Blower Motor Doesnt Blow - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
TRLR8TDD
2015 JK Wrangler 

Cj Blower Motor Doesnt Blow

Hi all, trying to get my "new to me" 78 CJ7 so my wife will ride with me! The blower doesn't blow-at all. All the wires seem to be there, the fuse is good, turn the key "on" turn the switch and nothing? My eyes are crossed from staring at diagrams. Does anyone have a little insight? Whats the first most logical place to look, then maybe second? This is a V8 conversion (360) if that might matter.

'16 JKU (Hers) Lots of Mods
'78 C7 (Mine) 4:10 Detroit Locker Moser Axles AMC360 TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2016, 07:23 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRLR8TDD View Post
Hi all, trying to get my "new to me" 78 CJ7 so my wife will ride with me! The blower doesn't blow-at all. All the wires seem to be there, the fuse is good, turn the key "on" turn the switch and nothing? My eyes are crossed from staring at diagrams. Does anyone have a little insight? Whats the first most logical place to look, then maybe second? This is a V8 conversion (360) if that might matter.
Check the GROUND contacts!

Remove them and clean them real good. Then clean the terminal plug at the box. Most issues are GROUND related if everything else is in order. Check all the terminals, including in the engine compartment.

Also, play with the heater fan switch. Rotate it back and forth many times; spraying some electrical cleaner directly into the pod on the backside of the dash will HELP. I know, hard to get to but DO IT. Your car is over 30 years old. Sometimes, just playing with the switch will clean the interior contact points.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I would check 4 places
fuse block
back of switch (or switch itself)
the resistor on the air intake tube
the wire going to the blower motor under the battery tray.

check contact and voltage at all those places.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
TRLR8TDD
2015 JK Wrangler 

I'll put a meter on those places as soon as the rain stops! I tried to get the wipers to work Sunday (ordered a new motor). The PO had the cover off the plenum where the resistor is.(hmm). I'm going to put a blazer motor in too while I'm in there if I have to start a disassembly. I did the switch cycle trick quite a few times, usually works on an airplane-didn't work on the CJ!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-04-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
TRLR8TDD
2015 JK Wrangler 

By the way, are there separate grounds for the motor? I only know of the plug in the back, plug on the switch and the resistor plug.
Not so sure about the wire coming off the voltage regulator according to the diagram.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The motor grounds through its case so the box has to be grounded. Just put 12 volts to the plug on the back and it should blow. If not, then motor or case ground are bad.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Five stars for Mike and the other supporters who responded.
If the blower motor is bad consider doing the blazer blower motor up grade, just do a in the search on this forum, and what a difference it is to not only be able to dry the windshield completely but to also have some real heat in the rig.
Around here [Oregon coast] in winter I have to leave the drivers window half way down [hard doors and top] so not to fall a sleep wile driving, after this upgrade.
RN
post #8 of 9 Old 01-05-2016, 07:56 PM
RadioRadio
1980 CJ5 

I'd suspect the "hot" wire going into the motor. It lives under the battery tray, exposed to acid and muck tossed up from the road. My motor's spade tab was completely corroded off....did the Blazer upgrade and never looked back.

RadioRadio | 1980 CJ-5
post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
TRLR8TDD
2015 JK Wrangler 

Thank Y'all for your help! With that info, I can Fix it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.