Bestop headaches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bestop headaches

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
mistrornge

1983 CJ7 

Bestop headaches

Not sure if there is a fix so just want to what experience others have had. I recently bought my first Jeep an 83 CJ-7 and the previous soft top was slowly falling apart.
The passenger side frame was poking a hole above the vertical bar for the door. Looked like a small plastic cover was missing. So I called Bestop and tried to buy the missing piece but they don't sell in components that small. So bought the passenger door frame piece. When I got it I could tell it would not fit my current frame (the current frame's rear frame bars are a single piece not two separate pieces and the top secures to the tub by snaps).
So I called Bestop to order the entire frame at once. Got the frame pieces to learn that there were several parts that are specific to a 7 that were not sent so again unable to install. Unfortunately I found this out when I got to that install step after removing my old hardware. After this order I also found fabric half doors so I called to order a the mechanism needed to secure the doors closed.
So I called back about the missing pieces and was told that Jeep owners should know what pieces they need for a Jeep and if I wanted them quickly I would have to pay for expedited shipping myself. So it will take about 7-10 days to get them with at least 3 of those forecast for rain. No interest in my problem it was basically suck it up we don't care.
Got the door strikers in and of course I need the pin type door mechanism.
Is this just me? I know I am new to Jeeps but this is painful when the company that makes the parts can't advise you on what you need.
Charles

mistrornge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
capt205
1983 CJ7 

There were and are a whole mess of combination's and changes made when it comes to tops and doors. Not to mention any changes or mods that a PO might have made.

Its best to read and ask here to kinda get an idea of what will work and what won't, and what to look out for as far as possible differences.

So no...its not you
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I have purchased some bestop products over the years and so far they have been good quality.

I always dealt with quadratec.com

good company and they offer assistance

I have a 1984 jeep and it came with a hardtop off a older model jeep, however it fits, but ordering parts for the hard doors is a trip.

jeep made changes almost every year (improvements I hope) but changes never the less.

might call quadratec and ask them what part number you need. once you find out the proper part number you should be able to solve the problem.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.