bleeding brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > bleeding brakes

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #1
KG4PAM

bleeding brakes

how do i bleed the brakes? i read in my manuals that there is supposed to be some sort of tool attached to the combination valve that you use to pull some sort of valve, or something along those lines. there is no such thing on my combo valve. the reason i ask this is that i have a spongy brake pedal. i suspect that part of the problem may be resulting from my patching a brake line with duct tape a while back, when i put new front pads/shoes on. the hose looked kinda worn, so i put some duct tape around it to extend its life. i got new hoses yesterday, so thati can replace them and then bleed the brakes. thanks for any help you can provide! jairus

KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2002, 03:24 PM   #2
55-willys

ive always had someone pump the brakes, hold the pedal to the floor, then crack the bleeder on the backing plate, let the person push the pedal to the floor, close the bleeder valve, and start over again until no air comes out of that bleeder. not sure of the order but your manual should tell you, left rear, right rear and so on.
Unread 10-23-2002, 05:34 AM   #3
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

KG4PAM,

I've always done it the way 55-willys has stated that is until I had to do my last brake job, I took it to the shop, ha ha, NOT. I got a brake bleeder tool/kit from Auto Zone, it attaches to the bleeder valve, you open the valve with the Master Cylinder full of fluid and pump the lever on the tool and bingo the brakes are done.
Make sure you pump until there is no more air being pumped out and make sure you check the fluid in the Master Cylinder often.
One caliper took a couple of tries until it worked.
Also, buy a good bleeding tool, I got the cheap one and it leaked air and was a little hard to determine if it was bled out.

Good Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.