Big Lime is growing!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Big Lime is growing!!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Big Lime is growing!!

Yeah.. got two wheels made and 42" TSLs mounted. Not sure whether to run fenders or not (hence one fender missing). Next up, is the rear 4 link. Had to booty fab a steering linkage so I could turn the Jeep around and get to the rear. I'll post the rear 4 link writeup in the "Fabrication" section.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
BigMike20

Wow! That thing is gonna be a beast! Ever since I started checkin out this forum, I've admired your Jeep and it just keeps getting better! You seem to know a lot about Jeeps and such so I just have a quick question if I could... Unfortunately, I have a 79 with the narrow trac axles. I've only got 32's on it now, but definitely want some bigger tires later. I found a set of wheel spacers made by Spydertrax which add about 2.5 inches of width for about $120 per axle. My question is... have you heard anything about these/are they a good thing to get? I'm not looking to have really wide tires, but I'm concerned about the height of the Jeep when I get bigger tires. It already has the 4 inch susp and 3 inch body, so I'm thinking that if I go any taller on tires, I also need to go wider. Well, just wondering if you had any advice. Hope your project works well for you, and have fun with it!
Unread 01-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the kind words. You know it's kinda funny looking back over the past 3-4 years with this Jeep. I've learned so much from it. Stuff I would've never dreamed about a few years ago (regarding fabrication) I do on a regular basis now.. great boards like this one definately help too I ran 2" wheelspacers on the rear of Big Lime for about the last year with no problems. They definately helped me gain some affordable width with the narrowtrac rear (50.5" to 54.5"). I say run 'em. Just make sure to periodically check the torque on the mounting nuts. As far as bigger tires lifting the Jeep.. remember that few tires truly measure out at the height stamped on their sides. Most 33s are closer to 31s. Most 35s are closer to 33-34s. My 42" TSLs measured out at 40" aired up with no vehicle weight on them. Plus, you only raise the vehicle by half the actual size difference. If you go from 32s (probably about 30") to say 35s (probably 33"), you'll actually only raise the Jeep 1.5" (half of the 3" or so difference in actual tire height). So you go up 1.5" in height and the wheelspacers will push you out 4-5" in width.. that should work out fine

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
TireFryerSS

Very awesome!! I was sooo wanting pics of your setup since that is exactly what I want to do with my new CJ.

Now, I'll have to get my butt in gear and find me a D60 front (already have a D60 rear) and get to work.

Damn, I am sooo jealous right now...ohh as for fender's or not...split the difference and go flat fender, best of both world's and looks the best IMO. Good luck with the 4 link, I cant wait to see pics!!
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
John C

Love it... what did the front axle come out of? I have a D60 full width that I was looking into useing but i would have to re-locate my leaf springs outboard. Yours look like there in the stock mounts. What was the donor? My pumpkin seems to sit further to the right than yours does. Oh yea, flatfenders would look awesome on your rig.
BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #156
84' Caribean Blue Laredo w/ black leather interior
Frame off restore 6 years ago
7 inch lift w/ 34" TRXUS MT
DANA 44 front Solid axle converted Model 20 rear
AMC 360 / T-400 / Model 300 transfer case
SOLD
but never forgotten

Quote:
If I can't hunt it, fish it, f**k it, or wheel it, I might not be that intrested in it
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
sircampsalot2

I'm just wondering what its going to look like when you install those Bushwacker extra wide Extend-a-flares on it so you can drive it on the street! LoL JK. Looks Nice It should go just about anywhere you would want to thats for sure.
Diamond Plate Rockers and Corners
2 KC Daylighters
4" RC Lift
Heavy Duty Steering Shaft
T-4 Tranny 300 Transfer case

[____]
OIIIIIO
[]=o=[] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/sircampsalot2/000_0005.jpg
sircampsalot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The axles came out of an 84 Chevy one ton military truck (M1008). It's a 35 spline Dana 60 front axle and a GM 14 Bolt rear both with 4.56 gears. The rear also came with a Detroit Locker. I've got the 35 spline outer shafts for the front and I still need to pickup a front Detroit or ARB. I had to outboard the front springs for that Dana 60 as the spring perches are about 31.5" center to center. I am going to flat fender it (I've already dovetailed the rear too). As for fender flares... it won't be seeing too much street duty anymore.. now I have a 80 CJ5 with an AMC 360/T176 combo to prowl around on the street. It's pretty quick even with the 3.54s. I'm getting ready to swap in a pair of locked 3.73 geared Dana 44 soon (donated from the green CJ). Thanks

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
Ritt
1948 CJ2A 

Damn!!

Looks GOOD!! Have you got rocks down that way? Once in a while I have to visit the yard but I've never talked to anybody about wheeling. Everybody either fishs or plays golf
Ritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.