Blew out my Eaton truetrac today. :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Blew out my Eaton truetrac today. :(

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I was out fishing today and went up river next door looking for a few more for supper and after a nice catch went to leave the river, had to go up a bit of of a hill climb and crunch grind, I only was digging the fronts in. I had to back down and go up in reverse.

What a piece of garbage, they have only ever seen my driveway in snow since new, except for a highway run to get here. That was their first dirt hill climb.

Not impressed.

Gotta open it up and see what blew.

Still was a nice day though.

Edit: Truetrac is blown, axle splines are stripped out of it

Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Bummer. We expect pictures of the carnage.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

im thrashed the crap out of my liberty and i got both front and rear on 32s/4.10s and never had an issue for 2 years. Now ill be scared to drive my liberty lol
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Tigerjeep79
1979 CJ7 

I thought these things were tough! I've certainly thrashed on mine over the years without issue (of course, how much "thrashing" can you do with a six-banger?). Keep us posted, please. My confidence is wavering now.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I got 45k on my liberty with them. Don't laugh that I have a liberty I got it in pa when I lived there
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858
I got 45k on my liberty with them. Don't laugh that I have a liberty I got it in pa when I lived there
Off roading in PA is nothing but rocks.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I have beat the living crap out of mine and not had an issue.
Actually, this is the first time I've heard of a TruTrack giving up that had lubricant in it...

Since Mike Romain knows EXACTLY what he's doing, I'm inclined to believe it was the TruTrack and not him...
I would be interested in knowing what gave up and maybe seeing some pictures...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

If it doesn't rain too hard I am going to open it tomorrow. Today was garden planting time.

Not impressed with the front truetrac either! When I got to the top lip of the hill in reverse finally, I had two wheels in the air and no wheels turning... I hit the brakes, no change, one front wheel in the air spinning away and the rear just grinding away. I had to get out and dig behind the stopped front wheel so I could push the SOB over the lip....

NOT impressed.....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I have beat the living crap out of mine and not had an issue.
Actually, this is the first time I've heard of a TruTrack giving up that had lubricant in it...

Since Mike Romain knows EXACTLY what he's doing, I'm inclined to believe it was the TruTrack and not him...
I would be interested in knowing what gave up and maybe seeing some pictures...
I beat the crap out of mine too. I broke a super 88 shaft before the truetrac showed signs of slowing. Loved it in snow but had to go selectable because if you lift a tire, its nothing more than a fancy open differential.
Unread 05-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Anyone else have issues with them? As some of u may have seen, since I have been posting like a mad man the last two days, I'm putting one in my D44 rear right now. I don't like to hear that Mike had a tire in the air not turning...not good news. Hope that's not a common...
jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its not a locker. They're not all supposed to turn when they are in the air.
Unread 05-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Its not a locker. They're not all supposed to turn when they are in the air.
I guess I thought when one of the wheels started to turn those heli gears spread out inside and give power to both axles...am I wrong?
Unread 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I believe Trutracs are warranted for tires up to 32". Yes they are a limited slip so one tire in the air means that tire can see all the power. The strongest of the limited slips is the Power Lok and depending how you arrange the clutch discs, they can lock up really solid..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzcj5 View Post
I guess I thought when one of the wheels started to turn those heli gears spread out inside and give power to both axles...am I wrong?
You need some resistance on the other wheel for that to happen which is why applying the brakes helps. All limited slips pretty much work that way.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #15
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj
You need some resistance on the other wheel for that to happen which is why applying the brakes helps. All limited slips pretty much work that way.
I did hear that before, this will be my first trutrac so I'll guess I have to learn that. I know they are never fully locked but I thought that wouldn't happen? Sounds like I'm going to leave my lunchbox locker in the front. I just got a little sick of the lunchbox locker in the rear, it was a little funky while drive on the street.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.