Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Billy G's, YJ to CJ conversion, Trips and General BS

225K views 3K replies 80 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. My main problem is pictures being to big from the computer. The computer in question is a 1 year old MacBook pro, the iphoto is great, I just can't seem to get the pictures small enough.

I have several projects in the works, the first being a new DD. This is where the YJ comes into play. Its a 1989, came with a 4 cyl. that I sold for $50, beyond repair soft top, no gas tank, 1/2 hard doors with 2 different soft uppers, a funnel, set of ramps, and some new SS parts in a box, ( check the next post for pictures from my Droid. 96,300 miles.

The plan is a 305 Chevy/TH700r4/np241. I know the PO of this setup, milage is 130,000. It does need valve seals, the transmission was rebuilt 3,500 miles ago, and thats where I'm starting with the pictures.

As you can see, under the valve covers is very clean. the spring compression tool came from O'reillys, the hose from a compression gauge I bought a number of years ago.

More pictures in the next post.

Bill

Sorry about the to large pictures.

Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#164 ·
Picked up a single wire alternator at a rebuild shop today, $74.45 with core.

Found out the steering pump will work with the 1989 lines.
Traced out some vacuum lines for the CAD front axle.
And spent some time with the YJ underhood wiring. The CJ dash install will wait till spring.
All with the help of a Chiltons and Google
Some pictures.
I think I'll have to go to the YJ section on the in tank electric pump vs the mechancial fuel pump, unless someone here has a idea.
Bill

Attachments

#169 ·
Cool, if I can help in return let me know. Thank You.

What is a CAD front axle?? :confused:
See what Dave wrote

"Center Axle Disconnect" IIRC
You remember correctly. Its actually close to the E-Drive shift in a Quadra-trac, Scott.
A vacuum actuator moves a shift fork and splined collar over a splined opposing axle shaft,midway between the pumpkin and knuckle connecting the two. Three lines run to the axle, one being a vent, yet another runs to a vacuum switch that sends a ground to the dash light. There are 4 lines running to the TC, looks like spaghetti and is very colorful.(red, blue, black, and yellow) It still uses spider gears, and the YJ's use unit bearings like newer cars, so no lockouts .

Bill

#173 ·
Hey, still motivated, did a little reworking of the skid plate. Put together a drive shaft, so I could move this thing around without pushing and pulling it
, once I get it running.
Put a plug in the hi pressure PS line to replace some kind of sending unit. ( no clue what its for)

This NP 241c transfer case is huge, as you can see in the picture. It not the stock TC.

Going to have a front DS issue, the stock DS u-joint is tiny compared to the 241 yoke. They do make u-joints with different ends. I have one the adapts a 297 or 760 to a 1350. Haha can't find it.

Put a new to me rebuilt starter on the 305, couldn't find the one I took off 2 years ago.

Currently in the process of bleeding the power steering of air, then finish with the final install of the exhaust manifolds.

Bill

Attachments

#174 ·
Trying for a better picture of the TC. The same issues would be there on a CJ

Not hard to see why a slip yoke eliminator is needed
That tailshaft is 6" long.

Real fun tomorrow, I get to bend new tranny cooler lines, past the bell housing, starter, motor mounts fuel pump, taking into consideration the exhaust.

Bill

Attachments

#175 ·
One more post for Scott. Dipped my finger in, good stuff, Thank you and Beth.

On another note, one of our fire chiefs called today
Seems I took 1 to many vacation days. 24 hours pay will be deducted from my next pay check. No radiator for three more weeks.

Bill

Attachments

#176 ·
A post hore tonight, before cranking the engine with the starter, I prelubed with this and my drill, ran it till oil came to the rocker arms. Home made, works on AMC V-8's also. Nothing more than a 8" bolt, 2 coupling nuts, a hole, and roll pin.

Bill

Bill

Attachments

#179 ·
Since you asked so nicely, I will. The large coupling nut slides down over the oil pump drive shaft. The roll pin engauges the slot in the shaft. This turns the oil pump, by use of the drill, sending oil thouout the engine, all the way up to the rocker arms.
If you could see the oil pressure gauge, (mechanical) you would see pressure.

The oil pump drive shaft, on the right in the first two pictures is for a SBC. AMC V-8's have the same kind of shaft. Don't know about the 258's never had a distributor out of one. Well I did, just didn't pay attention to the oil pump drive.
Maybe I should add, this tool turns the oil pump, just like the dizzy does.

Bill

Attachments

#180 ·
Bent the transmission cooling lines today, wasn't as bad as I thought.
Put a relay in for the distributor 1 wire hookup, the wire from the fuse block wasn't large enough.
Finished up some wiring to the electric choke with a ground to the carb.
Still need to get a radiator and cable shift linkage, for the tranny. The YJ was a 5 speed.

Ya'll have a great weekend, Bill

#181 ·
Can you demonstrate where the tool fits on the oil pump? Or is it the dizzy? I've read many times about this but never understood it. Thanks for the pics, Bill.

#182 ·
Skerr said:
Can you demonstrate where the tool fits on the oil pump? Or is it the dizzy? I've read many times about this but never understood it. Thanks for the pics, Bill.
Sure Scott, check back tomorrow night. It will be on a SBC, but the principle is the same.

