Blown head gasket? again! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Blown head gasket? again!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
trueprimitive
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Blown head gasket? again!

I just put a new head gasket on my 4.2 about a month ago and it has run just fine until I was out ridin the other day and stopped, took the oil cap off and what do you know white residue all over the inside of the cap! I drove it home and parked it. Do you guys think the head gasket could just need to be retorqued?

trueprimitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Did you have the head checked to see if its warped?

-

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Some of that can occur from condensation and does not automatically mean the head gasket is shot. Crack the oil filter loose and collect the oil in a clean tub to see what it really looks like. The last time it went out what happened, was there oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil or both? Could be residual signs from the first time it happened.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Some of that can occur from condensation and does not automatically mean the head gasket is shot. Crack the oil filter loose and collect the oil in a clean tub to see what it really looks like. The last time it went out what happened, was there oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil or both? Could be residual signs from the first time it happened.
+1 solid advice. Does it taste sweet like coolant?
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
trueprimitive
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There was coolant in the oil the first time the gasket went, and no I didnt have the head checked to see if it was warped.
trueprimitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

There was probably a lot of residual moisture in the crankcase and block from the first failure. You're likely seeing that condensing on the cap. Like I said, crack the oil filter or drain it all into a clean bucket. If it looks like chocolate milk, you're in trouble. If it looks clean, put it back in and run it. Might not be a bad idea to shorten the interval for the first oil change after the head gasket replacement. Extended full temperature engine runs are the best thing to help burn that off. Short trips typically compound it.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.