Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Billy G's, YJ to CJ conversion, Trips and General BS

225K views 3K replies 80 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. My main problem is pictures being to big from the computer. The computer in question is a 1 year old MacBook pro, the iphoto is great, I just can't seem to get the pictures small enough.

I have several projects in the works, the first being a new DD. This is where the YJ comes into play. Its a 1989, came with a 4 cyl. that I sold for $50, beyond repair soft top, no gas tank, 1/2 hard doors with 2 different soft uppers, a funnel, set of ramps, and some new SS parts in a box, ( check the next post for pictures from my Droid. 96,300 miles.

The plan is a 305 Chevy/TH700r4/np241. I know the PO of this setup, milage is 130,000. It does need valve seals, the transmission was rebuilt 3,500 miles ago, and thats where I'm starting with the pictures.

As you can see, under the valve covers is very clean. the spring compression tool came from O'reillys, the hose from a compression gauge I bought a number of years ago.

More pictures in the next post.

Bill

Sorry about the to large pictures.

Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
This is the one I couldn't make, wasn't for a lack of trying.
The tire shots, 33/13.50/15 LTB's with 10 pounds of air.

Bill

Attachments

#33 ·
Cool Pics, Bill. What's going on with your shackle?

edit* You slipped one in while I was typing... last pic of your Jeep on the rock...

#34 ·
Cool Pics, Bill. What's going on with your shackle?

edit* You slipped one in while I was typing... last pic of your Jeep on the rock...
I think its the picture.It does look a little bent.I'll have to check it tomorrow. With only 33" tires, they do taking a beating on the rocks.

Back to the Badlands in Indiana for the last trip of the year, next Saturday.
Man I like offroading.

Bill

#37 ·
I going to have to say your correct on that one, I made every club trip this year. must have been at least a dozen,

The best one was the Black Hills in South Dakota. I'll have to do a youtube search on a obsticle called Fruty pebbles. we didn't have time for the main trail, we took the bypass that was a 4 plus.
I think I have some pictures of the Hills on my phone, I'll post them.

Bill

#39 ·
The Black Hill of South Dakota, earlier this year. Its a cool Jeep place. I prefer MOAB though.

The last picture is a unposed picture of me at a Fire. It was taken by a local Doctor, that thinks being a Fireman is way cool, I would have to agree with him.
Bill

On edit, the light blue TJ did a rear dig to slide the rear to the drivers side after the picture was taken.

Attachments

#40 ·
MoC, the reason I can't sell the boat, and my wife wouldn't let me anyway. The Grandson just likes it to much.

The last 2 pictures are my son and I. Sorry about the quality, I didn't have a digital camera in 1996. My son was 16 at the time. He died in a car accident in 97, I'm not looking for sympathy or empathy, I just wanted his picture in my thread.

A word to the wise. You can't spend enough time with your kids, cause ya never know.

Attachments

#42 ·
I like a little of everything. Mud is lowest on the list. Missouri trails are mostly rocky. with some dirt hill climbs thrown in.

Illinois are mainly dirt hills, V shaped ravines, and mud, Indiana is the same with a few exceptions.

the Missouri rock pictures look nasty. and they are. What you can't see is the the steepness of the hill.

Bill

#45 ·
His name is Blake, a lot like myself, machanical. The first time he helped me on a car he must have been about 3, we were lying under the car, waiting for the oil to drain. He fell asleep. I remember lying there just looking at him.

Bill

#46 ·
From 5th thru 8th grade we were into launching Model rockets. We made them in the basement, 3 of his friends were always there. All building rockets, me included. Our biggest was 4" in diameter, and 7' tall. We were members of a national rocket society called TRIPOLI. Right before we got out of it, I took the boys on a national trip to BFE, Kanas. Highest rocket launched was roughly 20,000 feet. We spent a lot of time together. I don't have to say, I wish I would have.
Our highest was 5,000 feet, we launched once a month. It was my responsibility to call the airport for a Notam (notice to airmen)

, for a waiver to 10,000'

I think this still exists, they meet in the Black Rock desert in NV.
Bill

#47 ·
We have a closet full of rocketry stuff. We seldom get one back!! It's fun to launch them and watch 'em go. We never got into what I would call a giant rocket like you guys did, though.

That's a cool picture the doctor took of you in your gear. :thumbsup:

#48 ·
1983, 4.56, Detroit rear w/ mosers, True-trac front w/warn shafts, 6 bolt hubs, MM lockouts, and a 1977 304. T-5, Dana 300, AMC20/Dana 30.
Dark Khaki Metallic, (1989/90 factory Wrangler color).
1" poly body lift, 2.5" 4wd springs in a SUA.

It took me a year to do, welded in a boat load of sheet metal, herculiner, seats from a S-10 (should have went with black leather), finished it 4 years ago.

Mistakes, got the wrong color guages, Diamond plate corners (need to paint them black) I did coat between them and the body with undercoating. Windshield wiper arm needs to be changed. It had a "c" bumper, took it off to redo.

It has 35's on it for the street, I change to 33's if I take it on the trail. The side steps are for the wife, rocker guards are 0.250"x 6" flat stock tied into the frame in three places. The thru bolt holes in the tub have a silcone ring of caulk around the holes, as do the windshield hinges.

Had it on the trails twice, Redbird in IN. And Flat Nasty in MO.
The wife says its to nice for the trails, ok, so I bought a 5 for that.

on edit, the tow points on the front bumper tie into the frame with the winch mount. I did all the work myself, with the exception of the paint. I have right at $6500 in it, started as a $700 Jeep.

Bill

Attachments

#49 ·
lucdog said:

I have right at $6500 in it, started as a $700 Jeep.
What a great looking '7!

I can see why you wouldn't want to thrash this one through the woods/trails!

Thanks for the pics/details on it!

Also, I like all the other Jeeps in the background...

#52 ·
What the Khaki 7 looked like when I brought It home.

Body mounts kind of holding it to the frame, lots of bondo with old sandpaper backing it up. Expanding foam behind the windshield hinges. Van seats that were 4" to high. Cracked block on the drivers side ( fixed it with JB Weld that held for a year)

Attachments

#54 ·
Thanks Jim, the Jeep was already painted except the dash. I had more paint, thought about it for weeks. Ended up with what it is. years later, I'm still happy with it. I used a xacto knife to cut the speaker slots.

When I herculined the tub I sprayed it. I used a small roller on the roll bar. Its way to rough,

Bill

#59 ·
I bailed out, let the Jeep go up by itself. You don't think I'd try to climb that. :) there was a little pucker factor, it sucked me down in the leather seat.
On edit, 57* on my droid phone inclinometer app. Had to keep the RPM's up. The BBD was flooding out.

I've been impressed with the Quadra-Trac this year.
Bill

#60 ·
The glass front clip, what would be the best way to fix the "little" hole? Should I use the scoop, glass it in and paint to match?

Bill

Attachments

#62 ·
The scoop would be an easy way to fill the hole. Cut the front open, or drill a bunch of small holes, and you turn it into ram air. Turn the scoop 180* and now you have an open louver to help move under hood air/heat.

#64 ·
The Badlands is only 1200 acres. There is a varied terrain, gravel,sand, and a mixture of both(its a old gravel pit, even at 57 I still like the full throttle assaults on the hills). A small rock quary, and mud. Its 2.25 hours from my house.
Mike, the hill climbs would really be fun in your Jeep.
Thanks for checking in, Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.