Bilstein 5100 shock body corrosion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bilstein 5100 shock body corrosion

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Bilstein 5100 shock body corrosion

Does anyone who has the aluminum bodied 5100 shocks have problems with corrosion? I just pulled one of mine out of the box and it's already got some dulling started. I'm thinking of spraying some clear on them but not sure how long that will last. I tried cleaning it up with some steel wool but it didn't seem to do much more than remove the slight bit of texture. Any thoughts or experiences?

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

After you get them on the Jeep and hit a few salty roads, won't they start to look corroded pretty quickly anyhow? I would think they would get some kind of white-ish patina on them like aluminum sometimes gets, but I'd think that's just on the surface. I've never been one to wash my shock absorbers. Mine were white when I installed them but they're pretty dingy looking now. If they corrode, they corrode.

On the other hand, maybe they're old and have been sitting on the shelf a long time?
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I thought they just seemed to have some sort of clear finish on them. That is until I pulled that one from the box. My shocks have always had some color of paint on them so I'm not familiar with just the brushed aluminum ones.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.