BIG PROJECT!! '82 CJ7 Ltd Ground Up Build! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BIG PROJECT!! '82 CJ7 Ltd Ground Up Build!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #46
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
I've got one on my green Jeep. Fit is ok, but not nearly as nice looking as an original dash (it covers up the "Jeep" on the passenger side).

Don't remember who made them. I bought mine back around 2000 and IIRC paid about $50-60 for it.

on another topic.... what's your take on my axle situation? Prep & etch, sand as needed, paint.... or sandblast, prime, and paint?
(Note: I only have access to a blasting cabinet that is too small for the axles..... so I'd have to pay to get that done.... worth it?)

Also considering the standpoint of sandblasting removing more metal than chemical rust treatment.... what's the right move here??

82bigdogcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #47
wm69

Depends on just how nice you want it to be. If it were me I'd wirebrush them, prep and etch, prime, and paint.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...3-Parts-Needed

This guy has done about what you're doing. Lots of pics and pretty specific. Done on a budget too.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #48
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
Depends on just how nice you want it to be. If it were me I'd wirebrush them, prep and etch, prime, and paint.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...3-Parts-Needed

This guy has done about what you're doing. Lots of pics and pretty specific. Done on a budget too.
wow yea that is a pretty nice build. I've never thought of steam cleaning the axles first, I have to say. His prep and etch turned out pretty good on the tub. So maybe it'll be steam clean, wirebrush a bit, prep & etch, then prime and paint.

of course I might want to get my gearing changed and possibly do one piece axles before then, I'm not sure.
82bigdogcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #49
wm69

I sheared off about 4 axles in my tan Jeep before going Superior 1 piece. My green Jeep has the original 2 piece axles in it and I haven't had a problem from them. When I shear one, I'll go one piece, but I'm not going to replace my 2 piece axles till one fails.

I'm only running 31's, but had a buddy running 35's on 2 piece axles. I told him one would break, but it never did. Go figure.

I don't have a steam cleaner. I just wire brush everything, prep and etch, and then paint.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.