Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Blew Up My T150. Serious Bummer. Misery Loves Company, Cry With Me

3K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  RedNeckCorvette 
#1 ·
So I just got my CJ back together after a few years and a lot of hard work and sweat. I have been on cloud 9. Even posted my big thanks to everyone here for all the help.
Anyway, I take it out today with plans for a long drive in this beautiful Southern Oregon spring weather to give it some easy going miles to break in everything. Not to be :brickwall
Stopped at a store for a soda, left the parking lot going through the gears in an unhurried manner. Just got up to around 50 mph and BAM! The trans blew. horrible grinding and shaking and no power being transmitted to the wheels. Got it stopped and tried all gears but no go. Grinds in all gears and does not move. I think it's toast. I must have done something wrong when I went through it.
Looking for input now. Should I find another T150? Seems everybody gets rid of them. Should I look for one of the granny 1st gear trannys? I don't even know what to do now, I'm so depressed.

Thanks for letting me whine.
Gary:umbrella:

#35 ·
I'm surprised that Rich or Paul didn't have an answer for this, or parts for the T150.
Sorry to lead you into a blind alley...

Have you considered swapping to a stronger trans like a T18?
The close ratio is more streetable, the wide ratio is best driven like a three-speed with first reserved for crawling or pulling.
The T18 in either version is a very strong and reliable transmission.

#36 ·
I'm surprised that Rich or Paul didn't have an answer for this, or parts for the T150.
Sorry to lead you into a blind alley...

Have you considered swapping to a stronger trans like a T18?
The close ratio is more streetable, the wide ratio is best driven like a three-speed with first reserved for crawling or pulling.
The T18 in either version is a very strong and reliable transmission.
Rich was very nice and helpful. He just explained, as I well know, that some of these pieces are getting so old and that the parts are getting harder to come by. He said this is especially so regarding the T150, as it was only used a few years.
I will be heading up to Bend, Oregon this Saturday. I hope the T150 I found there works out.
Thought about the T18 but they are even rarer out here than the T150, if that's even possible. Found one about an hour away but the fellow wants $1000 for it. :eyebulge:
Ah, such is capitalism, supply and demand don't ya know. Wife would divorce me if I spent that much more on it right now. :teehee:

#37 ·
Found a used trans/tc combination about 4 hours from here up in Bend, Oregon. (Thanks so much for all of the offers:thankyou:) Met the very nice young man who had a few decent parts. Sold me the setup for $75.00! Got it home and tore it down and thankfully all of the parts I needed were in great shape plus I have a spare Dana 20 transfer case.
I was very interested to see the gasket and seal setup between these pieces because it appears they have been together a LONG time and there evidently was no oil issues. Even more confused now. There was NO output seal on the trans. There was a gasket but it was not solid, it had all of the openings in it. So this setup shared fluids. I just don't get it??? If you hold the trans and transfer case level, the fill plug on the t/c is about and inch lower. So do you just fill up both from the trans and not worry about fill level plug in the t/c? Very odd.
As for me, I'm sealing the trans up, using the solid gasket, output seal in place with spring towards the front of the trans, and filling both trans and t/c separately. I will be checking gear oil level constantly as well.

#38 ·
So I thought I would wrap this thread up so that others who read this can learn from my mistakes and fixes.
1) Sealed all of the holes in the rear face of the T150 with epoxy.
2) Installed the rear trans seal with the spring side facing the front of the trans.
3) Used Permatex Aviation Sealer around rear bearing adapter/retainer where it press fits into the trans housing.
4) Used the "solid" gasket between the trans and t/c.
5) Used Permatex Ultra Gray RTV on the gasket between the trans and t/c (both sides) with a very THIN layer.
6) Filled both trans and t/c with gear oil separately to the fill plug level.

I have approximately 100 miles on the trans. So far, all is well. Shifts great and nice & quiet with NO leaks. I have checked the gear oil levels in both cases twice and have found the levels to be as they should. I will change oil in both at 500 miles and hopefully that will close this chapter... whew! :p

#40 ·
Did you use the rear seal in the trans? If so, which direction did you install the seal? Ya, wish I had talked to you awhile ago:rolleyes: Glad you had better luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.