Blown fuse issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Blown fuse issues

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

Blown fuse issues

I keep blowing my IGN LPS fuse when I have my sound system hooked up. Pioneer head unit with amp and sub. Also the head unit will operate with the ground unhooked. Anyone want to tackle this one??

Booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

You have a direct short a bare wire or connection grounding and blowing the fuse. Or it is wired incorrectly which is why it works without a GROUND.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You do not have it hooked up to the Radio socket on the Fuse Box. This outlet is powered by the ACCY fuse. Instead you have it hooked somehow to the IGNLPS feed which goes to the instrument cluster etc. I suggest you go and look at where it is wired and, if you have the original fuse box, consider hooking it into the panel properly. It may be that your sound gear is far more powerful than AMC engineers realised in the 1960s when the electrical system was designed so that 10 Amp ACCY fuse may not be enough.

As to the ground issue, you may have an extraneus ground through the case of the head unit. This is not desirable as it will probably be a dirty ground and drawing too much amperage. I suggest you look at the grounding overall on the panel and whether a seperate ground system would be a good investment. Old CJs ground through the steel bodywork (aka rust) so a dedicated wired ground system back to the battery can cure such issues.

I attach various pics. They are a mish mash of early 80s fuse box data (the 1984 diagram is applicable but of course a 1980 does not have electronic engine control) and illustrate the point about where you should be connecting the stereo. You may only have a cigar lighter on the ACCY circuit, maybe not, but the stero should be attached here so it is available with the key in ACCY and RUN. At the moment it may be availbel in RUN and START but not ACCY. If you have it availabel in ACCY you can listen to the vibes without the ignition on, a good idea as the ICM can cook in 5 minutes in RUn without the engine running.
84-86_fuseblock.jpg  
84-86fuseboxsch-copy-2-.jpg

82fusebox.jpg

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

That's only a 3 amp circuit.
You need to run a dedicated circuit.
LG
Unread 03-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yep, I wonder how much all that stuff needs?? If it is a lot then it will need a seperate power supply depending on wire sizes. Tapping off the solenoid into a fusible link and then a fuse would be a good starting point, then ground back to a common ground point.

You are right LG, the IGNLPS circuit was smaller in the early 80s, it was enlarged when the computer was added as the diagrams show.

My radio only needs more than 2 Amps when it has water inside.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have never seen a stereo and amp, let alone a sub that would run off the stock Jeep fuse panel. The one in my YJ has cables the size of my little finger (4ga?)with 60a fuses direct to the battery. The one in my CJ uses 10 ga cable fused at the battery posts.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

The radio is wired to the radio output on the fuse box so that's the part that makes no sense to me. The amp gets direct feed from the battery.
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger1 View Post
The radio is wired to the radio output on the fuse box so that's the part that makes no sense to me. The amp gets direct feed from the battery.
Ground issues stealing the 'ground feed' thought the light circuit would be my next guess. You likely have the stereo wired to light up right?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Do you have constant power hooked up to the head for the clock and memory?
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

Yes it does
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

Seems like that wire goes directly to the battery tho.
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
I keep blowing my IGN LPS fuse when I have my sound system hooked up. Pioneer head unit with amp and sub. Also the head unit will operate with the ground unhooked. Anyone want to tackle this one??
Total wild guess.
I hooked up a radio once and got the ground and dash light feed mixed up. Radio played, it was using the dash lights for the ground path. What tipped me off as to my error was the volume and intensity of the song being played, the dash lights glowed brighter or dimmed with the same intensity. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon In Tucson View Post
Total wild guess.
I hooked up a radio once and got the ground and dash light feed mixed up. Radio played, it was using the dash lights for the ground path. What tipped me off as to my error was the volume and intensity of the song being played, the dash lights glowed brighter or dimmed with the same intensity. God bless.
Jon In Tucson
He does say it works with no ground connected......
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

Yes it's getting ground from somewhere. I guess this evening I'll pull it out and make sure it's not grounding through the case. If it still plays I guess I'll start disconnecting wires one at a time till I find it.
Unread 03-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Yes it's getting ground from somewhere. I guess this evening I'll pull it out and make sure it's not grounding through the case. If it still plays I guess I'll start disconnecting wires one at a time till I find it.
Confused. Why would you not want the case grounded? Then you would have to tie the speaker grounds to the body or something to ground the unit or it will steal a ground through the lamp circuit. If the unit has a dedicated ground wire, that should go to the battery. The tub is not a good clean ground source.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.