Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Billy G's, YJ to CJ conversion, Trips and General BS

225K views 3K replies 80 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. My main problem is pictures being to big from the computer. The computer in question is a 1 year old MacBook pro, the iphoto is great, I just can't seem to get the pictures small enough.

I have several projects in the works, the first being a new DD. This is where the YJ comes into play. Its a 1989, came with a 4 cyl. that I sold for $50, beyond repair soft top, no gas tank, 1/2 hard doors with 2 different soft uppers, a funnel, set of ramps, and some new SS parts in a box, ( check the next post for pictures from my Droid. 96,300 miles.

The plan is a 305 Chevy/TH700r4/np241. I know the PO of this setup, milage is 130,000. It does need valve seals, the transmission was rebuilt 3,500 miles ago, and thats where I'm starting with the pictures.

As you can see, under the valve covers is very clean. the spring compression tool came from O'reillys, the hose from a compression gauge I bought a number of years ago.

More pictures in the next post.

Bill

Sorry about the to large pictures.

Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#1,448 ·
VACJ7 said:
I like the TJs Bill. Are you just looking at Rubi's?
Right now we are. Seems like there are lot more JK's used than TJ's. Still haven't decided what were going to. I like the idea of it being in Michigan for their lack of salt use in the winter.

Good to see you posting Paul!

Bill

#1,452 ·
You always have the best solutions. Thanks!

So last Saturday I put a new MC on the YJ in Preparation for the Daughter and SIL to drive it for a while, or if I ended up giving it to them. I went over everything to make sure it was safe. Vicki even ran the vacuum cleaner. So it's good to go. They picked it up Sunday night.

So today was the day to make a Decision on the white TJ . After texting MoC for a while,( Thanks MoC.) I left for the car dealer, with a plan. And came home with a White Rubicon.
So Vicki and I are 2 minutes from the dealer, 20 miles from home. The SIL calls something is wrong with the YJ and he doesn't know what it is. He says its smoking and not running right, and won't move (damn YJ). He hasn't opened the hood yet, long story short I got the TJ and rescued the YJ . (Blew a AT cooling line, I fixed it on the roadside)

The Grandson is a happy camper, I tried to tell him it's only a YJ , but he didn't care . I gotta work with the kid, his dad has him brain washed into thinking the Packers and STL Cardinals are the cats meow, and he thinks mom and dads Jeep is awesome.

As for me, I'll still be DDing the CJ I posted the picture of the other day.

Bill

#1,453 ·
Congrats on the TJ. I'd wheel a YJ- as long as I had some form of CJ to maintain equilibrium.

#1,454 ·
Update your sig when you get a chance!:laugh:

#1,456 ·
W_A_Watson_II said:
Congratulations on the TJ Bill, but gee, as long as your hard on the YJ, it will keep calling your name for repairs!
You are a wise man Will.

Thank you , bill

#1,458 ·
gmakra said:
Oh Nooooooooooooooooo first the Skipper goes out and gets himself a Yuppiefied Cherokee and now Bill is going down the route of becoming Yuppiefied!
TJ = tough jeep.

#1,461 ·
Don't bother reading MoC, it's a cut and paste.

TJ impressions , rides good , controls easy to reach, great radio, the only minus is , well there's a couple, Payments, center counsel holds 1 pair of gloves, due to the sub speaker, dash lights at night reflect off the drivers window, making it had to see traffic when pulling out. Doesn't have the classic lines of the CJ , driving it is just like any other new car, similar to Vicki's Grand Cherokee, only the ride isn't as good. All plastic.
Driving the CJ is more fun.

So enough about the TJ.
Bill

#1,462 ·
Don't bother reading MoC, it's a cut and paste.

TJ impressions , rides good , controls easy to reach, great radio, the only minus is , well there's a couple, Payments, center counsel holds 1 pair of gloves, due to the sub speaker, dash lights at night reflect off the drivers window, making it had to see traffic when pulling out. Doesn't have the classic lines of the CJ , driving it is just like any other new car, similar to Vicki's Grand Cherokee, only the ride isn't as good. All plastic.
Driving the CJ is more fun.

So enough about the TJ.
Bill
I know that was important for you!! :rofl:

#1,463 ·
Only bad thing about the YJ is the headlights!!! :p I thought about buying one for my boys and trying to make a CJ grill fit, but I figure with the cost of that I could get them a decent CJ, or maybe even a TJ.

And there is never enough talk about TJ's. Hehehehe. All those that mock them just don't understand... :D

#1,465 ·
I agree Jim.

I have come across a Jeep for sale that has peaked my interest . I don't know the price yet, and I have wanted a flattie. The seller also has a '54 3b basket case. This is the year I was born so there is a slight interest in it as well

Here's the description of the 2a

"1947 Willys CJ2A – fiberglass body, original diffs with 5.38 gears, spicer 18 tcase, GM Muncie 4 speed transmission, Warn overdrive unit, 327 c.i. Chevy V8, tunnel ram with 2-600cfm Edelbrock carbs, power steering, full cage tied to frame, bucket seats, this is a 'street' rig, not set up for offroad abuse. Runs and drives but is a bit scary above 65 mph. Needs a good paint job. Titled."

Here's the 3b.

"1954 Willys CJ3B – basket case. Everything in the basket except engine, transmission and transfercase. Previosly was set up to hold a chevy V8. Body completely apart, can be made to look good. Rollbar and front cage loop included, and bucket seats. Tires are rollers only. Titled"

Don't know a price on it either.

Damn, I just bought the Rubicon, and this comes up , crap.

Bill

#1,467 ·
Thanks Dave!

I need to find a solution the the dash lights reflecting on the drivers window at night. This was a real pain Sunday morning when leaving for work. It was dark, I couldn't see real good out of the dark tinted windows (factory tint) when backing out of the driveway. It's a 100' long with a 30° dogleg in the middle. The drivers mirror was useless as well because of the reflection, passenger side was out of adjustment. I ended up shutting the lights off.

Bill

#1,468 ·
The solution to the above problem looks like it's roll the window down.

On the 2a I mentioned , it's $3200, $2000 of which I don't have. Not even thinking about the 3b. I have enough projects already. I have talked to a friend who drove the 2a, he said it will break the tires loose in 3rd gear.

Bill

#1,471 ·
Outstanding Bill! your dog? your grandkid?:2thumbsup:

#1,470 ·
That kinda just made my day Bill. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.