Blinker help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Blinker help

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
row684
1984 CJ7 

Blinker help

I'm finishing up my 84 cj7 rebuild and having some trouble with the blinkers. The right side the front blinks normal and nothing in the rear, drivers side nothing but an irregular "click...click........click...click", I checked the fuses and the plugs at the lights and plug on the column and replaced the flasher.??? I also have no brake lights but I haven't looked into the switch on that one yet.

row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

Make sure your taillight is wired correctly! I had a similar problem cause had wires crossed on my taillights
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Also make sure the metal backing plate inside the rear brake light housings are grounded.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
row684
1984 CJ7 

I did replace the whole brake light assemblies, they only plugged in one way but I'll check with a test light. Was thinking of running a wire from the inside of the housing where the bolts that hold it to the tub to the frame to ground it
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:18 AM   #5
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

a cool way to check your taillights is with a test light. ground the test light to the bumper and with the test light grounded and your blinker on say, left turn signal, (to the bare wire) the test light will blink as your left turn signal, (through the test light). its a faster way to see what turn signal wires are which. another thing that will cause your turn signals not to work is the turn signal switch inside the column binding.
Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It sounds like your loom is disconnected at the Frame Harness Connector near the dash.

You may as well start at the connector and look for voltage there.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
konman2k4
1979 CJ7 

I had very similar problems with mine. Like Bagus said, check the wire loom.

Trace the wire bundle that runs under the lip of the drive side door opening. It will run up into a wide flat connector with about 6 to 7 wires in it. My problem was that the pins in the harness had worked loose. Even thought the connecters were firmly connected, the pins had push back far enough to break the connection.

Tip. If this is the problem you are having don't pull the connectors apart, instead use a small pair of needle nose pliers and push the wires back into the plastic connector. Long term solution cut out plastic connectors and crimp wires together or folder wires over side of connector and tape in place to keep them from moving.
konman2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
row684
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys I still haven't got a chance to mess with it the inlaws are in town. I did look at that connecter before at the column it did look loose but i thought I got it back together didn't think to check the wires going into it, will sneak off in the morning for a peak.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.