Blown Head Gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Blown Head Gasket?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Blown Head Gasket?

Hi Everyone,

First off I want to thank everyone for all your help over the past few years since owning my jeep. You guys are the best. So here's the problem I have. I have a 1984 Jeep CJ 7 4cyl (amc 150) t-5. I had the engine rebuilt a few years ago from a local shop in town. They gave a warranty with the engine saying 3yrs 36K miles which ever comes first. So after 2 yrs I've only put on about 7k miles. My job changed and I don't drive it much but at least once a week (I walk to work now). Well needless to say everythings been fine with the jeep until recently. I got gas and was driving it home when all of a sudden I heard a loud pop and then I lost power. Needless to say I ended up blowing the head gasket. I took it to my mechanic and he said the same thing. So I called the guy who rebuilt the engine and explained the situation to him and my mechanic called him (since they have done business with him) and he said that a blwon head gasekt is not covered under warrenty. And gave me every excuse of how it can happen and that more then likely coolant leaked in there etc. Well my mechanic believes that it was tightened down to tight and cracked the gasket. Well I had to get it fixed and turns out the heads needed to be re-drilled and 600 later It was fixed. I'm planning on going to small claims court since I feel that this should have been covered under warranty. He claims it was really rich and my mechanic said yeah it was since the gasket was blown (he feels I'm getting scre##d).

What are symptons of a blown head gasket?

Mind you with my jeep, I was having no problems up until then. I drove it about 30 miles and was on my way home to get gas. Got gas and then had about 5 miles to go when the lound bang/pop happened and lost compression.

thanks,

chris

Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.