have helped me on this stuff)

All the best with your project!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Subscribed Keep up the Great work!!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #43
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
Thanks, I'll be doing the motor upgrade but I need to locate the other thread I haven't seen that one.
Everything you ever wanted to know... and then some.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-heavy-975999/

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #44
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker909 View Post
I went under tonight and followed your suggestion. Mine actually had a lot of slack and the bracket was dangling, I took from that it is cemented in with mud and rust along the line so I cut it, there was no way it was reusable for anything.
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #45
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Everything you ever wanted to know... and then some.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-heavy-975999/
Thank you!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.