BIG PROJECT!! '82 CJ7 Ltd Ground Up Build! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BIG PROJECT!! '82 CJ7 Ltd Ground Up Build!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 09-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #31
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Those shackles don't look lifted. Must be springs to fit 33s

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Those shackles don't look lifted. Must be springs to fit 33s
Yea I doubt the shackles are lifted.... i had been asked how long the shackles were from eye to eye. I didnt know, but I also mentioned that they looked strange to me, so I posted a picture of them.

I'm thinking my springs must be lifted. Actually I'm hoping they are. Then I'll be able to explain why it could fit 33s, since the body mount blocks didnt seem like they were longer than stock. Then I wouldn't need to buy a lift...... Just maybe new shacklesl. I guess an add-a-leaf lift couldve been done, but I hope not.
82bigdogcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #33
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

for me to be able to run 33s on my CJ5, I'd need 4" of lift. I don't think you could score that much from an add a leaf.
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #34
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
for me to be able to run 33s on my CJ5, I'd need 4" of lift. I don't think you could score that much from an add a leaf.
yea ok good I thought that would be too much for an add a leaf. Although I guess an add-a-leaf and a normal spring lift could both have been done. I just don't like the add-a-leaf lifts cause it's just gonna make the ride stiffer than it needs to be.

That's a relief to know that it must already have some type of suspension lift. My rear driveshaft angle was getting just a bit on the steep side, and I didn't want to have to mess too much with the pinion angle or getting a cv shaft or anything. May still get axle shims though.

I'll have to measure those springs and shackles this coming weekend. Will the measurement while the springs are installed be accurate or do I have to take them off to get the correct reading?
Unread 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #35
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

got the rest of the new frame painted over the weekend!!

I'll measure the sprigns when I get the axles off the old frame. Once I get the axles off, I think I will try and get some phosphoric acid and spray it on the axle so it can eat through the rust (once I get it off the old frame) then it will be a lot easier for me to sand any remaining rust off the axles and then paint them.

what do I watch out for? other than wearing glasses and gloves so i don't go blind. and not rinsing the axles with water and letting the acid eat through the steel haha.

muriatic acid is too strong right?
Unread 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Go to home depot and buy "prep n etch" it kills rust easy, isn't super deadly, and the guys on the forum love this stuff!
image-3251360343.jpg  
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #37
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Go to home depot and buy "prep n etch" it kills rust easy, isn't super deadly, and the guys on the forum love this stuff!
ok, interesting. never heard of it, I'll have to look it up. Does it kill rust over like a certain extended period of time or is it like an instant reaction like acid? guess I should just look it up lol
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

well just looked it up real quick.... so it's based from phosphoric acid. My question is how much weaker is it than straight phosphoric acid?
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #39
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I guess you leave it on overnight, then wash or wire wheel the residue off after a day or two of its bad rust.
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #40
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Yea from what I read briefly, thats what it appears you have to do. I wonder though whether the phosphorus based "prep and etch" is more watered down than just plain phosphoric acid. I should get a chemical breakdown sheet of that stuff. Plus, I dont think phosphorus leaves a sticky residue when it dries. Not sure though, I'll have to look that up.
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #41
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

well.... it's been a while. I keep forgetting to take my camera with me when I go to work on the jeep. I have one little picture from my phone though.

Long story short, I got both axles off the old frame, and just slapped them on the new one real quick, didn't mount up the rear of the rear shackles or the front of the front. Just bolted the front rear springs and same with the rear front ones.

Probably won't be able to get much more done before spring. Next step was going to be to de-rust the axles with acid, but they may just get sandblasted come springtime. I'm not sure.
Would blasting the axles take more metal off then I want? Or if I used a softer media like walnut shells (too soft) or whatever... would that work without removing too much metal??
Here it is as it sits.

Next little project is to fix the hole in the hardtop, and throw it on the jeep with some doors and the tub I just got. Not actually mounted, just to keep the frame safe from snow getting in and to keep it all in one spot. I'll probably tarp over the whole thing also.
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #42
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Other good news is.... I finally got a lead on a good glass tub! I wanted one with a tailgate.... but that's practically impossible to find... so after a few months I settled for this tub.

The end result of it all is this will be picked up from Atlanta and I will pick it up from someone in Ohio! Keep in mind here that Atlanta is a 12+ hr drive for me!! And I found someone who is already heading that way who can help me out and pick that up for some gas money. What a blessing.

It felt so weird looking in the Atlanta craigslist

So here it is, such a nice midnight blue. Unfortunately the top and doors are already sold.... but I did get the front clip with it. yea yea I know they aren't good for offroading.... and are inconvenient in a number of ways..... but this is in good shape..... and it matches the tub!!

Unread 11-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #43
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

also.... any ideas on this dash pad cover? It's supposed to slide over the original one. I don't think I've seen one before.... but I may have heard of them before.

Unread 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #44
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bigdogcj7 View Post
also.... any ideas on this dash pad cover? It's supposed to slide over the original one. I don't think I've seen one before.... but I may have heard of them before.

I've got one on my green Jeep. Fit is ok, but not nearly as nice looking as an original dash (it covers up the "Jeep" on the passenger side).

Don't remember who made them. I bought mine back around 2000 and IIRC paid about $50-60 for it.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #45
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
I've got one on my green Jeep. Fit is ok, but not nearly as nice looking as an original dash (it covers up the "Jeep" on the passenger side).

Don't remember who made them. I bought mine back around 2000 and IIRC paid about $50-60 for it.
hmmmm yea ok, that was my original concern, that it might not look very nice. he did tell me that it covers up the logo.... which I was also not too fond about.

He has a bunch of them that are new.... and he said $50 for it.... which isn't a bad price I guess, but I think I'd rather find a good condition original dash for it.

Thanks, that input helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.