Bill

#186 ·
This video is from one of our local Jeep club members, WDLN

WARNING: this video is family safe, but, the words damn, he!!, and **** are used a couple times each. its 26 minutes.

This was first posted in the Film, and Music section of Jeep forums. I was going to start a new thread, I didnt because of the language. If everyone thinks it ok to do that, let me know, and I will.

At the beginning, my 7 is the easter egg blue one, the 6 belongs to Fourtrail who posts here.

At the end of the video, 22 minutes in, the shot of the guy lying in bed. The cassette tape tilted Bruder, the sound is the cam gear drive, on Bruders Jeep. Whenever he wheeled it, thats all you could hear.

Bill

#187 ·
Here ya go buddy.
First picture I lined the rotor up in line with the engine. It doesn't have to be TDC. The distributor will go right back in where it was. The engine is already timed.
Take the hold down clamp off, and pull the dizzy out.

From there, insert the tool, drill attached, into the block. I used a flashlight to see the position of the slot in the pump drive shaft. Knowing the position of the roll pin in the coupling nut, it just takes a little rotation of the tool to drop down over the shaft.
From there its run the drill CW until oil comes out the pushrods.

Like in the previous post, this is a SBC. I did the exact same thing on my 304.
The last picture is the end of the dizzy and the tool.

The next post will be how to put the dizzy back in, right where it was.

Bill

Attachments

#188 ·
Putting the distributor back in requires the pump shaft to be rotated first. When the dizzy was pulled out the shaft turned.
Using a flashlight and long flat blade screwdriver, go down and rotate the shaft CCW, like 5 degrees.

It might take a couple trys to get the shaft in the proper position.

You can see that I started the dizzy back in with the rotor pointing a bit CCW from where it needs to be. The teeth on the dizzy and camshaft cause the rotor to turn CW when it drops down. Also notice in the last picture, I marked the position of the nipple of the vaccume advance. (Should do this first, but it doesn't matter on this engine.) I know where it goes.
Retiming the engine with a light is the last step, should be really close though.
On a engine that has sat for a while,or if installing a new dizzy, I put assembly lube on the gears.

Questions? And I normally use a bigger longer screwdriver, this one was close.

Bill

Attachments

#190 ·
Made and painted a jack crank for the 1978 CJ7. The new to me DD.
I decided to remove the electric fuel pump from the 1995 tank, and just put a tube extension and sock on. Also painted the top and screws.

Painted the skid plate and straps. They were a mess.

Yesterday put the new plug wires on the 305, ordered a new tranny pan to replace the rusted and seeping one, and bought fluid and a filter. Found a open element air filter assembly in the garage, I'll use it till more funds are available. Its not big enough, O well.

To do list.
1. Install fuel tank
1a. Buy and install radiator.
2. Buy and install new auto floor shifter.
3. Run all new lines to the rear brakes, and check them over.
4. New glass for the windshield. It currently has piece of duct taped in lexan.
5. Make a new tranny tunnel cover, shouldn't be hard, just use the old one has a pattern.
6. Repair the drivers floor pan.
7. Double check all the bolts that were taken out and put back, for tightness.
8. Put the hood scoop on the glass front clip and install it, Then paint.
9. Install the junk yard 4wd shift lever ( early 90's Suburban), and make a new rod from the TC to the lever.
10. New front and rear drive shafts
11. CJ dash install.
12. Mount a CJ tire carrier cause I'm using a CJ top on a YJ tub. I have this worked out and made, just need to install it.
And probabley 5 or 6 other things I can't think of right now.

The new DD for now, good running 304, Cept for a lifter tick, on #2 intake or exhaust.
Bill

Attachments

#191 ·
Shewwwt, Buddee... I could git that in one little 'ol afternoon's work. :D Is that an oven rack or a paint rack or some kind of shelf? Looks like a big oven. I don't remember reading that you are powder coating. How's the temp today, Bill? It was so warm here this evening that I did not go hunting, because the skeeters are so bad!

#192 ·
Ok I know the hood doesn't match. The original is rusty, (imagine that). I don't want it to get any worse.

Of all the Jeeps I've had, this is the only one with a factory clock and tachometer.

#193 ·
Skerr said:
Shewwwt, Buddee... I could git that in one little 'ol afternoon's work. :D Is that an oven rack or a paint rack or some kind of shelf? Looks like a big oven. I don't remember reading that you are powder coating. How's the temp today, Bill? It was so warm here this evening that I did not go hunting, because the skeeters are so bad!
It's a balmy 70 degrees where I'm at, and no skeeterz. It's not a oven, it's A fire hose dryer. Its vented to the outside with a fan. It also has a heater, but only gets to 100 degrees.
And so mister smarty pants. All the stuff I did today, was while at work. You know what that means, no one saying in a winey voice, "You going to be doing that, all day" I'll be checking Clays thread to see what YOU did.

Bill

#196 ·
It's a balmy 70 degrees where I'm at, and no skeeterz. It's not a oven, it's A fire hose dryer. Its vented to the outside with a fan. It also has a heater, but only gets to 100 degrees.
And so mister smarty pants. All the stuff I did today, was while at work. You know what that means, no one saying in a winey voice, "You going to be doing that, all day" I'll be checking Clays thread to see what YOU did.

Bill
You are so blessed! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.