Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Billy G's, YJ to CJ conversion, Trips and General BS

225K views 3K replies 80 participants last post by  Skerr 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. My main problem is pictures being to big from the computer. The computer in question is a 1 year old MacBook pro, the iphoto is great, I just can't seem to get the pictures small enough.

I have several projects in the works, the first being a new DD. This is where the YJ comes into play. Its a 1989, came with a 4 cyl. that I sold for $50, beyond repair soft top, no gas tank, 1/2 hard doors with 2 different soft uppers, a funnel, set of ramps, and some new SS parts in a box, ( check the next post for pictures from my Droid. 96,300 miles.

The plan is a 305 Chevy/TH700r4/np241. I know the PO of this setup, milage is 130,000. It does need valve seals, the transmission was rebuilt 3,500 miles ago, and thats where I'm starting with the pictures.

As you can see, under the valve covers is very clean. the spring compression tool came from O'reillys, the hose from a compression gauge I bought a number of years ago.

More pictures in the next post.

Bill

Sorry about the to large pictures.

Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#104 ·
Not related to CJ's, but I did come across this yesterday. A co-worker bought a 2007 FJ Cruiser. It looks to have a 4" lift, I offered to take a look at it for him.
The first picture is the steering, I was surprised to see this.
The second picture is the rear strut for the sway bar, 3" to short.
I also found a broken shock at the mount, And A crack in the lowered member for the lift kit. A braided front brake line rubbing on a hard part.
Just thought I'd pass this along, all of us don't have just Jeeps.

Bill

Attachments

#105 ·
I've been looking for a used winch for some time. I found this one on craigslist today. 9000#, no remote, (not a problem, have one),with the fairlead, $240. It does have some slight surface rust. It runs quiet and works as it should.
There is a 8274 for $600, didn't want to spend that much.

Bill

Attachments

#106 ·
I've been looking for a used winch for some time. I found this one on craigslist today. 9000#, no remote, (not a problem, have one),with the fairlead, $240. It does have some slight surface rust. It runs quiet and works as it should.
There is a 8274 for $600, didn't want to spend that much.

Bill
Beginning to understand luc-dog... You lucky dog! Watch out for the lightning bolt!

#111 ·
Wow, Bill. I was gonna bust your chops for ruining your grandson's Radio Flyer (you really should be living down here... I have a single-wide already picked out for you!) until I saw him making glittery oatmeal, which I have never heard of, but would be an awesome tradition! You are super blessed Buddy! Did you get the room done? Do I need to come up there?

#112 ·
If I was going to move it would be Missouri! NO GATORS.

The wagon was the daughters. I don't think they ever used it.

The room is close enough, for heat. the SIL is out of cash, no rock on the walls. I may buy it for them, we'll see.

Yes, you do need to come north.:2thumbsup: for a visit. I have a bed for you and Beth, the boys can sleep in the basement. (thats the part, under the main living area of the home). And NO it doesn't have a dirt floor. :rofl:

Bill

#115 ·
That's sweet, Bill. Has your dad always had a spot light in his chest? :rolleyes: My dad has been gone 20 years now. What I wouldn't give to do it over.

#119 ·
A close call on the way to work this morning. Yesterday I was showing someone the engine compartment in my DD CJ. Never drove it till this am. It was dark, and raining, noticed the hood vibrating. Darn, forgot the latches. Only got to 35 mph or so.

Had it not been for the newly installed snow plow lights, I never would have noticed. The factory lights show a very small amount of reflection.
Lucky for me the hood didn't come up.

Another mile would have put me at 60, and a 35 mph head wind.

Bill

#122 ·
Finally got back to the main title of the thread. I pulled the engine back out to weld in the motor mounts.

I had to do some rearranging to get the YJ into the garage. pulled and pushed with the trusty DD CJ.

I had tacked the mounts in with my 110v mig. I wanted to final weld with stick. I used DC reverse polarity, 1/8" 7018's at 110 amps.

I found out something, I'm not as steady as I used to be, especially in tight quarters, those rods are long. gotter done though.
More pictures in the following post

Bill

Attachments

#123 ·
More pictures. I'm not sure on the brand of the mounts, I bought them a year and a half ago, for a CJ. I used a 3/16" angle iron as a spacer on the drivers side to line up the engine mount to the frame mount. It goes over the top of the frame. The passenger side is the same, but starts at the back of the frame mount, goes over the top ond down the outside.

Attachments

#124 ·
I also pulled a complete 1984 wiring harness from what the wife calls "The Clown Jeep"

I do have a question. The 305 has a carburator. I'm using a tank from a 1995 YJ. Should I use the electric fuel pump that's in the tank, and regulate it to the proper pressure. Or take it out, bypass it, and use the stock pump on the engine? The tank isn't in the Jeep yet.

Bill

#125 ·
And again thanks to VACJ7 for help with picture sizing, way back when it started this thread.

Bill

#126 ·
I forgot, Tuesday night a fellow Jeep club member gave me this Clifford aluminum intake, set up for a MC 2100, I'm told it can also be used with a 390 4 bbl.

Thanks Frank.

#130 ·
Yep!! Now we know what to expect, and we can subvert it! :p

Glad to see you getting some Jeep work done, and that there is no snow on your driveway.

#131 ·
Skerr said:
we can subvert it! :p
, and that there is no snow on your driveway.
Haha, not a chance on earth you can be subversive.

Yea, even after spending the $650 on the plow, if it doesn't snow, I'm one happy camper. Its as ugly as sin here, everythings brown, my least favorite color. Reminds me of the Brown lesiure suit, the X bought me, back in the day. MoC didn't have one, I bet you did. Probabley 8th grade graduation picture. You must have been a site to see. 100 pounds soaking wet and 6'2". Hahaha

And yes I did have my shirt collar on the outside of the coat. OMG what a stud. I was a John Travolta look-alike. Disco Fever buddy, lighted dance floor, Billy was a dancin machine. My only regret was, I was to young for woodstock ( didn't really understand the Vietnam thing either, 1 year short of the DRAFT). O-yea, Allman brothers @ filmor east, Iron Butterfly, The Doors, The Who, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Santana( my first 8- track) and the monkeys TV show. Way back, Superman on TV in balck and white, my favorite the stooges. Crap, can't remember what happend yesterday.

Looks like I'm off the conversion, and back to BS.

Thanks guys, you bring out the best in me.

And I'm still pulling wheelies on my ATV, a Honda 400 EX.
Bill

#133 ·
I DID have a brown suit! My hair was a fro! I had a brown '69 E-100 Van, a brown '72 Monte Carlo, and I had a brown '79 K5 Blazer too! I hated it when the 8 Track changed tracks in the middle of your favorite song! Watched the Monkees, The Partridge Family, Happy Days, and The Banana Splits. Music of choice back then was Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, Robin Trower, Traffic, Dixie Dregs, Chicago... oh man. And several others. NEVER liked disco or John Revolta!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.