Big guys in CJ5's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Big guys in CJ5's

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Big guys in CJ5's

Hey y'all, I'm a wayfaring stranger from the land of abominable coil springs. My TJ's becoming more and more of a trail rig and less and less my daily driver (the big diesel's taken over those duties mostly). As such I've been starting to look around for a decent CJ to use during the spring through fall for some semi-permanent doorless/topless commuting (San Antonio's weather allows for such things). However, I've been concentrating my search purely on CJ7's. I'd love an 8, but of course they're either expensive or in a junkyard. I'd love a 5 for that matter, but my main concern is that I'm 6'6". I'm only ~235lbs, so it's not really a width issue, but while I know I'd end up having to do something different with the seats in a 7 regardless (I installed Misch's Big Boy Brackets in the TJ, to give you a clue), it never really occurred to me that I might be able to fit in a 5.

So what's the verdict? Would it be possible for me to fit in a CJ5 with just a different seating solution, or is it mostly a lost cause? I now the tub's that much shorter, so...

Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
UbelGeist
1978 CJ7 

The front seating/leg room in my CJ5 is the same in my CJ7. The back seat is more cramped in the 5 and the door is shaped different which can make it a little more difficult getting in and out of it depending on how high of a lift you have, but the leg room is the same.
UbelGeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I may just have to meet up with someone around here who has a 5, and there's one guy with one in the Jeep club I'll end up seeing sooner or later, but because the tub is shorter I figured it was likely that the rise for the "bed" of the Jeep would be further forward, reducing the ability to move everything back with different brackets or whatever. I'm not talking about a stock CJ5 vs CJ7, as I'll have to do something about the seats either way. The question is whether it's even possible to do much with the seats in a 5.

PS The back seat probably won't even be in it...
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
The question is whether it's even possible to do much with the seats in a 5.
That's the problem. There isn't room between the seat back and wheelwell to move the seat back via customizing the sliders or whatever.

You can cut the wheelwell and make room, but it's more work than making room via seat location alone with a CJ7.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
UbelGeist
1978 CJ7 

I got seats from a 98 cobra mustang and put them in my CJ5. The only difference for you would be the shape for the door. I have 4.5 suspension and 2.5 body lift, and at that height the shape of the door is a little bit of a pain in the ***.
UbelGeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm 5'9" and my stock seat is against the fenderwell, plenty of room for me like that. You may want the seat farther back and that means you have to cut the fenderwell.
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
There isn't room between the seat back and wheelwell to move the seat back via customizing the sliders or whatever.
Exactly what I needed to know (and suspected all along). Thanks!

Oh well, I guess I'll count the 5's out of the running. Back to dreaming about beautiful 7's
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
LLUncoolJ

Hey guys. I am wanting to get into a CJ and have a line on a pretty nice CJ5 about an hour away. However, I am pretty big too, 6'2, 250. And let me disclose that I had a Suzuki Samurai in college, drove it for over 5 years. Not the best car in the world to take on a long road trip, but I had no problems driving it or getting in/out. The CJ will be a third car, weekend bumpin around type thing. Surely this thing is no smaller than a Samurai in the c0ckpit. What do you think?
LLUncoolJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You'd be surprised. Go try to sit in one and see for yourself, really, is the only way to see for sure.

I owned an original-body-style Miata (a '96) for a while, and I enjoyed it. I removed the arm rest grab handle (just two screws on a flat door panel) to give me a little more space for my left knee, and I'd always intended on setting it up for SOLO I and SOLO II type competitions, but never got around to it before I decided to get a Jeep. Having said that, I'm still very uncomfortably cramped in a stock CJ7 (well, at least my buddy's with aftermarket Corbeau seats on the stock bracketry).

This is why I already knew I'd have to do something about the seats if I were going to drive it around with any real frequency, and thus I wondered whether I would have the option to do much with the CJ5 seats. Turns out no, there's not much room to mess with it.
Unread 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Magical_Merlin
1976 CJ5 

Im 6'5 270 lbs and I have a 76 CJ5. It is a little tricky getting in and out. It just takes a technique. The factory steering wheel is large for my belly. I cant really use the bottom of the steering wheel. I am comfortable in the legroom but I would really like to lower the seat for some more headroom.
Magical_Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

I'm 6'4" and I have long legs. I can't comfortably drive my buddy's CJ5. My legs fit but it's working the pedals safely that gets me. Getting in and out is harder than it should be. My CJ7 on the other hand, is perfect.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm 6'3" and about 265 lbs, and I cut out about 4" of wheel hump and moved my seat back.
Worked well, took about 3 hours to cut, patch and Herculine over so you can't see my LOUSY welding.
(Pop rivets wouldn't have looked any worse! )

Keeps my knees off the bottom of the dash and I've got enough leg room to work the clutch now,
Always a good thing!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

I'm 6'5" 270 or so and I have a bad back and went through two hip surgeries, number 3 this summer, and I am fine in a CJ-5. I have owned one now since 1987 driven from Texas to Alaska put over 100k miles driving the 5's. The only problem I had was the angle of my foot while holding the gas pedal for long trips. I just made a tin sleeve so my foot could be flat on the floor and still hold steady one the pedal. I did get a Grant steering wheel which is a little smaller than stock. I don't have a problem getting in and out, but I have been doing it for 23 years. BTW I have a 2.5 inch lift and larger than stock seats.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
cigar51
1980 CJ7 

I’ m 6-3 240 and honestly my CJ7 is a little uncomfortable after the first 10 hrs. Mine has a tilt wheel that helps make long trips bearable. But with the top off and the doors gone my 30 minute commute can take an hour or more… some days it’s just too much fun!
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

While I'm only 5'8", I just spent the evening out snow-wheeling with two friends who are both over 6'2" and 200#, and they love rolling around in my 5. Not that we are gonna go do 8 hour highway rides, but neither of them have trouble fitting. One of them had a 1980 CJ-5, and all he talks about is how much he misses it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.