The Best Year of Jeep CJ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The Best Year of Jeep CJ??

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-11-2002, 06:37 PM   #1
KyleCox

The Best Year of Jeep CJ??

Me and my dad are going to work on a project car, and thought it would be a cj jeep!!
And we were woundering what the best year would be?? We are going to build it from ground up, it will be a rock crawler!!
thanx for any replies, lata
Kyle

Unread 03-11-2002, 08:45 PM   #2
nvyblue_cj7

I own a 1984 CJ7, and I have loved it from the start. I don't really think it would matter what year CJ7 you get/build, if it even does since your building it from the ground up. The design of the CJ's didn't change all that much over the years. But for a rock crawler? All bets are off. Id say go with any old CJ, period.

"pop the hood, POP THE HOOD!"
- a phrase commonly heard in my garage
nvyblue_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
SamFromCO

Have you considered a Scrambler. They're like a CJ7 with real wheelbase. They're easier to fit in a bigger motor and transmission and still have room for a driveshaft. You can leave the body full length and have some real room or shorten the bed to get a better departure angle. And they're fairly rare which is cool.
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:23 AM   #4
4wheeler4CJ

Any year CJ as a base will be good, because by the time you get done, it will be a mix-match of years and new parts anyway, LOL. Usually the only thing that represents the year is the actual VIN Tag after you're done LOL

The one consideration is whether you want to use Wide Trac axles ('82-'86) or Narrow Trac (pre-'82). But you can still use Wide Trac on an older CJ frame, the only difference is the shock mounts, and you can buy them to upgrade the older frame to Wide Trac easily.

Have Fun!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:45 AM   #5
1911shtr

I have a 79 CJ7 that is 80% restored. It still needs some work. I use it as a daily driver. It has a V8 in it. The frame is great and the body and fenders are new. They are fiberglass. Comes with a hard top. Many extra parts too. If interested email me at CJ304V8@aol
1911shtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 08:37 PM   #6
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's gotta be a late '86. Dana 300, OEM Dana 44 rear, wide trac, and the fully boxed frame.
Hey, that's what I have...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.