Best Way to weld on axle tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best Way to weld on axle tube

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Jp78cj5
1978 CJ5 

Best Way to weld on axle tube

I have installed a sway bar on my 78 CJ5. I have replaced the lower spring plates with the ones that have two posts pointing towards the tire, one on each side of front axle. The rear post is for the shock and the front would be for the disconnect. The disconnects will not disconnect due to clearance problems. The JKS disconnects came with a tab that can be welded to the axle tube to act as the lower connection point for the disconnects. My question is simple. I do not want to remove the axles from the tube. I just want to weld the tabs. Is there a trick to not boiling out all the axle grease or is that not really an issue? I have ran searches on the topic but the search tool takes "Weld", "Axle" and "Tube". As you can guess, there are over 250 threads that have those words and although there are some really nice build threads, I am not finding the answer. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Jp78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Having a 4x4 shop do the welding would be best. You can wrap the axle tube either side of the weld in wet towels to absorb the heat. Weld short beads, with plenty of time between welding sessions to keep the heat build-up to minimum.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
HotJimmy

Just weld the little tabs to the axle. No problems.
HotJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Jp78cj5
1978 CJ5 

Thanks
Jp78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
justanotherjpr

I would just weld them on. Maybe weld them in steps if you are worried about it, rotating between each tab, each side.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Welding a tab your not going to build heat in the tube like you would on something larger. Skip around from side to side with some short pauses in between and you will be OK. Just make sure the metal is clean and get some good penetration. What welder/wire/gas are you going to be using?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You're talking about the front axle right? No problem as there is no oil in the axle tube. In fact, there is normally a space between the the axle shaft and the tube that would allow things to vent.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.