...$$$ best spent? two cj7's...thx! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ...$$$ best spent? two cj7's...thx!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
ferday
1981 CJ7 

...$$$ best spent? two cj7's...thx!

i have a '79 CJ7 that's been sitting in my garage for a year nearly untouched. the body is completely shot (mechs not much better), and thanks to a new job out of town 8 months a year, i have no time! i was looking at new tubs and stuff but it's in rough rough shape, it'll be 5+ years at this rate and i NEED a DD that i can work on slow and drive in the meantime

so...i'm looking for something with a good body to start over again.

the question: i'm looking at a '77 and an '85 right now. '77 is stock and has very good body/frame (90% on a new tub), interior is shot (body good but dash and seats need a lot of work, gauges don't work, etc), no tops or doors, new 31" swampers and has a rebuilt 305 (2000km), all for $5k.
the '85 has pretty good body/frame (80% on a stock tub, nothing major and floor panels are good) and fully redone interior (it's actually beautiful), a small lift (2" rancho, 2" body), hard/soft tops, crappy worn 33's, and a high mileage but clean inline 6, all for $7k.
they both run and drive fine, and i can't see any major mechanical problems during the test drives.

the project will eventually be an engine swap (probably 350) along with a much different lift, etc...but it might be a year or 2 before i get there.

so what do you jeepers think, is it worth the $2k and consequent budget stretch for a good interior and a few accessories for the exchange of some (minor) body work? for daily driving now, is the rebuilt 305 far better than the inline 6 with high k's, vice versa? '77 is my birth year so i'd like that...but hardly a deal breaker ha ha. are the newer models better for any reason?

opinions about anything else? FWIW i have searched the forums for a couple days and read a lot of stuff...but if i get either of these i'll have to jump on it in the next few days. thanks in advance, i appreciate any input at all!

ferday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I feel bad that $7000 will get you something that needs that much work up there. I'd spend the extra money for a plane ticket and get this guy to $6000-6500 and drive back home.
http://staugustine.craigslist.org/cto/3737340028.html

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.