Best Swap for a Quadratrac transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best Swap for a Quadratrac transfer case?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
k1llerkyle

Best Swap for a Quadratrac transfer case?

I am having issues with my transfercase in my 76 CJ7. Wondering what you guys think would be the best swap out for it? Should I swap back in another? Is there something better I could put in place of it?

I have a 304 v8 with the th400 auto....

k1llerkyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Can you explain your issues? Many times simple repairs of the unit will far outweigh the cost of a swap.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
k1llerkyle

I think the chain is just stretched... seems to be slipping under load. I have not took it apart yet, but I am thinking that is what it is.

I was thinking a swap, as I know that the quadratrac doesnt have the best low range......

Thoughts?

Unread 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
1983 CJ7 

What do you use the Jeep for?

There was no way I could mistake the chain jump on my Waggie's QT...bang, bang bang during acceleration right under my butt. Splitting the case is an easy job, many will counter with the cost of the the QT fluid but it doesn't take much to fill it up.

The low range is 2.57:1 compared to the D300 2.62:1, virtually the same.
Unread 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

I'm with jeepdaddy on this. If you believe the chain is jumping (most times it's do to lack of service, changing fuilds, checking chain slack) your best bet maybe to just do a part-time kit for the tcase. Mile-marker makes one with 16% overdrive. You could do part-time kit and add a low-range unit and be done. If you decided to swap out the Quadratrac I think only a Dana 18 case will work with the offset rear diff. You will also need adapter and new tail shaft for the 400. FYI the adapter verse the conversion kit is around the same price of $500 and change. Don't forget you'll need to make changes to the drive shaft lenghts as well. Hope this helps a little.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
k1llerkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
What do you use the Jeep for?

There was no way I could mistake the chain jump on my Waggie's QT...bang, bang bang during acceleration right under my butt. Splitting the case is an easy job, many will counter with the cost of the the QT fluid but it doesn't take much to fill it up.

The low range is 2.57:1 compared to the D300 2.62:1, virtually the same.
YEP that is it.... i thought it was the rear driveshaft slipping.. but nope....

I use this jeep to beat around on the trails.. at least thats what I bought it for. It has a 4 inch suspension lift, 2 inch body, and 35s....
Unread 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
ndigilio3
1986 CJ7 

find a 300, buy an adapter for the 400, put it in and call it good
ndigilio3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would fix the quadratrac, I love mine with low range and TH400.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

I rebuilt my QT and TH400 and they are running just fine. I have read several articles online about the QT part time kit. It really does not improve gas mileage much at all, so I do not believe it is worth the cost, time effort.

Rebuilding the QT is most likely your best bet. Make sure you get a Borg Warner chain, not a cheep imitation.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

I'm going to have to agree with tossing it..... If it's an off road only jeep, there is no point in keeping the q-trac. Unless you can just get another, toss it in and call it a day, go with a 300, or swap out the auto for a manual.
Unread 07-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The pluses to the part time kit are the ability to unlock the front axle. This can be important if you have a failure anywhere in the front system. You will also get a bit better fuel economy, better steering manners, and a huge drop in wear in the front axle. It also eliminates the need for the expensive Q trac fluid. Either way, changing the chain is a pretty straight forward job. Much less expense and effort than a conversion.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the Dana 300 tcase rear output in the center? Since the Quadratrac Jeeps are offset to the pass side of Jeep wouldn't the angle be pretty extreme for the rear drive shaft to work with a 300 case?
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the Dana 300 tcase rear output in the center? Since the Quadratrac Jeeps are offset to the pass side of Jeep wouldn't the angle be pretty extreme for the rear drive shaft to work with a 300 case?
Yes and no. It really depends on the length of the rest of the drivetrain. With the auto, no way. With a factory CJ T18/ Dana 20, probably fine. So yeah, I stand corrected. However, this is only a rear issue, if it were me I would ditch the offset rear and get a centered axle, but that's just me.
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
The pluses to the part time kit are the ability to unlock the front axle. This can be important if you have a failure anywhere in the front system. You will also get a bit better fuel economy, better steering manners, and a huge drop in wear in the front axle. It also eliminates the need for the expensive Q trac fluid. Either way, changing the chain is a pretty straight forward job. Much less expense and effort than a conversion.
It's only 8.00 a quart so less than 25.00 from Crown...if cost is really an issue, you can use non-detergent 30W motor oil and a friction modifier.

If it's never on the highway, leave it in e-drive and weld the spiders.
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #15
1983 CJ7 

Sorry if I sound like a Quadratrac slut but I am...they are cool, innovative (when introduced) and reasonably strong xfer case with a lot of advantages for a dual purpose 4x4. I hammered my QT behind a strong 401 in my Waggie and it never whined. It may not be right for everybody or even the OP but a chain solves the number one problem in about 8 hours.

The NP205 may be a reasonable option behind the T400.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.